Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

Iso Noise Reduction 645Z

I live in Australia and have recently bought a Pentax 645Z. Just wanted to know if high iso NR is applied to raw files in camera or is it just applied to jpegs. It is supposed to be a good camera for higher isos but I see noise at iso 400 in raw file portraits and other shots which doesn't look good. This is viewing at 100%. When I apply noise reduction in lightroom it visibly reduces the noise but detail starts to go. I thought the higher iso noise performance was supposed to be good even in raw files up to iso 1600 or so but doesn't seem so. Am I missing something or is something up with the camera

04-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bjorn Baklien Quote
I live in Australia and have recently bought a Pentax 645Z. Just wanted to know if high iso NR is applied to raw files in camera or is it just applied to jpegs. It is supposed to be a good camera for higher isos but I see noise at iso 400 in raw file portraits and other shots which doesn't look good. This is viewing at 100%. When I apply noise reduction in lightroom it visibly reduces the noise but detail starts to go. I thought the higher iso noise performance was supposed to be good even in raw files up to iso 1600 or so but doesn't seem so. Am I missing something or is something up with the camera
In-camera noise reduction only applies to JPEGs. If you don't apply baseline noise reduction to your RAWs they may end up looking much noisier than expected, especially if you skip out on color noise reduction. Your processed files should look pretty clean up to and including ISO 3200, and fine for smaller prints up to and including ISO 12800.

Here's what to expect:
Pentax 645Z Review - Daytime High-ISO | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Feel free to post the file you're having trouble with and I'll be happy to take a look.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In-camera noise reduction only applies to JPEGs. If you don't apply baseline noise reduction to your RAWs they may end up looking much noisier than expected, especially if you skip out on color noise reduction. Your processed files should look pretty clean up to and including ISO 3200, and fine for smaller prints up to and including ISO 12800.

Here's what to expect:
Pentax 645Z Review - Daytime High-ISO | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Feel free to post the file you're having trouble with and I'll be happy to take a look.
Thanks Adam. I suppose when viewed at 100% some grain will show up. If I post a raw file here for review what is maximum size?
04-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bjorn Baklien Quote
Thanks Adam. I suppose when viewed at 100% some grain will show up. If I post a raw file here for review what is maximum size?
You can't upload raw files directly on the forum, so you'd have to use your own hosting service or a free file sharing service. Once the file is online, just link us to it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: