Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2015, 02:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,465
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax is not going to shake anything. Canon 5DS will still outsell the 645Z simply because the 645Z is invisible to the masses. The Canon 5Ds is going to be displayed as the best FF camera of the moment in 99% of the camera shops world wide.

If past performance is anything to go by, low ISO noise patterning and low DR will demonstrate that it is anything but the best FF body out there.

03-22-2015, 03:29 AM   #17
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7
I've noticed over the years that I need to parse marketing from engineering; Canon's marketing machine is among the best.

Owning the 645z and the 1DX, 645z is clearly better in the iso department. The other day I took a picture with the 645z at 10000 and forgot to do any noise reduction in lightroom. After I discovered that, I still didn't put any NR on it.

The IDX is a great sports photography tool.

So I'm not too excited about the 5DR/S. There are too many times when I'm shooting 6400 and above (dawn, dusk, heavy clouds, indoors without flash, etc.).

And let's not get started on DR and shadow recovery; simply amazing on the 645z.
03-22-2015, 04:00 AM   #18
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
That actually wasn't even a close battle.
03-22-2015, 04:08 AM   #19
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,120
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax is not going to shake anything. Canon 5DS will still outsell the 645Z simply because the 645Z is invisible to the masses. The Canon 5Ds is going to be displayed as the best FF camera of the moment in 99% of the camera shops world wide.
Canon will use the 5DS as a "halo" product, but they won't be selling it to the masses.

03-22-2015, 04:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Kolor-Pikker's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 333
Shame they didn't test shadow recovery. The 5DS definitely had a lot more NR applied, the difference in the fabrics at 6400 was massive, even with both images scaled down 50% in Photoshop. One thing I noticed in particular is the higher chroma fidelity on the Z, again it's probably due to higher NR on the Canon files, but the result is that many areas in the Canon shot got blended into a brown-gray soup while the Z retained color separation.

Even so, it might make for a good companion camera to the Z if you have, and have a need for Canon's TS-E lenses. If we batter Pentax enough with requests for a TS in the 25~30mm range it will really give Canon a run for their money.
03-22-2015, 05:31 AM   #21
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,285
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
If past performance is anything to go by, low ISO noise patterning and low DR will demonstrate that it is anything but the best FF body out there.
But it has the most Megapickels. That means it's best!
03-22-2015, 05:53 AM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,465
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But it has the most Megapickels. That means it's best!
Silly me! Consider me scolded!
03-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #23
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Thompson Trace, Thompson Road, Palmiste Village, Longdenville, Chaguanas. Trinidad and Tobago.
Posts: 40
Comparisons and expectations in Pentax 645z vs Canon 5DSR 50.6 Mpx are UNREALISTIC. Why? Because... the pixel size of a 645 frame is physically larger than the pixel size of a 35mm frame. Much the same as the 645 frame size is physically larger than that of a 35mm frame. And while the number of pixels may be approximately the same amount in each frame size, the physical size in a single pixel in the 645 and 35mm are radically different; and in this context, comparisons and expectations are unrealistic. It is much the same as comparing "Chalk" with "Cheese". Realistically, comparisons could be done against other 645 systems and not 35mm systems, IMHO.

03-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,618
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PreSolCoh Quote
Comparisons and expectations in Pentax 645z vs Canon 5DSR 50.6 Mpx are UNREALISTIC. Why? Because... the pixel size of a 645 frame is physically larger than the pixel size of a 35mm frame. Much the same as the 645 frame size is physically larger than that of a 35mm frame. And while the number of pixels may be approximately the same amount in each frame size, the physical size in a single pixel in the 645 and 35mm are radically different; and in this context, comparisons and expectations are unrealistic. It is much the same as comparing "Chalk" with "Cheese". Realistically, comparisons could be done against other 645 systems and not 35mm systems, IMHO.
So what you're saying is that Canon has no business making a 50.6 Mpx full frame camera when there's a 645z out there, I concur....

Last edited by Stavri; 03-22-2015 at 07:52 AM.
03-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #25
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,435
QuoteOriginally posted by PreSolCoh Quote
Realistically, comparisons could be done against other 645 systems and not 35mm systems, IMHO.
They will be made, regardless.

By Canon.
03-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #26
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,235
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Canon will use the 5DS as a "halo" product, but they won't be selling it to the masses.
Agreed, and don't overestimate Canon's marketing power in this particular niche of the "bigger and better DSLR" market. Both the 645Z and 5DS are flagship products that aren't sold in gadget superstores, because the people that buy cameras at gadget superstores are never going to buy either camera. The customers who will buy flagship cameras are looking for something to differentiate themselves from the common camera owner, and Canon's dominance of the overall camera market is a huge disadvantage. You don't reach flagship customers through television ads, you reach them through targeted events, commentary (good and bad) from "influencers" who are unknown to the masses, and so on.
03-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 494
One can assume that this comparison (51MP MF 645Z to 50.6MP FF 5DSR) - effective Medium Frame to Full Frame can be seen as similar to Full Frame to APS-C if one was using a 24MP FF and a K-3.
The sensor size DOES mean something... its not just MP.
03-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #28
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,812
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
similar to Full Frame to APS-C if one was using a 24MP FF and a K-3
Yes, however, 24Mpixel FF must have an antialias filter, while the K-3 does not need it, so for instance, the difference between the K-3 and a D610 is less than the difference between Canon 5DS and 645Z, in addition, the K-3 uses the center of the lens where the resolution is the best, while both the 5DS and 645Z are using a lot of lens area away from the center. Well, that's how I see it.
03-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #29
Pentaxian
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,523
is there a link to the Canon camera with specs? I havent heard of it yet but these comparison shots are very underwhelming for the Canon. yikes.
03-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,618
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
is there a link to the Canon camera with specs? I havent heard of it yet but these comparison shots are very underwhelming for the Canon. yikes.
Canon 5DS R (imageresource)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, camera, canon, detail, dslr, image, images, medium format, pentax, pentax 645z vs, photography, resolution, shooters, size, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax 645D vs 645Z MKD Pentax Medium Format 41 03-24-2015 09:54 PM
One mans opinion - Canon vs Nikon vs Pentax SashasMom General Photography 30 01-12-2015 03:31 AM
Pentax 645z vs Phase One IQ250 vs Hasselblad H5D-50c fap Pentax Medium Format 15 08-27-2014 03:25 PM
Focal length vs Mpx: K-5IIs + DA21 or K-3 + DA15 and crop? carrrlangas Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 03-03-2014 12:32 PM
Pentax DA 50-200MM F4-5.6 ED vs Pentax smc DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 ED WR kitkat Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 08-05-2009 01:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top