Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2015, 03:47 AM   #1

Pentax 645n hyperfocal chart

I am looking for a Hyperfocal chart for my Pentax 645n,all the ones I have see are for digital cameras, does anybody know of one I can obtain.

04-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Roughcollie Quote
I am looking for a Hyperfocal chart for my Pentax 645n,all the ones I have see are for digital cameras, does anybody know of one I can obtain.
Not really a chart, but a calculator where you can put your camera type (6x4.5 for 645n, I believe) and it calculatea it for you. You can make a chart from the values yourself... A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator
04-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenny47 Quote
Not really a chart, but a calculator where you can put your camera type (6x4.5 for 645n, I believe) and it calculatea it for you. You can make a chart from the values yourself... A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator
Great resource. Cambridge in Color is an excellent site.* Probably the best part of the linked page is the discussion that follows. Hyperfocal sounds cool and it is! It worked well enough for millions of fixed focus box cameras over the last 150 years. That being said, my approach has always been to use it as a tool among many tools. Even stopped down, there is only one point of focus.

Back to the OP's request...There is no real need for a chart. The distance and DOF scales on the lens should be enough. Disable AF and place the infinity mark at the desired aperture mark on the DOF scale. The focus is now at the hyperfocal and the near limit is indicated by the second aperture mark.

Steve

* There is an error on the linked page, however. The diagram for DOF incorrectly labeled the "plane of focus" as "focal plane". The focal plane is the same as the film/sensor plane.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-06-2015 at 09:52 AM.
04-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I grabbed an app for my iphone called SetMyCamDF. Works nicely for me. Pick your camera, your focal length, and it'll calculate hyperfocal distance, or give you near/far focus for a set focus distance/aperture/focal length combo. Good for zooms, and primes that don't have DoF markings. If the lens has DoF markings, I do as Stevebrot suggested.