Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 02:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax 645n film motor drive problem

Hi all. This is my first post so I'll try to introduce myself first. I'm a film photographer from croatia just switched from rolleiflex to pentax 645n.

I just bought pentax 645n camera on ebay from Japan.So my camera came with 220back and no lens...loaded 220 ilford film turned the camera on and what happens: it just doesnt stop rewinding untill the end of the film..frame:1,23.4.5,6....33 end..and it just used my whole role...did that with 3 rolls...all the time same thing...with no film and back attached when i turn the camera ON it start automaticly rewinding film and motor works till i turn OFF..with no back attached it doesn't do that, shutter works and everything works...any thoughts?

tnx in advance

love you all
memo

03-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #2

Clean the contacts of your film-insert or try another one.

If you turn your insert pressure-plate up, thumb-wheel to the right, you can see two springs through a small rectangular window in the film pressure-plate.
These springs should only have contact to the small round contact on the right side of your insert.
They short-cut to body-frame at beginning and end of film. This is how the camera recognizes the film position.
(Written from memory, my 645NII rests in the shelf for nearly 2 years now)
Contact me if you need some spare inserts.

-Linus-

Last edited by -Linus-; 03-09-2015 at 11:28 AM.
03-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Did you mean these little guys?

Sorry I'm new in pentax world and am a little bit sad because camera doesnt function proerly and am affraid that something bigger than insert failure is going on
03-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #4

Yes, those are the ones.
I gave away all my remaining films - so I can't simulate your type of failure.

-Linus-

03-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
just a quick update..today my new insert came...and same thing happens...just winds the film to the end....my god is it possible noone on this forum never ever ever had this kind a problem..I'm desperate
05-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

Hi there! I recently bout a 645n from japan and am having a similar issue! It is very unreliable as sometimes it works normally and sometimes the the roll advances all the way to the end of the roll, or flashes E (error?) and then other times it allows me to shoot all 16 exposures and "sounds" as the the roll is wound to the end only to open it and it is in the middle of the roll. Very frustrating! Did you have any luck cleaning your contacts or find another solution??
05-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
did the shutter fire when it roll the whole roll? if so I would think the shutter button is stuck in the 'pressed down' position and the switch is on 'servo' and not 'single'.

645N is pretty reliable from what I read (and have one), this is the first time I hear someone report this problem.

btw, you can "dry fire" a 645N (shot without film inside) to test the camera, this way you don't have to waste films trying to figure out the problem. You can fire a shutter, and it will turn the roll a bit (you can hear it), fire another, so on. (try record a video, and upload to youtube of what it is doing and maybe easier to help you figure out what is wrong...)

You can also post this question on pentax 645 facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2396891556/) the group is very helpful and friendly as well.
05-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #8

I wonder if the 220 film back has been converted to 120 if that would cause this situation. I don't know but throwing that out for someone smarter than me to answer.