Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Rent or Borrow a 67/6x7?

I want to try out a 67. My local camera shop only rents out Nikon DSLRs, so renting one locally is out. And I have't been able to find anyone around here who has a 6x7 that I can borrow.

So -- would anyone on the forum be willing to let me try their baby out for a week or two sometime, either for free or for a fee (or I could let you borrow some of my gear at the same time, if you want to try out a da* 60-250 or 77 limited or something).

I've never used medium format before and I'd like to try it out before I commit to buying a body (and having to explain to my wife why she needs to get a much, much bigger purse), and the 6x7 looks like it would be more fun than the 645 (and probably cheaper to get used lenses for since less competition with digital?)

Thanks!

03-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Buying a used body with one lens is not a large monetary commitment. That might be more realistic than what you are asking. The 150 Takumars are nearly free these days and the 75 f/4.5 is cheap as well. If you don't like it, sell it for about what you paid.
03-28-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
In my opinion, renting a Pentax 6x7 (or 67 or the great 67II) isnīt necessary, if you are interested in Medium format photography. You wonīt regret buying a Pentax 6x7. Youīll enter the largest choice of lenses and accessory in the Medium Format world. Many of the so called issues like mirror slap and shutter shake always causing blurred pictures are myths. If it would not have been possible to take great, razor sharp pictures with it, Pentax would not have been able to produce the Pentax 67 system for exactly fourty years (!) in a world full of MF-competitors!
03-29-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Drive up to Michigan, young man!
That is, if we ever get any springtime here.

You can borrow my 3 Tak 6x7 lenses.
I will even process and scan your C41 for the price of a Starbucks.

The caveat is, that I don't have a 67 body, I use my Tak lenses on a Graflex and a home built body. So you would not get the slr experience.

Actually: ... If I were starting again,.... I would look at the RB67. I think the lenses were of similar quality, the parts are lower cost now, and the camera takes the standard backs.
Interchangeable 120 roll-film backs are the way to go, in my opinion.

03-31-2015, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #5

But there is a wooden grip for the 67, and not for the RB!!!
:-)
04-01-2015, 04:09 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The dicision between the Pentax 6x7-system and a Mamiya RB 67 isnīt an easy one. Thatīs why I own both cameras and I would not sell one system for the other :-)
The rotating back of the RB 67 is a great thing to have. If I would get forced to sell one system for keeping just one, I would maintain the Pentax system for the bigger choice of lenses and acessory.
04-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I want to try out a 67. My local camera shop only rents out Nikon DSLRs, so renting one locally is out. And I have't been able to find anyone around here who has a 6x7 that I can borrow.

So -- would anyone on the forum be willing to let me try their baby out for a week or two sometime, either for free or for a fee (or I could let you borrow some of my gear at the same time, if you want to try out a da* 60-250 or 77 limited or something).

I've never used medium format before and I'd like to try it out before I commit to buying a body (and having to explain to my wife why she needs to get a much, much bigger purse), and the 6x7 looks like it would be more fun than the 645 (and probably cheaper to get used lenses for since less competition with digital?)

Thanks!
67 or 6x7 can have for around $500, usually come with lens attached. If you don't like them, re-sale is pretty easy, maybe you can sell it at price minus the amount you would have paid for rent, you have nothing much to lose.

I made the decision a year ago and I regretted.... that I didn't get them earlier. now I have a 645N and been looking at other medium format as well...

Although 67II is easier to use, the original 6x7 and 67 are more beautifully looking camera.