Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2015, 04:57 AM   #1

645Z bug? No Multi-shot at AF2 at view finder mode

After using the Pentax 645Z for three months, just found one issue at the AF2 ( no half shutter AF, use the AF button for AF activations) setting that it cannot do multi-shot at view finder mode, only can do single shot. However, at LV, the multi shot operates (3 frames/sec). As I have been using MF lenses in the beginning, and not using the 645Z for motion shots, I did not aware of this issue earlier. Now that since I need to do some shots on motion, and have get hold of more FA lenses ( newly the FA 400 f5.6), then found above problem. When set at AF1 ( half shutter for AF), there is no problem of the Multi shot operations. I hope this is not a individual camera's problem, any one else that have the 645Z can you try and let me know if your camera after set at AF2, can you get multi-shots at view finder shooting? Or did I mis understand anything on the settings in menu? Or my camera have problem?

03-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #2

Original Poster
More observation: Found that at AF2 ( AF mode is at AF-C), if keep pressing the AF button ( the thumb pressed button), then the multi-shot is enabled. So this is really a design fault on Pentax, as people using AF2 mode are mostly wish not to do continuous AF, and wish to use AF button to lock on a focused point and keep shooting, i.e. no AF again. Of course, AF mode will be at AF-C, as a lot of people using such setting to use the thumb for controlling continue AF or single time AF, without the need to change between AF-C and AF-S mode. Many professional in Canon and Nikon are doing such. However, the present design of Pentax 645Z does not allow user to do this, using AF2 setting can only do multi-shots when keeping doing auto focus!
03-21-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
haven't yet tried multishot as mainly landscape oriented myself. But, as the 'C' in AFC means continuous how is it a design fault to require whichever focus button you're using tl be continuously pressed during shooting? It's how it should be surely?
03-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
haven't yet tried multishot as mainly landscape oriented myself. But, as the 'C' in AFC means continuous how is it a design fault to require whichever focus button you're using tl be continuously pressed during shooting? It's how it should be surely?
In Canon ( or in Nikon) when use the AF button ( by thumb), and with AF-C, it will keep AF tracking on a moving subject, but once stop pressing the AF buton, the AF stops and then user can re-frame, just like using AF-S. It is a much better way of handling the AF. But it seems Pentax's design will not allow such usage. The problem of keep focusing when doing multi-shot, it will not allow user to re-frame. On shooting moving subjects ( like animals), to relocate focusing point and/or changing AF-C to AF-S are slowing down the shooting process.

Sony's A77 / A99 also allows such AF control ( in a opposite way, press AF button to becomes AF-S while half press shutter to do AF-C) setting for the quick tracking of moving subject while can also do re-framing once subject stops.

---------- Post added 03-21-15 at 09:58 PM ----------

BTW, just noticed on 645Z at LV, even set at AF-C, the AF is in fact AF-S, i.e. focus once only, cannot do AF tracking on an moving subject. This is why in LV, it can always do multi-shots in AF1 or AF2.

03-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

ok, well on my K3 I set one of my program modes to allow hi frame rates with AFC using the shutter button as the focusing button. Do canikon enable actual afc after recomposing with rear af button. I doubt it. So what's the huge benefit of rear button focusing for afc tracking shots? I don't see it personally. Using a program mode to switch to the af1 mode, TAV and AFS is a perfectly serviceable workaround the issue I feel. But it always ergonomically odd switching between manufacturers
03-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

Thomas, what is the firmware version in your 645Z?
03-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
Thomas, what is the firmware version in your 645Z?
My 645Z's firmware version is : 1.00, has there been any update? Where can I get the link?

---------- Post added 03-22-15 at 04:22 AM ----------

ok, well on my K3 I set one of my program modes to allow hi frame rates with AFC using the shutter button as the focusing button. Do canikon enable actual afc after recomposing with rear af button. I doubt it. So what's the huge benefit of rear button focusing for afc tracking shots? I don't see it personally. Using a program mode to switch to the af1 mode, TAV and AFS is a perfectly serviceable workaround the issue I feel. But it always ergonomically odd switching between manufacturers
Most DLSR camera are providing the thumb "AF" button is for the thumb to control the start/stop of AF function, for immediate control between AF-C and AF-S by using the thumb and index finger to shoot.
03-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thomaskplee Quote
Most DLSR camera are providing the thumb "AF" button is for the thumb to control the start/stop of AF function, for immediate control between AF-C and AF-S by using the thumb and index finger to shoot.
I don't know about 'most' dSLR's but I like having a separate button available on my K-3 for each function setting: AF Mode; AF Point; AutoFocus.

I use the shutter release for releasing the shutter, like a film camera.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-22-2015 at 05:31 PM.
03-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

My 645Z's firmware version is : 1.00, has there been any update? Where can I get the link?

---------- Post added 03-22-15 at 04:22 AM ----------

Maybe, but none I have used. I don't miss the function you ate describing at all as what you describe I achieved by another means that I find perfectly acceptable. Hey, but each to their own. It's a fantastic camera either way

---------- Post added 22-03-15 at 21:12 ----------

Latest PENTAX 645Z Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
03-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #10

Thomas, update your camera firmware to version 1.20. Many glitches have been fixed in the 2 firmware updates since the initial release of the camera with firmware 1.00, and I'm pretty sure the AF / continuous shooting issue you describe is one of them. Check the Pentax support web site for whatever jurisdiction you live in. E.g. in the USA:
Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging
03-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
Maybe, but none I have used. I don't miss the function you ate describing at all as what you describe I achieved by another means that I find perfectly acceptable. Hey, but each to their own. It's a fantastic camera either way

---------- Post added 22-03-15 at 21:12 ----------

Latest PENTAX 645Z Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Thank you for the link of firmware 1.20 !
03-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #12

Original Poster
Just up-dated the 645Z camera to firmware 1.21 and found the above mentioned "bug" disappeared. In other words, with an AF lens, and when set at AF-C and using AF knob only for AF (no half shutter AF), once stop press AF knob (using thumb) to stop the AF, it can now re-frame and do multi-shots (3 frames per sec), great!
03-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Just up-dated the 645Z camera to firmware 1.21 and found the above mentioned "bug" disappeared. In other words, with an AF lens, and when set at AF-C and using AF knob only for AF (no half shutter AF), once stop press AF knob (using thumb) to stop the AF, it can now re-frame and do multi-shots (3 frames per sec), great!
Well, that's a great outcome.