Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Weakness of Flucard with 645z

Anyone tried the Flucard with a 645z and found it useful?

My two main issues are:

1- no histogram - would be nice to at least see it on the camera's back screen, but that is turned off when remotely tethered;

2- no exposure metering in manual mode. I can change the aperture, speed and ISO, but I have have to look at the camera's LCD screen to see the metering.

It's nice to be able to see a shot after its been taken on a large screen and it's nice to be able to use the touch screen of a phone / tablet to choose the focus point I suppose, but I otherwise feel that the Flucard is a bit gimmicky.

Am I missing something?

Any way of feeding this back to Pentax?

03-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure Pentax is aware of these issues/limitations. The FLUCard was a stop-gap measure IMO, as it's more than likely that built-in Wi-Fi will be making its way into all future Pentax DSLRs.

Have you tried wired tethering with the 645Z?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried wired tethering with the 645Z?
No. I've not seen very good things about the Pentax tethering software. Also, don't really want to also lug my laptop around. Being able to use my iPhone would have been quite handy. I was considering getting an iPad but I don't think wired tethering works with that. Or does it?
03-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by the_ether Quote
No. I've not seen very good things about the Pentax tethering software. Also, don't really want to also lug my laptop around. Being able to use my iPhone would have been quite handy. I was considering getting an iPad but I don't think wired tethering works with that. Or does it?
Nope, it's PC only.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-21-2015, 06:08 AM   #5

the_ether,

if the main reason for tethering is a bigger picture to check sharpness etc., you might check the feasibility of an Eye-Fi Pro X2 card. I cannot comment on its use in the 645Z but I have used it in my 645D's second SD card slot combined with e.g. Photosmith app on an iPad. This setup transfers JPG or DNG files in a few seconds. A histogram is available as well.

Regards, Udo
03-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have an Eye-Fi card already. The main benefit of a Flucard (and hence the premium price) is Liveview. But for me, this is incomplete without being able to have manual control. Being able to chance ISo, exposure and speed when in auto is fine, but manual is what I need and for that I'd need at least exposure metering and preferably live histogram.
03-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #7

Is there a way to turn off the Flucard wireless without removing the card. When my card is operational, I don't have access to menu item used to turn card on/off. If I turn camera off and turn back on, the same condition exists. Only way to stop the wireless appears to be to remove the card. Am I missing something?
03-23-2015, 02:56 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by sc_john Quote
Is there a way to turn off the Flucard wireless without removing the card. When my card is operational, I don't have access to menu item used to turn card on/off. If I turn camera off and turn back on, the same condition exists. Only way to stop the wireless appears to be to remove the card. Am I missing something?
You can turn it off, but it will still beep when you first turn the camera on if you have the card inserted. (but it will not run the wifi on the card). To turn it off, its the Wrench/3 in the Menu, you can see the instructions on page R34 of your manual.