Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #1

pentax 645 (SR) lens to Hasselblad adapter?

This maybe a weird question but I would like to know the answer anyways.

I just found this obscure reference like buried treasure in an old post:

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Especially since there are Pentax 645 to Hasselblad adapters available.
but cannot find any other reference to such an adapter anywhere else, so I figure if anybody knows if such an adapter exists or not this is the place to ask.

The reason I am asking this question is a bit weird too. I would like to be able to use my medium format Sinarback digital back with an image stabilised lens. This particular digital back can go on any Hasselblad, Mamiya or Contax digital camera via a user interchangeable adapter plate. But only Pentax is weird enough to make a MF stabilised lens, 2 in fact.

So in theory I should be able to connect my Contax digital back to a Pentax 645 SR lens via a Hasselblad body if there are, as at least one person suggests, "Pentax 645 to Hasselblad adapters available" ..... unless of course this refers to Pentax 645 body to Hasselblad lens adapters rather than the other way around... in which case this bright idea is probably not likely to go much further.

Yes, I know I could just buy a used 645D for a pittance but that is another story, right.

Or I could just buy a 645Z for an even bigger pittance that has such good high iso performance image stabilization becomes irrelevant at least for my style of shooting but hey $9000 is a very big pittance!

Or I could just go buy a DSLR but that is also another story so donīt letīs go there for now... please!

02-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it isn't possible to adapt and use an optically stabilized lens and maintain full functionality. The SR system requires power to operate - these adapters lack the necessary electronics for this, and the camera itself will not be designed for the lens to use continuous power draw. Adapting a lens is an unsound solution, the only way to gain full use of an optically stabilized lens is to buy a 645D or 645Z. there is no other way.

You will have to wait for hasselblad (Fuji) to produce such a lens, and it will likely carry a hefty price tag as all things that carry the Zeiss name do.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-09-2015 at 09:14 PM.
02-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks heaps Digitalis your expert reply saved me a lot of wasted time looking further into this.

Of course I could try to hook up the $3000 645 90mm f2.8 SR lens to my car battery with some jumper cables to supply the power... but I donīt think my wife is ready to go along with that.
02-09-2015, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by windhorse Quote
Of course I could try to hook up the $3000 645 90mm f2.8 SR lens to my car battery with some jumper cables to supply the power... but I donīt think my wife is ready to go along with that.
Also, running that much power through the lens contacts would undoubtedly void the lenses warranty, and probably cause the lens to catch fire.

02-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

A car battery is 12V DC. The battery in a camera is also DC and probably a little less in voltage. The electronics inside the camera will pull the amps it needs. It's not like the car battery is going to hit the camera with 30 amps if you connected it. The contacts should easily handle 12V.
02-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A car battery is 12V DC. The battery in a camera is also DC and probably a little less in voltage. The electronics inside the camera will pull the amps it needs. It's not like the car battery is going to hit the camera with 30 amps if you connected it. The contacts should easily handle 12V.
thanks Tuco for this good advice, I wish I had the courage to tell my wife but fear if I do sheīll just whack me with the wok again!
02-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It's not like the car battery is going to hit the camera with 30 amps if you connected it. The contacts should easily handle 12V.
I was being sarcastic about the car battery, I wasn't in any way suggesting it as a practical approach to obtaining functional Lens based IS on a camera that doesn't natively support it.

02-19-2015, 07:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I was being sarcastic about the car battery, I wasn't in any way suggesting it as a practical approach to obtaining functional Lens based IS on a camera that doesn't natively support it.
It's still not a good idea to connect that car battery directly to lens unless you know what the circuit is like in them.