Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Accurate manual focus on 645Z

Just curious how others out there are focusing their landscape shots on the 645Z

Options are:

1. Autofocus. Correct the focus alignment and use auto focus (wide open), picking and appropriate area of the landscape to focus on to maximize DOF.

2. Manual focus wide open, focus point same as above. Done in live view.

3. Manual focus. Set aperture to shooting aperture and use manual DOF Preview (hold it down). You now should see full working DOF and can move around screen at 100% to check near and infinity for best sharpness.

I have tried all 3 with varied results. I am shooting sometimes now handheld due to the Z's ISO capability so the live view goes out the window there.

I also find that options 2 and 3 will have you focus at different distances, but with differing results even at f11-16.

Scott

04-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Just curious how others out there are focusing their landscape shots on the 645Z

Options are:

1. Autofocus. Correct the focus alignment and use auto focus (wide open), picking and appropriate area of the landscape to focus on to maximize DOF.

2. Manual focus wide open, focus point same as above. Done in live view.

3. Manual focus. Set aperture to shooting aperture and use manual DOF Preview (hold it down). You now should see full working DOF and can move around screen at 100% to check near and infinity for best sharpness.

I have tried all 3 with varied results. I am shooting sometimes now handheld due to the Z's ISO capability so the live view goes out the window there.

I also find that options 2 and 3 will have you focus at different distances, but with differing results even at f11-16.

Scott
If you're on a tripod, go with option 2 and zoom in on the image. Once you attain focus wide-open, things will only get better when stopped down (until diffraction sets in around F16-22).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The reason why I use DOF preview is that I find most of the lenses have some focus shift ie focus point moves forward or backward once stopped down.