Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #1

New 645z Kit With Free 55mm

Stopped in a local camera store this morning (CameraMart in Pontiac, MI) to pick up a cable remote for the Z. Guy there told me the Pentax rep said Ricoh is now supplying the SMC PENTAX DFA 645 55mm F2.8 lens with a 645z purchase for the same MSRP of $8500. Haven't heard of this offer anywhere else or maybe it is only to brick and mortar stores. My skepticism says it is only a ploy by that store to unload the Z they have on the shelf which they've had some trouble selling. We'll see though if we begin seeing 'kits' for sale at the same price elsewhere. Ploy or not, it's a heck of a deal. If you want it, look them up and give them a call.

I'm not surprised the Z doesn't sell well in the Detroit area. There isn't a single dealer for any medium format system (other than CameraMart with their Z). I was told by a PhaseOne rep, Detroit is serviced mostly by Cleveland area dealers. So the people who understand the benefits are few and far in between, here especially.

For the haters: please spare me the "well at that price, they should include a free used car..." or similar spites. Remember the Z has always been a tremendous bargain when comparing apples to applies like that of Hasselblads or Mamiyas using the same Sony sensor. A free lens just makes it more so. Regardless, there is NO other camera that can do what the Z does with low light performance.

04-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 72ndPoolShark Quote
For the haters: please spare me the "well at that price, they should include a free used car..." or similar spites.
Wrong forum for haters, that's the other one.
04-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Likely it's the same deal that the Canadian retailers started offering this week... $8999 CAD for a 645Z+55mm lens... mentioned in this thread:

US resident buying 645Z from Henry's?

Strange the timing wasn't the same though... perhaps the retailers here in Canada felt a lot of inquiry/buying from US addresses and it was going to mess up the stock allocations. We might have been the place to 'test the waters'.
04-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
*snip* when comparing apples to applies *snip*
...I believe it was "apples for appliances"
Seriously, though, nice bargain, the Z is a killer...

04-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I'm not surprised the Z doesn't sell well in the Detroit area. There isn't a single dealer for any medium format system (other than CameraMart with their Z). I was told by a PhaseOne rep, Detroit is serviced mostly by Cleveland area dealers. So the people who understand the benefits are few and far in between, here especially.
The camera store in my area (Rockbrook Camera in Omaha) has their Z available for renting...maybe the Detroit area store should try the same to get some revenue. I visited a store in central Nebraska (Kearney) several weeks ago to see if they had one - the slot was empty. A well known landscape photographer (if I remember correctly, I think I was told it was Jake Olson Jake Olson Studios | NEBRASKA FINE ART PRINTS) had purchased their only copy. If they can be sold and rented in the sparsely populated plains, it seems like the same would hold true in Detroit if some effort is put into it by the store's sales staff.

That is a very good deal, BTW. I'm biding my time, waiting for something similar in my area or at BH Photo again.

Thanks,
Daryl
04-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the haters
What? Where? we have haters?
04-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Stopped in a local camera store this morning (CameraMart in Pontiac, MI) to pick up a cable remote for the Z. Guy there told me the Pentax rep said Ricoh is now supplying the SMC PENTAX DFA 645 55mm F2.8 lens with a 645z purchase for the same MSRP of $8500. Haven't heard of this offer anywhere else or maybe it is only to brick and mortar stores. My skepticism says it is only a ploy by that store to unload the Z they have on the shelf which they've had some trouble selling. We'll see though if we begin seeing 'kits' for sale at the same price elsewhere. Ploy or not, it's a heck of a deal. If you want it, look them up and give them a call.

For the haters: please spare me the "well at that price, they should include a free used car..." or similar spites. Remember the Z has always been a tremendous bargain when comparing apples to applies like that of Hasselblads or Mamiyas using the same Sony sensor. A free lens just makes it more so. Regardless, there is NO other camera that can do what the Z does with low light performance.
WPPI was the trigger but in my opinion, the price has been adjusted down for good going forward. For medium format guys who are used to paying $20-30k for a back alone, 645Z kit price is a bargain and then some. Take the lens price out of the kit and now you are in the range of a high end Nikon or Canon body for a beast of a camera. The car and all the other jokes are on Hassy, Leica and Phase One!!

Last edited by btnapa; 04-05-2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Add copy
04-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

That was some special pricing put into effect to coincide with the WPPI show in Las Vegas. It was available for a short time only and has nothing to do with what dealers have on their shelves.

For what it's worth, I use a dealer who sells the 645Z at super low prices. If interested just PM me. I am in no way affiliated with this dealer-I just spend my money there.
04-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
That was some special pricing put into effect to coincide with the WPPI show in Las Vegas. It was available for a short time only and has nothing to do with what dealers have on their shelves.

For what it's worth, I use a dealer who sells the 645Z at super low prices. If interested just PM me. I am in no way affiliated with this dealer-I just spend my money there.
That's right, it was a short term deal to coincide with the convention in Vegas. My dealer just managed it for me a day after it ended.

However, other options are to buy from Japan or even Europe with the Euro now so low, it may be worth it.