Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2015, 02:33 AM   #1
Forum Member

cable release for 645Z not working

Hi all,
what's the trick with using a simple cable release with 2.5" plugs ?
works with other cameras.
my camera store guys said they'd tried it and could not get it to work.
I thought it might be something in the drive menu to switch on, but still no luck.
there's mentioning of remote in the manual but only the stupid one with the non-exchangeable battery.
why can't this be easy?
please help

thanks
Stephan

03-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

My official (and expensive) Pentax cable release stopped functioning recently. The official wireless one works for everything including bulb. I bought another as a spare, and its half the price of a cable release.
03-21-2015, 05:37 AM   #3

Stephan,

I guess a 2.5" plug won't fit your camera... Kidding aside, I'd recommend the Vello IR remote control, see link:

Vello IR-P1 Infrared Remote Control for Select Pentax IR-P1 B&H

Its battery is the cheap and widely available coin type CR2025, which will last for around 3 years our 20000 releases (according to the remote's specs). I am using it since more than a year now on the same battery and it has seen/been operated in different climate zones from -10 to +45 degrees without any problem. Highly recommended. And it is cheap... around 8 USD. And another plus, the battery can be changed by yourself.

Regards,
Udo
03-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the tip desertdiver, highly appreciated. if no other solution comes around.
only with freight from B+H to NZ this comes to 86.55 usd ��
and I have these cable-releases here in my hand.
the plug fits and it says on the pack that it works with Pentax.
anybody ?

03-21-2015, 11:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
so finally got one of them to work, turns out that one is working on the Nikon, but not on the Pentax.
the other one is a Canon one, which also works on the pentax. and easy it is, as well.
just plug in and press/hold/lock.
prefer that mechanical one to batteries. had too many die on me over the years.
it is a Hähnel and it even comes with an extension cord.
As I do a lot of seascapes, I want to be able to decide exactly when to trip the shutter, which does not work with the 2sec. delay.
all good now, thanks for your comments
Stephan