Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 05:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
67 versus 645 for shift adaptor

I am considering buying one or more 67 or 645 lenses with a shift adaptor for my K3 to produce panoramas or higher res shots when they are needed. Can someone tell which format would be better from the lens perspective and any quality issues arising.

I am thinking of the Zork Panoramic Tilt adaptor as the tool that would mount the lenses. It appears both will mount to the same adaptor.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and examples.

02-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've not tried any 645 lenses mounted on a k3, but I strongly suspect they'll fare better than the 67 lenses that I have mounted via an adapter (I have 67 to 645, and 67 to k, but no 645 to k because I was a little disappointed with the 67 lenses on apsc). The difference in size between 55x70 and 18x24 frames is too big in my opinion - it's basically just optimism that it will perform well. The lenses I've tried have all been a touch soft, not to mention the ridiculous size of them! (Bokeh on the 105 f2.4 is pretty special though). [all of them are fantastic on film though]

The 645 lenses I own are damn fine in their own right, smaller, and I can't believe they'd perform worse than the 67's on apsc. I'd go that route myself.

The only problem with 645 lenses is that they are more expensive than the 67 lenses (due to the 645z I imagine!).

Last edited by robthebloke; 02-08-2015 at 05:32 AM.
02-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There have been problems in the past with digital sensors accurately recording images from highly oblique light rays. That is the reason why designers had to design lenses a bit differently for digital cameras. Using a pano shift adapter will allow oblique rays to strike the sensor. How much image deterioration this will cause is unknown. Also, using the lens in a shifted position/off axis manner, you are using the outer part of the image circle. Stopping down is essential to prevent softness. Lenses designed to be shifted will perform better than ones that were not.
02-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
I've not tried any 645 lenses mounted on a k3, but I strongly suspect they'll fare better than the 67 lenses that I have mounted via an adapter (I have 67 to 645, and 67 to k, but no 645 to k because I was a little disappointed with the 67 lenses on apsc). The difference in size between 55x70 and 18x24 frames is too big in my opinion - it's basically just optimism that it will perform well. The lenses I've tried have all been a touch soft, not to mention the ridiculous size of them! (Bokeh on the 105 f2.4 is pretty special though). [all of them are fantastic on film though]

The 645 lenses I own are damn fine in their own right, smaller, and I can't believe they'd perform worse than the 67's on apsc. I'd go that route myself.

The only problem with 645 lenses is that they are more expensive than the 67 lenses (due to the 645z I imagine!).
Thanks.

02-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I picked up a Zork Pro Shift Adapter - Z - which allows me to mount Pentax 67 lenses on a Pentax 645 body while using shift (and then mount that onto my Nikon F bodies). I also picked up the Multi Focus System - Tilt - with a Pentax 67 mount (as well as a Nikon F mount) to play around with enlarger lenses (macro and/or tilt ability). The nice thing about these two items is that the Multi Focus System can be mounted onto the Pro Shift Adapter to give you tilt and shifting. Sounds complicated, but it is a nice, well made system, albeit quite expensive.

For 35mm mount I also found a Mirex tilt and shift adapter for Pentax 67 lenses on a Nikon F body. This is also a nice, well made system, much less expensive than the Zork, but I only get the benefit for my Nikon F bodies as opposed to getting the Zork to work with Pentax 67 (multi focus), Pentax 645 and Nikon F (both systems multi focus and pro shift).

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
I am considering buying one or more 67 or 645 lenses with a shift adaptor for my K3 to produce panoramas or higher res shots when they are needed. Can someone tell which format would be better from the lens perspective and any quality issues arising.

I am thinking of the Zork Panoramic Tilt adaptor as the tool that would mount the lenses. It appears both will mount to the same adaptor.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and examples.
02-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
I picked up a Zork Pro Shift Adapter - Z - which allows me to mount Pentax 67 lenses on a Pentax 645 body while using shift (and then mount that onto my Nikon F bodies). I also picked up the Multi Focus System - Tilt - with a Pentax 67 mount (as well as a Nikon F mount) to play around with enlarger lenses (macro and/or tilt ability). The nice thing about these two items is that the Multi Focus System can be mounted onto the Pro Shift Adapter to give you tilt and shifting. Sounds complicated, but it is a nice, well made system, albeit quite expensive.

For 35mm mount I also found a Mirex tilt and shift adapter for Pentax 67 lenses on a Nikon F body. This is also a nice, well made system, much less expensive than the Zork, but I only get the benefit for my Nikon F bodies as opposed to getting the Zork to work with Pentax 67 (multi focus), Pentax 645 and Nikon F (both systems multi focus and pro shift).
Do you have some comments on how they work for you compared to 35 mm lenses when used in shift mode for paroramas or other applications. Any image samples would be great.
03-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Mirex tilt and shift adapter for Pentax 67 lenses on a Nikon F body
Not much time to use it yet as I recently received a full frame body and used it sparingly with my APS-C body. The craftsmanship is very high, it feels good in use. I used to own Canon tilt shift lenses, a Hartblei 45mm Super Rotator (beautiful movements on this lens on a Pentax 645 body) as well as a Fuji GX680 system (front standard has movements) - and I really like the Mirex adapter.

this is a snippet of the email I received from Mirex Germany when I asked them for a tilt shift adapter for Pentax 645 lenses onto a Nikon F body.

QuoteQuote:
We can offer you the following possibilities.

1.Mirex Shift-Adapter for Pentax 645 lenses / Nikon camera.
(It comes to restrictions of the shift-ways at camera models with a big
prism housing. (for example Nikon D700/B800/.....)
Please take into account:
The used Mamiya 645 lenses should be used manually (aperture / focusing).
The TS-Adapter is conceived for lenses of 35mm to approx. 120mm focal
lenght.

2.Mirex Tilt-Shift-Adapter for Hasselblad lenses / Nikon camera. (direct
connection).
(The ts-adapters for Hasselblad lenses are usable without restrictions).
They can use lenses with the following name (C / CF / CFi / CFE / CB / FE).

3.Mirex Tilt-Shift-Adapter for Pentax 67 lenses / Nikon camera. (direct
connection).
(The ts-adapters for Pentax 67 lenses are usable without restrictions).

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
Do you have some comments on how they work for you compared to 35 mm lenses when used in shift mode for paroramas or other applications. Any image samples would be great.
04-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Forum Member

If you are interested in Tilt-shift-effects IŽll recommend buying a largeformat-camera in the used market. They are much better for this purpose and used, theyŽll be much less expensive than tilt-shift-lenses and probably even then those adapters. I bought two largefornat-cameras last year: One 13x18 cm for about 120 Euros and a 4x5inches for 199 Euro. They are filmbased of course, but you have a 13x18cm or 9x12cm "sensor" (which will outperform any digital sensor) and far better tilt- and shift-possibilities!

05-17-2015, 04:31 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote

Hi Yurihuta - any ideas where I can find one of these?
"Zork Pro Shift Adapter - Z - which allows me to mount Pentax 67 lenses on a Pentax 645 body"
I had a google search today but no luck,
Thanks , Ian

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/288180-67-versus-...#ixzz3aOVzQovV
05-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The same person, Joshua, is involved with both businesses and is very pleasant to deal with.

Untitled Document

Nikon CPU lens

I have this adapter and am going to send it to Joshua to adjust a small bent piece of metal. After that I am thinking of selling it due to too much gear, too little time.