Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 12:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter

645D foto editor

it's been 4 years and I still am not at ease with the utility 5 that came with my 645D. now and then I try to use it, but find it easier to use picassa or to convert the raw images to jpeg or tiff and use another editor. anybody out there that has had better luck with utility 4 0r 5????

04-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
it's been 4 years and I still am not at ease with the utility 5 that came with my 645D. now and then I try to use it, but find it easier to use picassa or to convert the raw images to jpeg or tiff and use another editor. anybody out there that has had better luck with utility 4 0r 5????
I don't think people use it as their primary photo editor. Its main advantage is the ability to convert from PEF to DNG (when you accidentally select PEF) and to apply to camera's native JPEG profile to raw files.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-03-2015, 12:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just download Lightroom and shoot in JPG or RAW (DNG).

Regards

Chris
04-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Just download Lightroom
Did you mean "download and pay $10 monthly"? Is there a universe where Lightroom is free of charge?

I have heard numerous complaints about "catalog" in LR. I guess that it did not change yet.

There are several RAW developers except Lightroom and some of them are even free of charge. There are free of charge editors too.

04-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

Mmmm, free of charge, this sounds like my GF and her iPad apps, somehow she just can't see that she should have to pay for an iPad App... and she's an ex IBM systems engineer, used to rather expensive software at one time...

Having tried a lot of RAW developers, including Iridient Digital (which is rather good with some of the odd fuji sensor and the DP Merrills) I ALWAYS have the current version of Adobe Lightroom on my drive. Aperture is still there, too, but rarely used. And Lightroom is a single charge purchase, $149 MSRP for first purchase, $79 for major upgrades. Fairly frequent updates. It really helps in getting the most out of the 645z or 645D in difficult lighting situations with the final image.

In comparison to the cost of the camera and good lenses, it's a nice dinner out at a fancy place (well, not TOO fancy in the SF Bay area...)
04-04-2015, 06:12 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by jonmarsh Quote
Mmmm, free of charge, this sounds like my GF and her iPad apps, somehow she just can't see that she should have to pay for an iPad App... and she's an ex IBM systems engineer, used to rather expensive software at one time...
How dared I to mind a free of charge alternative to free of charge software.

And Lightroom is a single charge purchase
I did not see any mention of one time purchase on the adobe.com . I heard several times that their software is subscription only now. But I clearly see Lightroom 5 packages by Adobe on eBay so I should agree with that.

It really helps in getting the most out of the 645z or 645D in difficult lighting situations with the final image.
I think that if OP needed it he would already use it himself.
04-04-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used many free and not free pieces of software for photography. Nothing has everything that Lightroom offers. For most shooting I don't ever have to leave that application.

If there were free applications which were as good, I'd be happy to use them. None of the ones I've tried are.
04-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

Just to name one somewhat secondary feature- Lens Profiles and geometry correction.

I did an experiment with a landscape photo of Sydney skyline with high dynamic range 645z image done by an Australian photographer- evaluating Iridient Developer 3- did everything I could to try to match the results I got rather easily with Lightroom. Couldn't come nearly close enough. And I used to use Iridient Developer quite a bit back in the mid 2000's, back when Lightroom didn't exist. Maybe I just need to study up on it more. It's a good product, about $90 if I recall correctly.

BTW, those prices I mentioned were for Lightroom on Amazon- no need to hunt at eBay for software, though I do get lenses from Far East dealers through eBay, and musical instruments from time to time (mostly guitars).

While I've used Aperture quite a bit in the past, with good results, Apple has abandoned it, and the current version of photos (I'm a registered developer) does't even match the image processing in the OS X Preview App. Or iPhoto. To say it's not ready for prime time as anything more than a photo organizer is a major understatement.

04-05-2015, 04:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Casion Quote
Did you mean "download and pay $10 monthly"? Is there a universe where Lightroom is free of charge?

I have heard numerous complaints about "catalog" in LR. I guess that it did not change yet.

There are several RAW developers except Lightroom and some of them are even free of charge. There are free of charge editors too.
I pay $10 per month for Lightroom, and Photoshop CC. I think that it is well worth $120 per year.

Regards

Chris
04-05-2015, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #10

Free software, like free cars and free cameras, are worth about what you pay for them.

Yes, you can still buy LR5 (and likely LR6 within a few weeks) on a perpetual license. If you google (which is still free!) the issue, you can find it on Adobe's site, though they make it very hard to find, deliberately. Or, you can just order a copy from B&H or other resellers.

The $10/month plan gets you BOTH LR and Photoshop, so it's not a horrendous ripoff. I hate the subscription model, but the price works out not too much differently than an upgrade every 18 months, if you consider you have PS thrown in.

- N.
04-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #11

I do not want to discuss whether owner of 645D should pay for Lightroom or not.

But this:
QuoteOriginally posted by ndevlin Quote
Free software, like free cars and free cameras, are worth about what you pay for them.
is consumerist and blatantly ignorant.

Lighroom gives support for GPGPU, it integrates an editor/retoucher into RAW conversion which reapplies saved actions, it gives fluent expirience, it has support for scripting and plugins, it s powerful in managing the material. All of these are things which you can buy using dollars.

Free of charge RAW developers are developed by enthusiasts and they have: improved resizing algorythms, better highlight recovery tool, more output profile options, more accessible profile options and more access to constants like black and white point, also CIECAM (which I do not use yet). None of this is present in Lightroom and wont be implemented in it because people do not use these properties.

By not paying for RAW software I get what I can't buy for money.

You might notice that no science project uses any version Windows for computations, they seem to prefer Linux.
04-05-2015, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #12

Use whatever turns you on. If you're interesting in photography as a science experiment, there are endless possibilities for amusement and experimentation, just as there were abundant obscure specialty developers in the film era. But pointing people who are primarily interested in the photography aspect of photography towards fringe/speciality developing software won't help them enjoy their time spent on their hobby.

Professionals, on the other hand, standardize on professional workflows for a reason. And I am certain that a professional post-processor using the mainstream tools will generate a better finished file or print every time than someone spending their afternoon trying to get their toaster to run on LINUX. :-)