Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #1

35mm 645 A Mold? Should I refund?

I just received a used 35mm A I ordered on ebay from Japan. What seemed to be like a nice catch turned out to have a spot under close inspection.
I bought it for $499 without taxes and duty which mounted up to an additional 120 Euros.

What do you guys think? I contaced the seller and he's offerend a $40 rebate or refund. Appended are some pictures. What should I do?

Attached Images

02-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's an odd-looking spot for fungus/mold and might be a some other type of debris. Which element is it on? It might be pretty easy to access and clean. A shop will likely charge you at minimum €50, so I'd ask for a refund of at least that much, but if you know anything about lens disassembly, you can probably do it yourself.
02-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #3

Don't agree to it! Lens sellers from Japan are notorious for doing this. Contact Paypal and demand a full refund.
02-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
That's an odd-looking spot for fungus/mold and might be a some other type of debris. Which element is it on? It might be pretty easy to access and clean. A shop will likely charge you at minimum 50, so I'd ask for a refund of at least that much, but if you know anything about lens disassembly, you can probably do it yourself.
It is odd-looking but seems to have some fungi structure to it. I've absolutely no experience with fungus on lenses or mold. The pictures above are from looking through the rear. I've disassembled lenses only up to the first lens element from the back to replace bayonets (Leica 100mm Macro conversion to Canon) or modify the metal around the rear element to get mirror clearance (Minolta Rokkor on Canon FF).
So I thought I could give it a go. The metal ring around the outter rear lens unscrewed easily, so did the smaller ring holding the lens element. After removing that one, I hoped that I would find the annoying spot on the second element, but it turned out to be clean. I didn't know how to go from there, otherwise I would do it. Too bad I didn't make pictures, but I could redo the disassembly and post pics. If you or somebody else could give me advice for the next step I would be grateful!

---------- Post added 02-25-15 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wrkingclasshero Quote
Don't agree to it! Lens sellers from Japan are notorious for doing this. Contact Paypal and demand a full refund.
I would, but the refund would only cover the $499 I paid for the lens. The 120 EUR I paid for German import sales taxes and duty would be lost.
The only way around this is if the seller had another lens he could send as a replacement unit. I totally forgot about this...guess I will ask for a 50 Euro refund, see how that goes and try to clean it myself or to get it cleaned in a shop.

02-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've not worked on this lens before, but on most Pentax primes, the entire rear group can screw out as one unit. From there, you might be able to more easily get to the one that needs cleaning.