Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2015, 07:15 PM - 2 Likes   #16

For me getting the 645z and selling my Canon gear was not only because of the sensor, but the overall handling and the "perfect for manual focusing" viewfinder. Not to mention the real weather sealing for desert shoots here was a plus. (my Canon was a nightmare with shooting off road events, nothing worse then a sandy scratchy sound in the lens focusing).

02-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Since for a standard frame you're cropping to 4x5 even the 4:3 costs you resolution, the 3:2 costs you even more. Unless of course you are printing 6x4s, and you hardly need 50 MP to print a 3x6. 30x40 canvasses on the other hand a re quite common, for 3x4 printing.
I do not lose any resolution from my 645D & Z files. 'Standard frame' sizes don't apply. I print and sell my own canvas prints, 40x30 and 50x37.5 are my most common sizes. 50mp resolution is far from overkill at these sizes - a lot of fulltime fine art photographers are using the 80mp Phase One.
02-05-2015, 02:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Full Frame DSLR Officially Announced! - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com <= this is THE game changer
02-05-2015, 03:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Why do you say that? Did I miss the specs somewhere?

02-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I'm with Seattle Ducks on the aspect ratio. When shooting with the D800E, I often crop to 4:3 as I find the 3:2 ratio too similar to widescreen - too narrow. I'm keeping an eye on the A7RII and would be tempted to sell my Nikon D800E to get it and would prefer the Sony Zeiss 24 - 70 over the Nikon 24 - 70 which is soft at the corners when shooting wide and has pronounced CA too between 24 and 28mm. I've spoken about this lens on Nikon Rumours and was shouted down by others saying I was talking nonsense. The current 24 - 70 Nikon is identical in EVERY way to the original Canon L 24 - 70. Even down to the front element being level with the lens body at 51mm.
02-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Its official, @ Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

50mp 35mm bodes are coming. Quote from preview"As far as dynamic range is concerned, we're told that the new 5DS and 5DS R should give the same performance as the current EOS 5D Mark III. If true, this means that the new cameras won't be able to offer the same industry-leading dynamic range of Sony's current APS-C and full-frame sensors, but at least it isn't a step backwards. And hey - 50MP!"
02-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why do you say that? Did I miss the specs somewhere?
No, it just means that all the FF advocates* are going to have to find another game to play than "how many pages can we get on this thread"

*self confessed Full Frame addict

02-06-2015, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
Its official, @ Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

50mp 35mm bodes are coming. Quote from preview"As far as dynamic range is concerned, we're told that the new 5DS and 5DS R should give the same performance as the current EOS 5D Mark III. If true, this means that the new cameras won't be able to offer the same industry-leading dynamic range of Sony's current APS-C and full-frame sensors, but at least it isn't a step backwards. And hey - 50MP!"
The same noise and DR performance as other Canon cameras? I don't think that's as much of a plus as Canon seems to think it is. This is the camera Canon should have rolled out around the same time as Nikon outed the D800, and by now we'd already have had 5DS mk2 with improved features.

Just like with the 1DC and C300/500, Canon just loves being late to their own game. They invented the inexpensive high-res full-frame camera, but now others do it better. They invented the video DSLR, but now others do it better and it helped push the camcorder industry to widely adopt larger low-noise/high DR sensors, and now there are a plethora of excellent video cameras that can go toe-to-toe with cameras developed for cinema that cost 10x as much.
02-06-2015, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I think it is a lost opportunity. If they had got DR to 14 stops, then this might have been a game changer. Whereas you can print bigger so you can see the low ISO noise banding even bigger than before. A pity.
02-06-2015, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
The same noise and DR performance as other Canon cameras? I don't think that's as much of a plus as Canon seems to think it is. This is the camera Canon should have rolled out around the same time as Nikon outed the D800, and by now we'd already have had 5DS mk2 with improved features.

Just like with the 1DC and C300/500, Canon just loves being late to their own game. They invented the inexpensive high-res full-frame camera, but now others do it better. They invented the video DSLR, but now others do it better and it helped push the camcorder industry to widely adopt larger low-noise/high DR sensors, and now there are a plethora of excellent video cameras that can go toe-to-toe with cameras developed for cinema that cost 10x as much.
I do sort of wonder what the point is. Feels like a landscape camera, but one that in real world shooting isn't going to quite measure up to the likes of the D810 and certainly is going to be behind the 645Z and similar medium format cameras.

I guess if all you are looking for is increased resolution, then this camera will offer it, but feels to me like landscape photographers are more interested in increased dynamic range and color depth and 35 to 40 megapixels would be fine for most images, as long as those are there.
02-06-2015, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do sort of wonder what the point is. Feels like a landscape camera, but one that in real world shooting isn't going to quite measure up to the likes of the D810 and certainly is going to be behind the 645Z and similar medium format cameras.

I guess if all you are looking for is increased resolution, then this camera will offer it, but feels to me like landscape photographers are more interested in increased dynamic range and color depth and 35 to 40 megapixels would be fine for most images, as long as those are there.
One thing's for sure - there are few lenses that can compete with what the 17 & 24mm TS-E lenses offer, and this camera will be the only way to use them natively and cheaply. So for those who don't want to use or can't afford a tech cam and digital back that can accept Canon's TS-E lenses, this may be a good option for those interested in architectural photography.
02-06-2015, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
One thing's for sure - there are few lenses that can compete with what the 17 & 24mm TS-E lenses offer, and this camera will be the only way to use them natively and cheaply. So for those who don't want to use or can't afford a tech cam and digital back that can accept Canon's TS-E lenses, this may be a good option for those interested in architectural photography.
Well, that first sentence is true up to a point, but not using those lenses natively isn't that big a deal, really. It's not like you are loosing much (only exif data communication, really) using them with an adapter on another camera make, for instance Sony FE or maybe this new FF Pentax. T/S lenses are used manually, so...
02-06-2015, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #28

The question is will the current lens line up be able to handle the 50mp sensor. You will have to use nothing less than Canon L glass. I have an office full of L glass and the most current lenses were developed when the biggest sensor was
22mp. I have read that most of the Nikon glass doesn't do justice to the D810. In my experience medium format glass has always been ahead of 35mm. I have used Hassy, Rollei, Mamiya, now Pentax and to me the medium format glass is magical, whether it be digital or film. If you want a big sensor size try a 55mm x 70mm and 354mg bit file scan. Of course you have to have a good scanner. Although the 645D,Z is not true medium format in the tradition of 645, 67 sense, they still the have bigger state of the art sensors and are able to use all the existing medium format glass. At one point Canon was considering going into the MF market. To me medium format like I said can be magical. I smile everytime I up load or scan MF files. The files I get from my 1DS 11 and 5DMk11 are beautiful but they aren't magical to my eye.
02-07-2015, 01:02 AM   #29

Original Poster
Very good price for the new 5DS and 5DS R. More than half a 645z...

Canon 5DS EOS DSLR Camera (5DS Canon Camera Body) 0581C002 B&H Photo

Canon EOS 5DS R DSLR Camera (Body Only) 0582C002 B&H Photo Video
02-07-2015, 02:09 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Linemrkr Quote
The question is will the current lens line up be able to handle the 50mp sensor. You will have to use nothing less than Canon L glass
Chances are few of the latest L Zoom lenses will be able to cut it, even some primes will be out. The newly released EF 100-400mm f/5.6 will run into diffraction before it reaches its performance peak.