Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

645Z love it, but had it with Image Transmitter 2

I keep trying to get solid re-usable connection between my 645z and MacBook pro Retina, for serious daily use; but unless you are extremely vigilant, turn on/off everything in the right order etc the experience can only be described as flaky, laptop crashes, forced camera restarts. When compared with a professional solution such as Capture One I despair. I officially have given up tethering until Lightroom or anyone else comes up with a decent solution. In the real world frequent crashes in software or the camera are unacceptable and it's a pity Ricoh/Pentax don't put a little bit more money into developing decent software themselves or at least pay Capture One or Adobe to do it for them.

I'm forced to keep my old but reliable p30+ back and my Contax 645 for tethering but at least get to use the Pentax for all the other jobs when tethering isn't necessary.

I was an early adopter of Image Transmitter 2, that'll teach me!

02-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems like Pentax is mastering the art of half-@$$ed implementation when it comes to taking things to a professional level. How hard can it be?
02-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Marketplace Reseller

Capture One Fix adds support for 645z images - Alex MunozAlex Munoz Lifestyle/Fashion Photograpy
02-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #4

for some reason on my Macbook Pro the left USB works with tethering but the right one does not. I have a brand new 15 ft Tether Tools cable.
I tried the link from Alex but not get it to work

02-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrclark321 Quote
for some reason on my Macbook Pro the left USB works with tethering but the right one does not. I have a brand new 15 ft Tether Tools cable.
I tried the link from Alex but not get it to work
It's possible that one is USB 3 and the other USB 2. The extra speed of the 3 just might be the clue.
02-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

Hey Snapper99,

What are the problems you are having specifically? I have had the camera freeze up on me after particularly extended bursts of tethered shooting, but otherwise have found IT2 really stable in terms of being able to hot plug/unplug.

I'm not doubting your issues, but rather trying to aggregate other pro's experiences for when I write a further review and/or deal with Pentax on this issue.

Cheers,

- N.
02-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
It's possible that one is USB 3 and the other USB 2. The extra speed of the 3 just might be the clue.
On some MBPs one USB port shares a channel with several internal devices. It's like an internal USB hub. Effectively, it's slower and doesn't put out as much power for charging.

For older MBPs, if there are ports on both sides, the left should be better. If there are only ports on the left, the port furthest from the screen will be the most reliable.

For newer MBPs (core i5/i7), it's the reverse of that -- use the back one or the left side one.

If your MBP doesn't have USB3 but does have an Expresscard port, you can get a USB3 ExpressCard fairly cheap (or if you prefer, an SD card reader that uses USB3 speeds -- that's what I went for since my 2011 17 inch model doesn't have a built-in card reader).
02-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #8
Forum Member

Hi I just wanted to share my experiences with the IT2 software. I had written an open letter to Ricoh about the issue and never got a response. So instead I posted my ongoing frustration on their Facebook page and got an immediate response. Nick I believe you attempted to help me both on my own site and here on the forums, so thank you. Keep in mind that I am using a PC, NOT a MAC or a Mac running Windows emulator. I have attempted to run IT2 on both a Windows 7 and 8.1 on different machines. Here is my original letter to Ricoh.

In working with one of their tier 3 support men and allowing him to use "Join Me" to view my computer screen he sent my issue to Japan for evaluation. Today I tried what they had suggested, to completely turn OFF all Lens Correction options. Guess what?! The program began to work transmitting files to my computer and thereby allowing me to create a watched folder in Lightroom. The caveat? After ten images the program froze and would no longer allow me to transfer files to the PC or the Z's cards. Again the information will be forwarded to Japan for evaluation.

Am I happy that the program still does NOT work? No, but I am a bit relieved to know that what I was experiencing is NOT an anomaly or that I'm completely off my rocker....well I am, but not because of the software. BTW I found it interesting that the transmission time from pressing the shutter to when the file appeared on my screen to be 'about' the same time it takes for a file to appear on my iPad through the EyeFi card, which has been my interim solution. I have yet to read Alex's solution to Capture One, but I plan to do so as soon as I hit "Post Quick Reply."

02-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch for this Alex. I managed to copy this workflow and actually see my captures in C1. I have maybe tracked a couple of problems with tethering and now it seems to work better. It seems the camera likes to be set to record a DNG to only one card before tethering. Then with camera connected and Image Transmitter (IT) running, turn the camera on to deselect record to camera from IT leaving it to transmit the DNG to the selected destination/IN folder.

Not sure how to automatically assign the 645 icc profile when each image appears on C1 viewer but only a second to apply it manually.

I have a huge job coming up and I hope my assistants can adopt the new workflow.
02-20-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Marketplace Reseller

I'm not Alex myself - his software is just something I came across while doing my own research on the 645Z that I thought was germane to the conversation, but if he's reading, I'm sure he appreciates the sentiments!

QuoteOriginally posted by snapper99 Quote
Thanks a bunch for this Alex. I managed to copy this workflow and actually see my captures in C1. I have maybe tracked a couple of problems with tethering and now it seems to work better. It seems the camera likes to be set to record a DNG to only one card before tethering. Then with camera connected and Image Transmitter (IT) running, turn the camera on to deselect record to camera from IT leaving it to transmit the DNG to the selected destination/IN folder.

Not sure how to automatically assign the 645 icc profile when each image appears on C1 viewer but only a second to apply it manually.

I have a huge job coming up and I hope my assistants can adopt the new workflow.
02-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
Hey Snapper99,

What are the problems you are having specifically? I have had the camera freeze up on me after particularly extended bursts of tethered shooting, but otherwise have found IT2 really stable in terms of being able to hot plug/unplug.

I'm not doubting your issues, but rather trying to aggregate other pro's experiences for when I write a further review and/or deal with Pentax on this issue.

Cheers,

- N.
My camera would freeze if stopped from Image Transmitter, and only a battery out reset would help.

I have reset the whole camera from the menu now New camera settings using all advice from these helpful forums: One card DNG raw setting, lens corrections OFF, left hand USB port on my MacBook pro (in theory they should both be usb3 though), mains adapter running computer. Computer on, camera connected by USB3, Image Transmitter on, camera on... Managed quite a few captures, no crashes. Turned off camera via Image Transmitter before turning camera off. So far so good, I'll try it some more before I'm won over. Thanks to Alex's "Capturefix" program I have a workaround until Phase One see the light!
02-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Still tethering solidly but having odd problem with colour on some preview files in Capture One. Seems to be only on higher ISO files and only when viewing at 50% magnification or above. 33% fine, hit next magnify level, 50%. and colour and contrast goes off noticeably. Files view fine in Lightroom so not corrupt. Rebuilt previews and tried on different computer and both Mac OS 10.9 & 10.10. Sigh, will test some more next week.
02-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #13

There's no profile support in C1, so you can't expect much. It's really just a viewing aid during capture.
02-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
There's no profile support in C1, so you can't expect much. It's really just a viewing aid during capture.
If you follow Alex Munoz's video guide you'd be amazed at what the images look like in C1. Apart from my magnification issue on some files it uses his technique to create camera profiles that it would be nice for C1 to provide themselves, but it is a workaround for those of us who already use C1. I didn't expect much so was surprised to get such initially good results. I'm not sure if I can incorporate it in my workflow yet as it has to be bulletproof. I shoot with two or three camera setups so it makes sense to use C1 for everything as my clients and assistants are more used to it than Lightroom. More testing next week.
04-08-2015, 02:50 AM   #15
Forum Member

Here are my recent results with the v2.1.0 version of IT2