Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 645 Z was sent to Philliphines and not Japan for repair as I tripped and fell with the camera. There was some damage to the body, some replacement done and rear screen was replaced. It took slightly over a month to have it back today. Total cost about US 650/ am aware warranty does cover negligent on my part. I am from Singapore.

My body looks brand new now.

marcus

05-05-2015, 10:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Last week, my camera was supposedly at Canadian Customs and on its way back to me. Still not here. Not a happy puppy. Oh well, took my 645 gear and my Olympus m4/3s gear on a 3 week trip. Guess which got used the most?
05-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well, my camera made it back to my local camera store - I will see it next week. Hopefully, after being gone for almost 3 months, it will not have to be returned to Ricoh Pentax. Unfortunately, I have a 2 week trip planned to Iceland and will not have the time to make sure it is functioning properly so other options have been chosen. They involve driving, meat soup comparisons and driving. Maybe taking out a camera to photograph something. Too bad beer is kinda pricey but then again, you can relish it more.
06-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Iceland

Sorry to read about the poor service/ communication on your 645Z saga.

Iceland is truly awesome (and I use that word very sparingly, being somewhat older then in my teens/20s ). If you haven't been to Iceland before and even if you have, you'll want an appropriate camera to capture the images!

06-14-2015, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
actually, my camera made it back to the local retailer the day before we left to catch the plane so I didn't take that particular body with me. No longer being of sound body, I felt the pain of carrying a 645 outfit around. I used a Gura 18l Batafly(or whatever) to haul it and 4 lenses - all zooms. Too much for this kid. It also turned out to be the coldest May on record in Iceland this year. As a Canadian, I thought I was prepared for the weather. Not even close. By the 3rd day, we were buying clothes, by the 5th day we were buying more, by the 6th day, we were mugging the local sheep. Our attempts to do so were limited by our use of nail clippers - all we had, no shears, no scissors. I have been back in Canada now for about a week and finally my internal clock and sense of balance are back to normal. When I got off the plane in Canada, I fell flat on my face. I had spent so much time leaning forward to be able to walk into the Iceland wind that I adjusted my balance to walk that way. The first few Canadian days were rough. To counteract that front lean, I had to intentionally back lean which led to falling flat on my bu ..ack, yes back, that's what is was. But I'm normal now. Meanwhile my original Z is waiting my attempts to use it. The list of things replaced or looked at in it is quite impressive, according to the repair sheet.
06-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
so, I was noticing a problem with my Z in that sometimes It would kind of lock up. You could fire the shutter and capture an image but the back screen and controls were just dead. No image review, no changing of any parameters. Usually got it back by shutting the camera down for a bit. Sent it back to my dealer who shipped it in to Ricoh Pentax Canada. 6 weeks ago. After a couple of weeks of questioning, they now say it is off to Japan. They were trying to figure if they were going to charge me $100 or $400 for this service. My dealer told them where to go and how far - one of the reasons I like the guy. Also free beer when I occasionally show up at the store(not actually in the store which would be nice sometimes.). My D was looked after fairly quickly a few years ago while Pentax Canada still existed but this new service model just sucks big time. It seems that the new paradigm is money grabbing by any method.
My take exactly. I hope I don't have to get my 645D serviced as last time it took five and a half months to get my lens repair quoted and shipped back to me without repair as I decided it was not worth being ripped off. I was thinking the Digital 645's especially the Z was a sure shot at Phase One, but what is an expensive and complex pro camera worth without honest service. My retailer never mentioned I would have to pay for shipping to Japan for service under warranty. To his credit, he argued for me and got it shipped without cost just to get an estimate, I believe they hiked the repair cost up and covered the cost of shipping that still landed on me if I agreed to the cost of repair. I firmly believe that they intentionally delayed the return of my lens out of spite since it ended up costing them when I refused the repair. Call me paranoid if you like, but most survivors are paranoid. NO more rip-off by Pentax, I'm done! I need to make a correction, my camera was not under warranty it was the 25 mm lens that cost me $5k that was still in warranty but Pentax wanted me to pay shipping as I tripped and the camera case was ripped from my hands and took a hard fall. The Canon in the same bag came up smiling. Lucky for me as I was on a photography Safari.

The Pentax people in Japan will not even answer emails and inquiries from the retailer let alone the owner. Arrogance and total indifference, good camera though if it keeps working, God help you when you need service.

Last edited by aeros; 06-15-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Misinformaqtion
06-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
if Ricoh Pentax Canada wishes to sell the 645z and its successors, it had better be prepared to provide better than average support for a $10k(with taxes) body. They are just now talking - not implementing, talking - about a lending program for Z equipment that requires work. They knew this body was coming and didn't get that up and running even after farming out their repair work to an untrained - in Z and other high end - 3rd party. If I wasn't so heavily invested, I don't know. My second body had some interesting episodes in Iceland. I will see if I can reproduce them at home. It might just have been the cold.
06-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #23

My 645z locked up this morning but with LV still on. The power switch wouldn't even turn it off. Had to remove the battery.

06-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #24

All these helpful posts about Ricoh's poor customer service have scared me away from purchasing a 645z. Hopefully, they'll correct this shortcoming soon.

Last edited by yogi; 06-18-2015 at 05:32 PM.