Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

Manual focus confirmation on 645D

Hi,

Could anyone clarify how the manual focus confirmation is supposed to be used on the 645D? I have tried manually focussing and then half pressing the shutter release, but the viewfinder spot and beep don't seem to confirm after the first press (even with the camera stationary), and sometimes I see the red spot flash but hear no sound (even when way off focus). I have also tried half-pressing the shutter and then focussing - the confirmation seems to happen even if the lens is focussed after the button is released.

(Curiously I first asked Pentax EU support about this question and general leaf-shutter compatibility, and they referred me to this website as they had no documentation of their own.)

Cheers,
Andy.

03-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AndyL Quote
Hi,

Could anyone clarify how the manual focus confirmation is supposed to be used on the 645D? I have tried manually focussing and then half pressing the shutter release, but the viewfinder spot and beep don't seem to confirm after the first press (even with the camera stationary), and sometimes I see the red spot flash but hear no sound (even when way off focus). I have also tried half-pressing the shutter and then focussing - the confirmation seems to happen even if the lens is focussed after the button is released.

(Curiously I first asked Pentax EU support about this question and general leaf-shutter compatibility, and they referred me to this website as they had no documentation of their own.)

Cheers,
Andy.
I have the same question for my K-50! I just noticed the red square flashing today with my MF lens. It's pretty inconsistent though.

Last edited by Zephos; 04-01-2015 at 11:57 AM.
03-31-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AndyL Quote
Hi,

Cheers,
Andy.
While keeping the shutter button half-pressed, the camera should beep whenever the image gets in focus, with a small degree of tolerance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-31-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
While keeping the shutter button half-pressed, the camera should beep whenever the image gets in focus, with a small degree of tolerance.
Yes, as Adam says but with an additional caveat. When you have a more wonderful lens the smaller the degree of tolerance seems to be. If it's incredibly sharp ( e.g. sigma 35 1.4 Art) the moment of tolerance lasts less time whilst rotating the focus ring. The other issue is focus throw. If short you find you need to go incredibly slow and carefully in order to achieve stable green hexagon focal confirmation.