Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have sent it off to the Service centre, Should hear something early next week I hope, I will keep you all posted as to the outcome. I hope it can be rectified with out sending it overseas, I can't wait that long with out my favourite lens.

03-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #17

I had this exactly problem happen to me during a flight to Nepal. Qatar airlines forced me to check the lens after I was allowed to take it on my connecting flight. Despite offering to pay them extra to let me carry the lens on board, I was given no other choice but to put the lens in a loose duffle bag wrapped around in some socks.

I'm not sure if the vibrations of the plane got to it, but upon arrival in Kathmandu the lens behaved the same way yours is. I had to send it back to Japan to get it fixed and it costed 400 dollars to do so (including shipping). I have travelled extensively with this lens without any issues until now.
03-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
I had this exactly problem happen to me during a flight to Nepal. Qatar airlines forced me to check the lens after I was allowed to take it on my connecting flight. Despite offering to pay them extra to let me carry the lens on board, I was given no other choice but to put the lens in a loose duffle bag wrapped around in some socks.

I'm not sure if the vibrations of the plane got to it, but upon arrival in Kathmandu the lens behaved the same way yours is. I had to send it back to Japan to get it fixed and it costed 400 dollars to do so (including shipping). I have travelled extensively with this lens without any issues until now.

Im sorry to hear that about your lens. Did this happen to you recently, and was the lens not covered by warranty? I'm wondering how long it will take to get my lens returned.
03-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #19

This happened last October. The lens is no longer covered under warranty, I have been shooting with it for over 3 years. it took about 3 and a half months from the time of assessment to the time of me getting it back from repairs.

03-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #20

Just got the last US DA 25 about 10 daya ago and hope it holds together for a while. Sad stories to read.
03-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I spoke to Australian Pentax Service/Tech man about my lens. He said that they initially though the lens was dropped or had a knock. I assured him that It has never been Knocked or dropped and that I look after all my gear very well, after all its a 5K lens! He then said that sometimes lens manufacturers sometimes have problems with their staff not being consistent with quality control during manufacture. They repaired my lens and have put it in the mail on its way back to me. He said Internal screws loosened and have now been corrected with a form of lock tight which he suggested should have been used in the construction. Im patentially waiting to get the lens back into the field. I will update you with a verdict once I have the lens again.
03-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So they used no or weak loctite during construction? Wow, that would explain why lenses can suddenly fall apart or get misaligned. All I can say is that it sounds like a stupid thing to skip during manufacturing and when I mounted industrial robots we put loctite n almost every screw.

03-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just received the lens back, checked it on my camera.. The Barrel Movement is gone and feels sturdy. But now AF is not working at all. I noticed the AF/MF switch is slightly loose. Ill keep this thread updated.
03-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #24
Pentaxian

oh no, now the AF issue. yikes. who did the work? an authorized repair center?
03-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
oh no, now the AF issue. yikes. who did the work? an authorized repair center?
C R Kennedy in Australia, Pentax Servicer/importer. They are Pretty good to deal with. Hopefully they can rectify this quickly.
03-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
C R Kennedy in Australia, Pentax Servicer/importer. They are Pretty good to deal with. Hopefully they can rectify this quickly.
sorry for your trouble.
i have read same issue re FA31 and FA77 as well
03-20-2015, 12:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes I think the Japanese techs at Pentax have no idea. I would have thought that Pentax after all these years would have their sh1t together.

Shame really because the system is excellent.
03-20-2015, 12:58 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
I just received the lens back, checked it on my camera.. The Barrel Movement is gone and feels sturdy. But now AF is not working at all. I noticed the AF/MF switch is slightly loose. Ill keep this thread updated.

This is exactly what happened with mine. In the end I got a brand new replacement.
03-21-2015, 04:49 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
There seemed to have been quite a few people with faults/complaints and issues with the 25. Perhaps it was a faulted design and that's why they decided to cut it.

I bought the 28-45 due to the fact that when I need wider than 22mm eq, I would need at least 15-16mm so I use another camera for that work.
I had the 25mm, which worked perfectly without any issues, until when the 28-45mm came out I bought that, sold the 25mm and now I use a Pentax K-3 with a Sigma 10-20mm for my ultra-wide work. With a Pentax 645-to-Pentax K adapter, this also works as my backup, should anything happen to the 645Z when I am in the field. This way I get U-W angle, backup, and as a plus I can use the same batteries, chargers etc for both cameras, menus are pretty much the same, etc. I am pretty happy with this setup so far
03-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How does the 645 to K adapter work with the DA lens? Nobody has been able to show me how this would work.