Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 05:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 370
67 versus 645 for shift adaptor

I am considering buying one or more 67 or 645 lenses with a shift adaptor for my K3 to produce panoramas or higher res shots when they are needed. Can someone tell which format would be better from the lens perspective and any quality issues arising.


I am thinking of the Zork Panoramic Tilt adaptor as the tool that would mount the lenses. It appears both will mount to the same adaptor.


Thanks in advance for suggestions and examples.

02-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 844
I've not tried any 645 lenses mounted on a k3, but I strongly suspect they'll fare better than the 67 lenses that I have mounted via an adapter (I have 67 to 645, and 67 to k, but no 645 to k because I was a little disappointed with the 67 lenses on apsc). The difference in size between 55x70 and 18x24 frames is too big in my opinion - it's basically just optimism that it will perform well. The lenses I've tried have all been a touch soft, not to mention the ridiculous size of them! (Bokeh on the 105 f2.4 is pretty special though). [all of them are fantastic on film though]

The 645 lenses I own are damn fine in their own right, smaller, and I can't believe they'd perform worse than the 67's on apsc. I'd go that route myself.

The only problem with 645 lenses is that they are more expensive than the 67 lenses (due to the 645z I imagine!).

Last edited by robthebloke; 02-08-2015 at 05:32 AM.
02-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,007
There have been problems in the past with digital sensors accurately recording images from highly oblique light rays. That is the reason why designers had to design lenses a bit differently for digital cameras. Using a pano shift adapter will allow oblique rays to strike the sensor. How much image deterioration this will cause is unknown. Also, using the lens in a shifted position/off axis manner, you are using the outer part of the image circle. Stopping down is essential to prevent softness. Lenses designed to be shifted will perform better than ones that were not.
02-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 370
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
I've not tried any 645 lenses mounted on a k3, but I strongly suspect they'll fare better than the 67 lenses that I have mounted via an adapter (I have 67 to 645, and 67 to k, but no 645 to k because I was a little disappointed with the 67 lenses on apsc). The difference in size between 55x70 and 18x24 frames is too big in my opinion - it's basically just optimism that it will perform well. The lenses I've tried have all been a touch soft, not to mention the ridiculous size of them! (Bokeh on the 105 f2.4 is pretty special though). [all of them are fantastic on film though]

The 645 lenses I own are damn fine in their own right, smaller, and I can't believe they'd perform worse than the 67's on apsc. I'd go that route myself.

The only problem with 645 lenses is that they are more expensive than the 67 lenses (due to the 645z I imagine!).
Thanks.

02-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 563
I picked up a Zork Pro Shift Adapter - Z - which allows me to mount Pentax 67 lenses on a Pentax 645 body while using shift (and then mount that onto my Nikon F bodies). I also picked up the Multi Focus System - Tilt - with a Pentax 67 mount (as well as a Nikon F mount) to play around with enlarger lenses (macro and/or tilt ability). The nice thing about these two items is that the Multi Focus System can be mounted onto the Pro Shift Adapter to give you tilt and shifting. Sounds complicated, but it is a nice, well made system, albeit quite expensive.

For 35mm mount I also found a Mirex tilt and shift adapter for Pentax 67 lenses on a Nikon F body. This is also a nice, well made system, much less expensive than the Zork, but I only get the benefit for my Nikon F bodies as opposed to getting the Zork to work with Pentax 67 (multi focus), Pentax 645 and Nikon F (both systems multi focus and pro shift).


QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I am considering buying one or more 67 or 645 lenses with a shift adaptor for my K3 to produce panoramas or higher res shots when they are needed. Can someone tell which format would be better from the lens perspective and any quality issues arising.


I am thinking of the Zork Panoramic Tilt adaptor as the tool that would mount the lenses. It appears both will mount to the same adaptor.


Thanks in advance for suggestions and examples.
02-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 370
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
I picked up a Zork Pro Shift Adapter - Z - which allows me to mount Pentax 67 lenses on a Pentax 645 body while using shift (and then mount that onto my Nikon F bodies). I also picked up the Multi Focus System - Tilt - with a Pentax 67 mount (as well as a Nikon F mount) to play around with enlarger lenses (macro and/or tilt ability). The nice thing about these two items is that the Multi Focus System can be mounted onto the Pro Shift Adapter to give you tilt and shifting. Sounds complicated, but it is a nice, well made system, albeit quite expensive.

For 35mm mount I also found a Mirex tilt and shift adapter for Pentax 67 lenses on a Nikon F body. This is also a nice, well made system, much less expensive than the Zork, but I only get the benefit for my Nikon F bodies as opposed to getting the Zork to work with Pentax 67 (multi focus), Pentax 645 and Nikon F (both systems multi focus and pro shift).
Do you have some comments on how they work for you compared to 35 mm lenses when used in shift mode for paroramas or other applications. Any image samples would be great.
03-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 563
Mirex tilt and shift adapter for Pentax 67 lenses on a Nikon F body
Not much time to use it yet as I recently received a full frame body and used it sparingly with my APS-C body. The craftsmanship is very high, it feels good in use. I used to own Canon tilt shift lenses, a Hartblei 45mm Super Rotator (beautiful movements on this lens on a Pentax 645 body) as well as a Fuji GX680 system (front standard has movements) - and I really like the Mirex adapter.



this is a snippet of the email I received from Mirex Germany when I asked them for a tilt shift adapter for Pentax 645 lenses onto a Nikon F body.

QuoteQuote:
We can offer you the following possibilities.

1.Mirex Shift-Adapter for Pentax 645 lenses / Nikon camera.
(It comes to restrictions of the shift-ways at camera models with a big
prism housing. (for example Nikon D700/B800/.....)
Please take into account:
The used Mamiya 645 lenses should be used manually (aperture / focusing).
The TS-Adapter is conceived for lenses of 35mm to approx. 120mm focal
lenght.

2.Mirex Tilt-Shift-Adapter for Hasselblad lenses / Nikon camera. (direct
connection).
(The ts-adapters for Hasselblad lenses are usable without restrictions).
They can use lenses with the following name (C / CF / CFi / CFE / CB / FE).

3.Mirex Tilt-Shift-Adapter for Pentax 67 lenses / Nikon camera. (direct
connection).
(The ts-adapters for Pentax 67 lenses are usable without restrictions).

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Do you have some comments on how they work for you compared to 35 mm lenses when used in shift mode for paroramas or other applications. Any image samples would be great.
04-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Schwarzwald
Photos: Albums
Posts: 73
If you are interested in Tilt-shift-effects IŽll recommend buying a largeformat-camera in the used market. They are much better for this purpose and used, theyŽll be much less expensive than tilt-shift-lenses and probably even then those adapters. I bought two largefornat-cameras last year: One 13x18 cm for about 120 Euros and a 4x5inches for 199 Euro. They are filmbased of course, but you have a 13x18cm or 9x12cm "sensor" (which will outperform any digital sensor) and far better tilt- and shift-possibilities!

05-17-2015, 04:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 296
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
I picked up a Zork Pro Shift Adapter - Z - which allows me to mount Pentax 67 lenses on a Pentax 645 body while using shift (and then mount that onto my Nikon F bodies). I also picked up the Multi Focus System - Tilt - with a Pentax 67 mount (as well as a Nikon F mount) to play around with enlarger lenses (macro and/or tilt ability). The nice thing about these two items is that the Multi Focus System can be mounted onto the Pro Shift Adapter to give you tilt and shifting. Sounds complicated, but it is a nice, well made system, albeit quite expensive.

For 35mm mount I also found a Mirex tilt and shift adapter for Pentax 67 lenses on a Nikon F body. This is also a nice, well made system, much less expensive than the Zork, but I only get the benefit for my Nikon F bodies as opposed to getting the Zork to work with Pentax 67 (multi focus), Pentax 645 and Nikon F (both systems multi focus and pro shift).
Hi Yurihuta - any ideas where I can find one of these?
"Zork Pro Shift Adapter - Z - which allows me to mount Pentax 67 lenses on a Pentax 645 body"
I had a google search today but no luck,
Thanks , Ian

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/288180-67-versus-...#ixzz3aOVzQovV
05-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 563
The same person, Joshua, is involved with both businesses and is very pleasant to deal with.

Untitled Document

Nikon CPU lens

I have this adapter and am going to send it to Joshua to adjust a small bent piece of metal. After that I am thinking of selling it due to too much gear, too little time.
05-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #11
New Member




Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2
I am looking to use the Pentax 645 A 35mm on a Zork panorama shift adaptor attached to a Canon 6D.

Does anyone know if you get vignetting at maximum shift at all? I tried a Mamiya 35mm and it had fairly obvious vignetting.

cheers
05-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,491
QuoteOriginally posted by fstop83 Quote
I am looking to use the Pentax 645 A 35mm on a Zork panorama shift adaptor attached to a Canon 6D.

Does anyone know if you get vignetting at maximum shift at all? I tried a Mamiya 35mm and it had fairly obvious vignetting.

cheers
Have you tried Googling for any reviews of these lenses? They might post vignetting data.

Note: one general issue with any shift lens is that it will vignette quite strongly with most "bright" optical viewfinders because the focusing screen is optimized for a centered lens. Some of the vignetting may be due to the design of the Canon sensor.

Worse comes to worse, you can fix the vignetting in post.
05-04-2018, 12:36 AM   #13
672
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: santa monica
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 429
I suggest the pentax 28mm shift for PK mount. Its literally made to do the job. And my experience with apsc and that lens were quite good. I stopped by Zork when the 645 Z was new and shot 67 lens tests and was not wowed in any way..
05-04-2018, 12:51 AM   #14
New Member




Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Have you tried Googling for any reviews of these lenses? They might post vignetting data.

Note: one general issue with any shift lens is that it will vignette quite strongly with most "bright" optical viewfinders because the focusing screen is optimized for a centered lens. Some of the vignetting may be due to the design of the Canon sensor.

Worse comes to worse, you can fix the vignetting in post.
No I havent looked at vignetting data for the lens yet, I will have a google. When shifting the mamiya lens I did notice a black area in live view, which I thought was weird at the time but I guess it was to do with viewfinder like you suggest.

Disappointing to hear the zork + 67 lens is not so great, as I was thinking I could try the 67 45mm at some stage, maybe I'll avoid that one!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, adaptor, camera, lenses, medium format, shift
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q with K adaptor... then attach 645 adaptor??!!! Unsinkable II Pentax Q 10 11-04-2017 03:01 AM
Pentax 67 75mm shift lens for stitching? windhorse Pentax Medium Format 5 04-27-2014 07:11 PM
Does the 67 to 645 adaptor change the field of view Normo Pentax Medium Format 7 09-09-2013 01:42 PM
645 or 67 lens to be used w/ tilt shift adapter? gsrokmix Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 07-28-2012 05:11 PM
645D + 45mm 6X7 with Pentax 645-67 adaptor kuau Pentax Medium Format 32 02-04-2011 07:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top