Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 02:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, that first sentence is true up to a point, but not using those lenses natively isn't that big a deal, really. It's not like you are loosing much (only exif data communication, really) using them with an adapter on another camera make, for instance Sony FE or maybe this new FF Pentax. T/S lenses are used manually, so...
Using lenses through an adapter always adds potential for mis-alignment though, including of course extension tubes and tele converters, but even without any additional contact surfaces, it was discovered that the A7/R had a mount that wasn't fully metal and actually had some flex to it; leading to aftermarket options.

QuoteOriginally posted by xpixel Quote
Very good price for the new 5DS and 5DS R. More than half a 645z...
5DS is about the price I originally paid for my 5D2, so not bad at all, but the A7R is almost half the price still. I guess we'll see whether resolution or DR/noise wins out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Chances are few of the latest L Zoom lenses will be able to cut it, even some primes will be out. The newly released EF 100-400mm f/5.6 will run into diffraction before it reaches its performance peak.
Diffraction is what will drive sensor sizes up eventually. At a high enough resolution you have to go wide open to prevent diffraction softening, but not so wide that the lens can't resolve any detail, not every lens can be Otus-class.

02-07-2015, 02:51 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
5DS is about the price I originally paid for my 5D2, so not bad at all, but the A7R is almost half the price still. I guess we'll see whether resolution or DR/noise wins out.
There are many that say it is the same as the latest generation of Canon sensors - no big leaps in technology at this point.
02-07-2015, 03:34 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Canon has said that it had this sensor in mind when doing some of its recent lenses, so you are looking at the latest version of 24 - 70, and the newest 70 - 200 2.8L as well as some of the new L primes.
02-07-2015, 04:37 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
If I was in the mood for a high MP body to compliment my 645z, the 5Ds wouldn't be that camera. Not when an A7r is available at £1400.
The lack of dynamic range really, really kills it for me sadly.

As someone who has most of the Canon glass between 14-200mm I can stick it on the Sony instead and if I wasn't hungry for resolution I'd get the A72 which has IBIS. I don't like EVF, really I don't but as each year goes by I get more used to the idea.

Neither is a 'perfect' solution though and it's hard to talk with any certainty about a camera I've not used, but on paper you kinda wonder what they were thinking.
Perhaps, just perhaps there will never be a Sony / Canon sensor. If this turns out to be the case with the 5D4 I may reconsider my commitment to Canon. I'm already considering it to be honest but I'm eagerly waiting to see what Sony comes up with in the next months.

Ideally I'd love a 50mp MF Mamiya 7 styled camera, damn, I'd jump on one of those....

02-07-2015, 05:11 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Giles Quote
If I was in the mood for a high MP body to compliment my 645z, the 5Ds wouldn't be that camera. Not when an A7r is available at £1400.

As someone who has most of the Canon glass between 14-200mm I can stick it on the Sony instead and if I wasn't hungry for resolution I'd get the A72 which has IBIS. I don't like EVF, really I don't but as each year goes by I get more used to the idea.

Neither is a 'perfect' solution though and it's hard to talk with any certainty about a camera I've not used, but on paper you kinda wonder what they were thinking.
Perhaps, just perhaps there will never be a Sony / Canon sensor. If this turns out to be the case with the 5D4 I may reconsider my commitment to Canon. I'm already considering it to be honest but I'm eagerly waiting to see what Sony comes up with in the next months.

Ideally I'd love a 50mp MF Mamiya 7 styled camera, damn, I'd jump on one of those....
I'm looking to see what Sony does with the A7RII. The advantage of Sony being so open to adaptors is amazing, it means I don't have to start again with glass. I would for example keep the Nikon glass that I have already (14 - 24 especially, though I also have 24 - 70, 70 - 200 f/4 200 macro Af-S 300 f/4) and apart from the 24 - 70 which I would most likely sell with the D800E to replace with a Zeiss 24 - 70 - I had the one before with the A900 and it was a stonking good lens, but was stolen from my brother in laws place in a break in.
02-07-2015, 06:25 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
Using lenses through an adapter always adds potential for mis-alignment though, including of course extension tubes and tele converters, but even without any additional contact surfaces, it was discovered that the A7/R had a mount that wasn't fully metal and actually had some flex to it; leading to aftermarket options.
Potential, sure, but plenty of adapters are working just fine, like mine. For every 1 complaint you see on the interweb, there's probably a very large number with no problems---and the problems are often associated with cheap stuff. And I think the A7R mount is all metal---it was the A7 mount that wasn't.

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 08:29 AM ----------

Agree completely.

QuoteQuote:

Agree again.
QuoteQuote:

One more agree! Hat-trick.

Last edited by texandrews; 02-07-2015 at 06:31 AM.
02-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Hi Chris,

I was looking forward to getting the 645Z but with the recent Pentax FF announcement and the pending/possible Sony high MP body coming up, I may hold off. I know that the 645Z DR is high and that is one of the things I am looking for. My main area of interest is stitched panoramic images. Because of the prints sizes I am aiming for, no single shot camera has enough resolution. How big of prints do you do with your 645Z?

Thanks,
Boris
02-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #38

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Hi Chris,

I was looking forward to getting the 645Z but with the recent Pentax FF announcement and the pending/possible Sony high MP body coming up, I may hold off. I know that the 645Z DR is high and that is one of the things I am looking for. My main area of interest is stitched panoramic images. Because of the prints sizes I am aiming for, no single shot camera has enough resolution. How big of prints do you do with your 645Z?

Thanks,
Boris
There's something sexy and refined about the large sensor look neither the Sony or Pentax FF can compete, but also on the Pentax FF, it's still vapourware until available to purchase. Same with the 5Ds.

On the subject of resolution it depends on what you want to use the print for. I've a 30x20" print on my wall, it looks great and the file size was 3500 pixel on the long edge. So about 25mp. As with any wall art, the bigger it is, the further away you need to be to view it in it's entirety. A FF sensor camera will do a great job but for that MF look you'll only get that with the Z.

I shoot and stitch A LOT. But honestly that's for my own greedy pixel peeping than for what it'll look like in print. I don't print much btw. If I was going to do gallery stuff on Giclee I would be going all out on the Z.

02-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #39
Pentaxian

There's something sexy and refined about the large sensor look neither the Sony or Pentax FF can compete, but also on the Pentax FF, it's still vapourware until available to purchase. Same with the 5Ds.

On the subject of resolution it depends on what you want to use the print for. I've a 30x20" print on my wall, it looks great and the file size was 3500 pixel on the long edge. So about 25mp. As with any wall art, the bigger it is, the further away you need to be to view it in it's entirety. A FF sensor camera will do a great job but for that MF look you'll only get that with the Z.

I shoot and stitch A LOT. But honestly that's for my own greedy pixel peeping than for what it'll look like in print. I don't print much btw. If I was going to do gallery stuff on Giclee I would be going all out on the Z.
Thanks Chris. The prints will be wider than 10ft. I think stitching is in order for sure. I guess I have to test before committing to a larger sensor camera. I was so sure it was going to be the 645z that I went ahead and purchased three lenses before I even got the body. Granted they are all legacy lenses and did not cost the fortune Pentax is asking for the new glass.

I tried the 645z at the CES show but show floor is no place to properly test a camera. I guess I have to rent if I want to be sure.
02-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #40

Nothing will ever make me go back to 35mm. I have shot both canon 5d III and nikon D800 but have recently moved to Pentax MF and will never look back, strickly speaking in terms of image quality. Also as a professional Photoshop user in fashion advertising, editing MF files almost exclusively I can objectively say 35mm cant touch the look and quality of MF, trying to compare the two is totally unfair to each.

Given that the sensors in new Canon bodies have the same pixel size as the old 7D crop sensor I cant really hold much hope in regards to the image quality. At this point we have only heard Canon's pre release reviews, which you can be sure are very carefully handpicked and manicured to suit. Until we can see real world unbiased samples and reviews its all just speculation.