Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 01:42 AM   #16
Site Supporter

with lenses from 35mm-90mm I shoot hand held in a hot second. with longer lenses I use a tri-pod or a monopod.

02-23-2015, 03:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by windhorse Quote
Anyway enough BS!!

Two practical questions:
1) What percentage of your 645D keepers do you shoot hand held rather than on a tripod?
2) Do you have another camera you use instead of your 645D for hand held shooting?
1: Depends on how you define a "keeper", simply getting a decently sharp or in-focus photo doesn't really qualify, or is even hard to achieve, as the shot could just be of a brick wall for all it matters. Many photographers might say that 99% of their photos are sharp but only 1% are keepers. If you mean just a straight-up "how often do I get a sharp image" with "insert_lens_here"... well, it's kind of hard to answer since I don't keep track of that kind of stuff, and most of my binned images were out of focus more often than they were blurry - keeping stuff in focus with medium format is a much bigger concern IMO.

2: I keep around my old 5Dmk2 and 24-70 2.8L II because it's a smaller, lighter, and more flexible package for those rare times I need to do reportage, but it's definitely showing it's age in terms of ISO performance.

Edit: In any case, there are all kinds of people when it comes to holding cameras (or even anything) steadily, I for instance shoot quite a bit of video, so I've learned how to hold a camera steady without a gimbal even while walking.... backwards and sideways too at that. Another person might be a coffee-gobbling shell-shocked geriatric who doesn't constantly break out into seizures only because of their medication and can't hold anything still to save their life.

Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 02-23-2015 at 03:54 AM.
02-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
coffee-gobbling shell-shocked geriatric who doesn't constantly break out into seizures only because of their medication and can't hold anything still to save their life.
please can i use this as my bio statement
02-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

please can i use this as my bio statement
sure do. not sure how i'm supposed to feel about this.

02-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #20

Original Poster
sure do. not sure how i'm supposed to feel about this.
feel good - you hit the nail on the head!
02-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #21

I use the 645D hendheld quite frequently. Off course I might lose a Little bit of Resolution by doing so, but on the other Hand, 24 MP perfectly sharp would be enough for all my purposes, so if I lose a Little bit compared to what would be possible with 40 MP at perfect conditions, so what. Using the 55mm, I go down to 1/30 handheld. I use the timer for the shutter to avoid the blur by pressing the shutter. I have gone down even to 1/8 in some emergency cases. Then you see blur at 100%, but it still well printable at 16x22".
02-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #22

Hmmm.... maybe I ought get a shoe box, fill it up with sand, paint it black, stick an old enlarger lens on the front and go chase an ambulance then come home, get a cup of strong coffee and figure out if I should pixel peep or not? It sounds like a LOT depends on who is holding the camera though good to learn from you guys factors such as pixel pitch, focal length and shutter speed and concerns about image quality (why else buy a 645D) limit what can be done to last resort or non-bourgeois photography that is perhaps an oxymoron.

Anyway enough BS!!

Two practical questions:
1) What percentage of your 645D keepers do you shoot hand held rather than on a tripod?
2) Do you have another camera you use instead of your 645D for hand held shooting?

I shot a friend's wedding as a secondary photographer, all hand held, but with the 45-85 zoom, and it took some care balancing ISO and exposure time to get good results.

I have on occasion gotten some good landscape shots at low ISO handheld in Europe, but I'd say, even with practice, only about 25% really comparable to tripod results.

MOSTLY I use my K3 for hand held work, with FA Limited lenses or older A lenses (all full frame lenses, thank heavens!) or my * zoom. It has VR built into the body. But the combination of lenses and sensor does not match the 645 at all, if you're pixel peeping.
03-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another person might be a coffee-gobbling shell-shocked geriatric who doesn't constantly break out into seizures only because of their medication and can't hold anything still to save their life.

Have you seen me taking photos or something? thats me!

In all seriousness, I've been debating a 645D/z for a while, as I've been refocusing my discipline more into fashion and soon editorial. So this thread has been helpful.

03-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Have you seen me taking photos or something? thats me!

In all seriousness, I've been debating a 645D/z for a while, as I've been refocusing my discipline more into fashion and soon editorial. So this thread has been helpful.
I would say that a larger camera such as the 645D or Z is more stable in my hand than a small camera like the A7r. Given identical shutter speed/iso settings, I always get superior hand held shots on cameras that take more more inertia to move. I do realize that some people don't have a very steady hand. Some of the hand held review images I have seen look very blurry to me.
03-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I would say that a larger camera such as the 645D or Z is more stable in my hand than a small camera like the A7r. Given identical shutter speed/iso settings, I always get superior hand held shots on cameras that take more more inertia to move. I do realize that some people don't have a very steady hand. Some of the hand held review images I have seen look very blurry to me.
+1

i also experience the smaller the physical size of the sensor and the greater the number of mps squashed on it the more difficult the camera is to hand hold so it will be interesting to see how the upcoming ff compares to the legacy 645d in this respect though if the d800 or A7r or Canon 5DS is anything to go by hand holding is not going to be too easy that may be fine for studio shooting pros but not old duffers like me in which case APS-C may be the best solution despite the less satisfactory IQ ALTHOUGH having in body IS will hopefully make a BIG difference? But that is another fairy tale not yet relevant to this thread right.

So far the option that attracts my attention most is the 645D or even better the 645Z with in-built IS in the lens though the price is beyond my reach :-) Santa I hope you are listening!!!

Last edited by windhorse; 03-12-2015 at 02:36 PM.
03-13-2015, 06:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
The A7R is also known to have an extremely forceful shutter. Tests run by members of another forum have shown that the A7R will actually display shutter vibrations even when mounted on a high-end tripod and head, and the tester only got a stable result after screwing a block of wood a bit larger than the optional handgrip to the base of the A7R.

Conversely, the 645Z has a very smooth shutter in a very large mass of metal and in relative terms, more displacement is needed to generate blur, if we consider blur to be a function of camera shake vs. pixel density.
03-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I do find shutter shock with the Z when shooting with live view. Not so when using MLU with cable or remote.
03-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you're serious about needing to handhold and want to push shutter speed lower consider a Kenyon Labs gyro. It is image and camera stabilisation. I have one that I bought primarily for sunrise/sunset aerial photography (handheld from planes and helicopters). However, I have used it handheld on the ground more than I thought I would; two of my favourite desert elephant photos were taken with the 300mm handheld on foot using it. Such an often overlooked but incredible tool; consider it like investing in an excellent tripod and head timeless tools that do not loose function as cameras come and go. Of course they are a pain to carry around unless you set out with a specific focus.