Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 02:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Kolor-Pikker's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 341
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, that first sentence is true up to a point, but not using those lenses natively isn't that big a deal, really. It's not like you are loosing much (only exif data communication, really) using them with an adapter on another camera make, for instance Sony FE or maybe this new FF Pentax. T/S lenses are used manually, so...
Using lenses through an adapter always adds potential for mis-alignment though, including of course extension tubes and tele converters, but even without any additional contact surfaces, it was discovered that the A7/R had a mount that wasn't fully metal and actually had some flex to it; leading to aftermarket options.

QuoteOriginally posted by xpixel Quote
Very good price for the new 5DS and 5DS R. More than half a 645z...
5DS is about the price I originally paid for my 5D2, so not bad at all, but the A7R is almost half the price still. I guess we'll see whether resolution or DR/noise wins out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Chances are few of the latest L Zoom lenses will be able to cut it, even some primes will be out. The newly released EF 100-400mm f/5.6 will run into diffraction before it reaches its performance peak.
Diffraction is what will drive sensor sizes up eventually. At a high enough resolution you have to go wide open to prevent diffraction softening, but not so wide that the lens can't resolve any detail, not every lens can be Otus-class.

02-07-2015, 02:51 AM   #32
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,744
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
5DS is about the price I originally paid for my 5D2, so not bad at all, but the A7R is almost half the price still. I guess we'll see whether resolution or DR/noise wins out.
There are many that say it is the same as the latest generation of Canon sensors - no big leaps in technology at this point.
02-07-2015, 03:34 AM   #33
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,573
Canon has said that it had this sensor in mind when doing some of its recent lenses, so you are looking at the latest version of 24 - 70, and the newest 70 - 200 2.8L as well as some of the new L primes.
02-07-2015, 04:37 AM   #34
Junior Member
Chris Giles's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 45
If I was in the mood for a high MP body to compliment my 645z, the 5Ds wouldn't be that camera. Not when an A7r is available at £1400.
The lack of dynamic range really, really kills it for me sadly.

As someone who has most of the Canon glass between 14-200mm I can stick it on the Sony instead and if I wasn't hungry for resolution I'd get the A72 which has IBIS. I don't like EVF, really I don't but as each year goes by I get more used to the idea.

Neither is a 'perfect' solution though and it's hard to talk with any certainty about a camera I've not used, but on paper you kinda wonder what they were thinking.
Perhaps, just perhaps there will never be a Sony / Canon sensor. If this turns out to be the case with the 5D4 I may reconsider my commitment to Canon. I'm already considering it to be honest but I'm eagerly waiting to see what Sony comes up with in the next months.

Ideally I'd love a 50mp MF Mamiya 7 styled camera, damn, I'd jump on one of those....

02-07-2015, 05:11 AM   #35
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,573
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Giles Quote
If I was in the mood for a high MP body to compliment my 645z, the 5Ds wouldn't be that camera. Not when an A7r is available at £1400.
The lack of dynamic range really, really kills it for me sadly.

As someone who has most of the Canon glass between 14-200mm I can stick it on the Sony instead and if I wasn't hungry for resolution I'd get the A72 which has IBIS. I don't like EVF, really I don't but as each year goes by I get more used to the idea.

Neither is a 'perfect' solution though and it's hard to talk with any certainty about a camera I've not used, but on paper you kinda wonder what they were thinking.
Perhaps, just perhaps there will never be a Sony / Canon sensor. If this turns out to be the case with the 5D4 I may reconsider my commitment to Canon. I'm already considering it to be honest but I'm eagerly waiting to see what Sony comes up with in the next months.

Ideally I'd love a 50mp MF Mamiya 7 styled camera, damn, I'd jump on one of those....
I'm looking to see what Sony does with the A7RII. The advantage of Sony being so open to adaptors is amazing, it means I don't have to start again with glass. I would for example keep the Nikon glass that I have already (14 - 24 especially, though I also have 24 - 70, 70 - 200 f/4 200 macro Af-S 300 f/4) and apart from the 24 - 70 which I would most likely sell with the D800E to replace with a Zeiss 24 - 70 - I had the one before with the A900 and it was a stonking good lens, but was stolen from my brother in laws place in a break in.
02-07-2015, 06:25 AM   #36
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 548
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
Using lenses through an adapter always adds potential for mis-alignment though, including of course extension tubes and tele converters, but even without any additional contact surfaces, it was discovered that the A7/R had a mount that wasn't fully metal and actually had some flex to it; leading to aftermarket options.
Potential, sure, but plenty of adapters are working just fine, like mine. For every 1 complaint you see on the interweb, there's probably a very large number with no problems---and the problems are often associated with cheap stuff. And I think the A7R mount is all metal---it was the A7 mount that wasn't.

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 08:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Giles Quote
If I was in the mood for a high MP body to compliment my 645z, the 5Ds wouldn't be that camera. Not when an A7r is available at £1400.
The lack of dynamic range really, really kills it for me sadly.
Agree completely.

QuoteQuote:
As someone who has most of the Canon glass between 14-200mm I can stick it on the Sony instead and if I wasn't hungry for resolution I'd get the A72 which has IBIS. I don't like EVF, really I don't but as each year goes by I get more used to the idea.

Neither is a 'perfect' solution though and it's hard to talk with any certainty about a camera I've not used, but on paper you kinda wonder what they were thinking.
Agree again.
QuoteQuote:
Perhaps, just perhaps there will never be a Sony / Canon sensor. If this turns out to be the case with the 5D4 I may reconsider my commitment to Canon. I'm already considering it to be honest but I'm eagerly waiting to see what Sony comes up with in the next months.

Ideally I'd love a 50mp MF Mamiya 7 styled camera, damn, I'd jump on one of those....
One more agree! Hat-trick.

Last edited by texandrews; 02-07-2015 at 06:31 AM.
02-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #37
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 869
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Giles Quote
If I was in the mood for a high MP body to compliment my 645z, the 5Ds wouldn't be that camera. Not when an A7r is available at £1400.
The lack of dynamic range really, really kills it for me sadly.

As someone who has most of the Canon glass between 14-200mm I can stick it on the Sony instead and if I wasn't hungry for resolution I'd get the A72 which has IBIS. I don't like EVF, really I don't but as each year goes by I get more used to the idea.

Neither is a 'perfect' solution though and it's hard to talk with any certainty about a camera I've not used, but on paper you kinda wonder what they were thinking.
Perhaps, just perhaps there will never be a Sony / Canon sensor. If this turns out to be the case with the 5D4 I may reconsider my commitment to Canon. I'm already considering it to be honest but I'm eagerly waiting to see what Sony comes up with in the next months.

Ideally I'd love a 50mp MF Mamiya 7 styled camera, damn, I'd jump on one of those....
Hi Chris,

I was looking forward to getting the 645Z but with the recent Pentax FF announcement and the pending/possible Sony high MP body coming up, I may hold off. I know that the 645Z DR is high and that is one of the things I am looking for. My main area of interest is stitched panoramic images. Because of the prints sizes I am aiming for, no single shot camera has enough resolution. How big of prints do you do with your 645Z?

Thanks,
Boris
02-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #38
Junior Member
Chris Giles's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 45
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Hi Chris,

I was looking forward to getting the 645Z but with the recent Pentax FF announcement and the pending/possible Sony high MP body coming up, I may hold off. I know that the 645Z DR is high and that is one of the things I am looking for. My main area of interest is stitched panoramic images. Because of the prints sizes I am aiming for, no single shot camera has enough resolution. How big of prints do you do with your 645Z?

Thanks,
Boris
There's something sexy and refined about the large sensor look neither the Sony or Pentax FF can compete, but also on the Pentax FF, it's still vapourware until available to purchase. Same with the 5Ds.

On the subject of resolution it depends on what you want to use the print for. I've a 30x20" print on my wall, it looks great and the file size was 3500 pixel on the long edge. So about 25mp. As with any wall art, the bigger it is, the further away you need to be to view it in it's entirety. A FF sensor camera will do a great job but for that MF look you'll only get that with the Z.

I shoot and stitch A LOT. But honestly that's for my own greedy pixel peeping than for what it'll look like in print. I don't print much btw. If I was going to do gallery stuff on Giclee I would be going all out on the Z.

02-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #39
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 869
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Giles Quote
There's something sexy and refined about the large sensor look neither the Sony or Pentax FF can compete, but also on the Pentax FF, it's still vapourware until available to purchase. Same with the 5Ds.

On the subject of resolution it depends on what you want to use the print for. I've a 30x20" print on my wall, it looks great and the file size was 3500 pixel on the long edge. So about 25mp. As with any wall art, the bigger it is, the further away you need to be to view it in it's entirety. A FF sensor camera will do a great job but for that MF look you'll only get that with the Z.

I shoot and stitch A LOT. But honestly that's for my own greedy pixel peeping than for what it'll look like in print. I don't print much btw. If I was going to do gallery stuff on Giclee I would be going all out on the Z.
Thanks Chris. The prints will be wider than 10ft. I think stitching is in order for sure. I guess I have to test before committing to a larger sensor camera. I was so sure it was going to be the 645z that I went ahead and purchased three lenses before I even got the body. Granted they are all legacy lenses and did not cost the fortune Pentax is asking for the new glass.

I tried the 645z at the CES show but show floor is no place to properly test a camera. I guess I have to rent if I want to be sure.
02-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #40
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 13
Nothing will ever make me go back to 35mm. I have shot both canon 5d III and nikon D800 but have recently moved to Pentax MF and will never look back, strickly speaking in terms of image quality. Also as a professional Photoshop user in fashion advertising, editing MF files almost exclusively I can objectively say 35mm cant touch the look and quality of MF, trying to compare the two is totally unfair to each.

Given that the sensors in new Canon bodies have the same pixel size as the old 7D crop sensor I cant really hold much hope in regards to the image quality. At this point we have only heard Canon's pre release reviews, which you can be sure are very carefully handpicked and manicured to suit. Until we can see real world unbiased samples and reviews its all just speculation.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, a7r, camera, canon, medium format, mount, sony
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Game Changer in Print Delivery Prairie Dog Photographic Industry and Professionals 4 04-01-2014 09:54 AM
Could this be a game changer? itshimitis Pentax Medium Format 25 09-22-2012 03:57 AM
Sony's "game changer" ? NickLarsson Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 14 09-09-2012 11:52 AM
Sigma 85mm 1.4, A game changer??? outsider Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 144 04-04-2011 05:15 PM
Game Changer? techmulla Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 49 09-09-2010 03:14 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top