Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 04:02 AM   #16
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
How safe is it to purchase camera equipment from the ebay Japan Sellers? I was looking at the Pentax 645 FA 45-85 f4.5 zoom.
They seem very reasonable. Thank you
The used lenses I have bought from Japan have been exactly as described, have arrived quickly, and been perfectly spotless, not even the tiniest spec of dust on them. I have more mixed experiences buying from other places.

02-19-2015, 04:05 AM   #17
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vivavegas Quote
Are there any import/duty fees when you buy lenses from Japan ?
I don't know the US regulations, but if there are any fees expect to pay them fully. The Japanese tend to be impeccably correct with their paper work.
02-19-2015, 04:57 AM   #18

I got DA 12-24/4.0 zoom from Japanese seller, the price was $100 below other offers, lens described as excellent.
Well, the lens is in good shape with glass in very good shape, but if that was my offer I wouldn't call it 'excellent'.
There was no pouch nor box.
Does in American English 'excellent' mean something between 'good' and 'very good'?
Delivery was cheap and very fast (how do they manage that in Asia to deliver cheaper and faster to EU than from London or from Lyon??), I paid around 30% EU taxes (another story on that, they seller may promise you a lot before you pay, than after I paid I've heard 'my post office required an invoice attached'), no risk no fun

-----
How safe is it to purchase camera equipment from the ebay Japan Sellers?
02-19-2015, 06:23 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Before I purchase how much does it cost for the Fees and Taxes coming into USA ? It might be so much that its not worth buying the item. Any idea on about how much? This would help. Thank you

02-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If I could, I'd buy everything from Japan (and Koreea). Every time I got something, the service was always excellent and shipping was fast - faster than it will take from US to Canada (and in a few occasions shipping was free!).
02-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never been charged any import duty for film or used camera equipment purchased from Japan.

Mamiya, Nikon items in Japan Camera Girl store on eBay!
02-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #22
Banned

Photos: Gallery
My baby blue K-01 is from Japan and I had great service.

02-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've purchased several Pentax 645 and 6x7 lenses and bodies from Japanese based eBayers without any major problems. The one problem I recently encountered was a 645 135mm LS with either haze or fungus and the seller has agreed to take it back and refund me shipping costs. I have also purchased several pieces for my Fuji GX680 system (lenses, bodies and accessories) without any issues.

I live in the US and have not been charged import or duty fees.

You might want to look at some of the German eBayers as I have had some good items come from there too.

---------- Post added 02-19-2015 at 04:21 PM ----------

I have not paid taxes or duties bringing eBay items from Japan into the US. Most of my purchases are under $1,000 USD.

Before I purchase how much does it cost for the Fees and Taxes coming into USA ? It might be so much that its not worth buying the item. Any idea on about how much? This would help. Thank you
02-19-2015, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #24

I buy from Japanese ebayers in preference to all others. Virtually perfect performance and far faster than shipment from the US (to Canada).

- N.
02-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #25

My experiences were a bit mixed. I ordered a used FA120mm that was described as having specks in the lens and was priced accordingly. The problem was that the seller didn't send the lens hood or pouch shown in the pictures. The seller did rectify the omission and the condition of the lens was as I expected including gray lens caps. I'll give them the benefit of a doubt. In my last experience, I obtained a "new" DA 90mm at a price that was substantially below normal for that lens. The lens was in excellent shape but the box and packaging didn't appear to be new. The test shots were fine and, if the lens was used, I paid a used price for it a so didn't feel any disappointment.
02-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have only purchased one item from Japan, a replacement lens cap for my DA 21, and it was substantially cheaper than the other DA 21 lens caps listed and the service was great.
02-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Only had good experiences with Japanese eBayers - which have included a shop.
02-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #28

I have bought 9 lenses and a 67 body from Japanese sellers and have not problems whatsoever, They ship promptly, as one other poster said they arrive quickly. I have been charged one time for import duty when I bought an FA 645 120mm for some reason. Everything I have bought arrived as described or even better than described. I would say look at the feedback and decide for yourself. Just purchased a
67 35mm fisheye today from Japan.
02-28-2015, 04:16 AM   #29

I bought about 10 items on ebay from Japan in the past few years. Except one, all in excellent condition, EMS shipping always arrived on the 3rd to 4th working day after paying by Paypal. One lens had a Problem, refound was very friendly and without any Problems, I just sent the item back, one week later I had my Money back. This you buy here in Europe on ebay are typically in much worse consdition!
03-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

eBay JAPAN sellers - BEWARE

Well, this will be the last time I purchase from an eBay Japan seller.

My original response-
"The one problem I recently encountered was a 645 135mm LS with either haze or fungus and the seller has agreed to take it back and refund me shipping costs."

Well, I did send the item back via USPS Priority Mail International, however, the USPS tracking does not work in Japan (message I get from USPS Tracking website - "USPS Tracking™ is unavailable for this product for JAPAN."). Amazing... the folks at the post office assured me that I would get tracking information for this, as I asked how can I find out that it has been delivered - not so in real life.

I've been on the phone with eBay for 1+ hours now trying to resolve this dispute (after having gone through the whole dispute resolution online to no avail) and the seller has not responded to their requests for resolution either.

Careful which carrier you choose to return or even send items overseas. Don't make my mistake and verify through some other source that your carrier can indeed provide you with proof of delivery to satisfy eBay / PayPal.

Contact me via PM if you'd like the seller's information who refuses to issue a refund. He has listed several Pentax items, in addition to the lens I sent him back.