Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

Pentax 6x7 frame counter will not advance

Hi,

I recently purchased a Honeywell Pentax 6x7 non-MLU camera in apparently excellent condition from a reputable seller on ebay who claimed that the camera was recently film-tested. I'm having an issue with the frame counter in that it won't advance with the lever at all no matter what I do. I do have a working battery in the camera (battery check light works). It's a roll of 120 and the camera is set to 120 mode in both locations. When I went to load my first roll of film, the lever worked correctly in advancing the film, but did not advance the frame count at all, and therefore won't cock the shutter. It's stuck at 4 frames before 0. The shutter fires correctly when I "trick" the camera into thinking it's loaded with film, but again, the frame counter will not advance. Am I doing something wrong, or is there something seriously wrong with the camera?

Unfortunately I missed the guaranteed money back ebay time window for a defective item, so I'm SOL on that front. I suppose I could load the film, advance the counter past 0 manually using my dark bag, and just count my shots, but that's not what I paid hundreds of dollars for. Any help would be very much appreciated.

02-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #2

Hi, having the same problem. Spent ALOT of money on mine and had to lie to the wife about what I paid to stop her from murdering me. So the thought of paying all this for a beautiful paperweight is making me feel ill. Any solutions!?!?
03-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Not sure if your counter issues is solved yet, but counter is actuated by the big roller just next to the take-up spool side. A gear inside runs the counter by way of a worm drive and when you open the door, it picks up the drive to let go of it. In "dry fire" or no film, the big roller is not going to move the counter. The things to look out for...
When the camera is empty and the counter is at start or pre-Zero, does the advance lever still able to charge the shutter? If yes, then you may have a problem with the cam inside or a ratchet not set in the right place or the counting cam is out of gear... stuck between 120 and 220. If while door is open and you are still able to charge the shutter and fire, then you have issues with the "duality prevent" linkage and related stuck as well as the "claw clutch" is not functional... interlock parts are not working. If you can go oh, but I know that annoys folks... drop me a line about symptoms if you wish. Otherwise, do seek Eric Hendrickson for repairs if you are in USA. If you take it to a local repair shop, do make sure the tech has the info on working with it and does not wing it. Good luck.
03-31-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Try changing the 120/220 selector on the side of the camera to 220 and see if that makes a difference.

08-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, what happened? I now have this problem. It stopped counting after 5 frames.
08-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That sounds like one of the oldest cameras in the 6x7 line up, dating to around 1967. Failures of mechanisms are going to occur due to age no matter how they have been used or how well they have been tested (and I do not believe the statement by the seller that the camera has been tested with film). You could try using your thumb to reset the counter to zero by rotating it until the 1 lines up with the tiny mark. It does sound to me like the camera has been put into dry-firing mode with no film in to test the shutter, and not reset after that. There is a specific procedure for doing this (I would not do it to my own, 1990s-era 67!).

As a side-note, I recommend people NOT buy any of the 1960s-era 6x7 Honeywell / Asahi-Pentax cameras because of their advanced age. I don't care how promising a seller makes them look. I know I will cop a flaming of my behind for saying this, but I am unrepentant.