Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
645 lenses on Sony full frame E mount adapter

Has anyone tried using their 645 lens on full frame Sony e mount? What adapter do you use?

I've been looking all over, and found this. So i bought it and tried it, but while the lenses can be mounted onto the adapter, but the camera cannot be mounted. Its like it's not made for E mount. I don't want to force it because it seems it would damage the mount. So I returned it.

Amazon.com : Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Pentax 645 (P645) Mount Lenses to Sony E-Mount Mirrorless Camera Adapter - for Sony NEX & E-mount Camera Bodies (APS-C & Full Frame such as NEX-5, NEX-7 & a7) : Camera & Photo

I have FA150 and FA 300 and eager to see how they fare on the A7 II with in body stabilization. Especially for 150 because it's so compact.

04-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Fotodiox seems like a pretty good brand, I used one of their 67 to 645 adapters and it worked nicely. Not sure what could have been wrong with yours, although I did once have a M42 -> EOS adapter that jammed on my 5D2 due to a pin on the camera side of the adapter that got loose.

Maybe the fitting is just really tight or something, given the huge leverage an adapter that long would apply to the mount, and if you were wondering I had to apply quite a lot of arm strength to loosen my M42 adapter and it didn't screw up the camera mount.
04-13-2015, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #3

Since I am using also Canon EOS camera and lenses, as well as Sony A mount camera such as A99, A77II, plus Sony A7r and A6000, so when I bring Pentax 645Z with lenses for travelling, I use A7r and A6000 system as back up, because Pentax 645 does not have very wide lenses, so I normally carry the Canon 14mm f2.8 and the 8-15mm fisheye lenses to use on A7r with adapter ( can do AF-S), so I also carry a P645 to EOS adaptor, so just in case, I can use the P645 lenses on my A7r as well as A6000 ( for fast frame rate per sec). So what I have are a two-step adapters, P645 to EOS, then EOS to E (FE) mount. Also I have P645 to MA ( Sony A mount) adapters, as well as the Sony A mount to E mount adapter by Sony which again is a two-step adapters from P645 to Sony E mount. Both works fine for me, and it seems more flexible in these ways.
04-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I'll look into 645-Nikon adapter since I already have Nikon-NEX adapter.

04-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thomaskplee Quote
Since I am using also Canon EOS camera and lenses, as well as Sony A mount camera such as A99, A77II, plus Sony A7r and A6000, so when I bring Pentax 645Z with lenses for travelling, I use A7r and A6000 system as back up, because Pentax 645 does not have very wide lenses, so I normally carry the Canon 14mm f2.8 and the 8-15mm fisheye lenses to use on A7r with adapter ( can do AF-S), so I also carry a P645 to EOS adaptor, so just in case, I can use the P645 lenses on my A7r as well as A6000 ( for fast frame rate per sec). So what I have are a two-step adapters, P645 to EOS, then EOS to E (FE) mount. Also I have P645 to MA ( Sony A mount) adapters, as well as the Sony A mount to E mount adapter by Sony which again is a two-step adapters from P645 to Sony E mount. Both works fine for me, and it seems more flexible in these ways.
Im wondering how you find the P 645 glass mounted on the a6000? Im considering the Sony a6000 as a small back up camera in my 645Z kit. Ideally the A7r would be better but the a600 is pretty impressive for its price. Any insight would be great. Thank you.
04-16-2015, 04:30 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
Im wondering how you find the P 645 glass mounted on the a6000? Im considering the Sony a6000 as a small back up camera in my 645Z kit. Ideally the A7r would be better but the a600 is pretty impressive for its price. Any insight would be great. Thank you.
There is no problem using the A6000 with the P645 lenses, in fact, since Sony camera has the "Peaking Level" to help doing MF, it is quite easy to shoot and capture motions, plus the high frame speed of 11/sec, it can help fill up the short comings of 645Z ( only 3 frames/sec). Also provide a longer focal length to shoot small and far away subjects such as birds!
04-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

If you do not already own an A6000, you might want to wait since the next iteration is due out in a couple of weeks, That means the current model will drop in price or if after looking at what the new model can do, you then have the option of buying the newer model.

04-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There is no problem using the A6000 with the P645 lenses, in fact, since Sony camera has the "Peaking Level" to help doing MF, it is quite easy to shoot and capture motions, plus the high frame speed of 11/sec, it can help fill up the short comings of 645Z ( only 3 frames/sec). Also provide a longer focal length to shoot small and far away subjects such as birds!

Do you have any image examples with the combo, and would you recommend the Sony a6000 as a back up light weight option?

Thank you

---------- Post added 04-20-15 at 11:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
If you do not already own an A6000, you might want to wait since the next iteration is due out in a couple of weeks, That means the current model will drop in price or if after looking at what the new model can do, you then have the option of buying the newer model.

Ahh thanks for the heads up, Cant keep up with Sony and its Alpha range!
07-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use A P645- Canon adapter and then one of two EF- Sony E mount adapters (Metabones Mk III, or Fotodiox Vizelex with built-in variable ND filter). Here's a shot using the P67 150/2.4 lens on my Sony A7R.

03-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #10

Which P645 to MA adapter do you have ? All I could find on the internet is the Mirex tilt-shift adapter, and the price is "on request "(but I presume it's around 400 euro)
03-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brelip Quote
I've been looking all over, and found this. So i bought it and tried it, but while the lenses can be mounted onto the adapter, but the camera cannot be mounted. Its like it's not made for E mount. I don't want to force it because it seems it would damage the mount. So I returned it.

Amazon.com : Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Pentax 645 (P645) Mount Lenses to Sony E-Mount Mirrorless Camera Adapter - for Sony NEX & E-mount Camera Bodies (APS-C & Full Frame such as NEX-5, NEX-7 & a7) : Camera & Photo
not sure what sony you have, but it could be camera-dependent... there have been a few reports of problems with the e-mount side of some of the adapters, because sony went with a stiffer mount on the later a7* models.
04-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I changed the E-mount to the stiffer (claimed) Fotodiox E-mount on my A7R.
12-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #13

I use Mirex Shift Adapter for Sony FE to Canon EF or the one from Sigma. From there i use Kipon Shift Adapter Canon EF to Pentax 645 or Shift adapter Canon EF to Pentax 67.
Here i Europe it is a stupid problem to get all the different adapters from Kipon, which is the brand i prefer till now.
In USA you should have better changes to get more of Kiponīs products as i have seen online. (I use Shift-Adapters, because i could not buy the normal ones)

At all, i use Pentax 645, Pentax 67 and a lot of Nikons at the Sony A7RII. All of them have manuell apperture. I rarely use my Canons, becaue i dont like the idea to change the apperture at the canon and put the lens again to the sony.