Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

my 645Z is off to Japan and I'm not with it

so, I was noticing a problem with my Z in that sometimes It would kind of lock up. You could fire the shutter and capture an image but the back screen and controls were just dead. No image review, no changing of any parameters. Usually got it back by shutting the camera down for a bit. Sent it back to my dealer who shipped it in to Ricoh Pentax Canada. 6 weeks ago. After a couple of weeks of questioning, they now say it is off to Japan. They were trying to figure if they were going to charge me $100 or $400 for this service. My dealer told them where to go and how far - one of the reasons I like the guy. Also free beer when I occasionally show up at the store(not actually in the store which would be nice sometimes.). My D was looked after fairly quickly a few years ago while Pentax Canada still existed but this new service model just sucks big time. It seems that the new paradigm is money grabbing by any method.

04-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Forum Member

Sorry to hear about that. Hope it comes back soon without further issues.
04-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #3

I wonder if things will have changed by the time 645z appear on the used market and problems arise...no dealer to fight your corner
04-14-2015, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
6 weeks without camera is definitely not going make pro happy, if they are targeting this camera to pro.....

04-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well they're not established enough to offer something like NPS, but you know that going in. I would think for a pro (who buys new) it would be in Ricoh's interest to offer a free loaner if they can't expedite service.

I have no idea how many pros are using 645D/Zs and if it exceeds their targets, but if they expected few working pros it could explain the situation some.
04-15-2015, 06:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
I figure the camera could be gone 2-3 months in total. Supposedly, in the US, there is a loaner program as it looks like major work goes back to Japan there as well. In Canada, Ricoh Pentax is looking into it. We are special up here.
04-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Im sorry to hear you are without your Z. Im now on my 2nd 645Z body. Luckily when I found out that the Australian Service centre couldn't repair it and had to send it to japan, they sent me another Body. Just wondering what the shutter count of your 645Z was at roughly?

04-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
the shutter count on my body was in the 5-10K range, at best. The problem showed itself about 4 months and only maybe 2k activations after I received the camera but I waited a few more months before I sent it in. I was fortunate enough to pick up a second Z for a very low price because my usual purveyor had one sitting around not being sold and they wanted it off the shelf. And luckily I had not got around to selling off my old D body so this is basically a nuisance not life-threatening.
04-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

CPS or NPS like service coming to Canada

I had issues with one of my lenses. I called my dealer. The lens was shipped to Japan for repair, but Vistek was able to get me a loaner. I talked to Ricoh representative and they are working on creating a on a loaner system for all pros. So it is coming. I am sorry to hear you had trouble, and I agree, for a pro, any day without your equipment is not acceptable.

Send me a pm if you want to know more hsteeves.
04-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeromexs Quote
.... I talked to Ricoh representative and they are working on creating a on a loaner system for all pros. So it is coming....
Well, that's big news! I will see if I can confirm as well through a rep I know.
04-20-2015, 05:31 AM   #11

Original Poster
problem is, I'm not a pro. I still figure 3 months in all. Already up to 6 weeks.
04-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #12

I had to send my 25mm lens for repair, after many weeks I was asked if I wanted to send the lens to Japan for repair and the shipping would be $170.00 just to get an estimate. Estimate came back after several weeks at $600.00 to replace the AF servo, I said no thanks send it back, that took more than a month. In all this fiasco cost me five months without my pro lens that I paid over $5k for. The word on the street is that this lens had a bad AF servo and many shooters got burned. FIVE $#@%^&*% MONTHS!!!
04-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #13

Original Poster
It really seems to me that Ricoh Pentax simply doesn't understand what it has in the medium format market. They, along with others, simply look at buyers as nothing more than money generators. The problem is, as technology advances, people could walk away from the system to go with other choices if service is poor. Look at the new Canons and you know that Nikon/Sony are around the corner. Service for those should be a little closer to home although I am hearing bad stories there too.
04-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Good luck with the repair. At least you've kept your sense of humor, the title of your post cracked me up.
04-25-2015, 06:29 AM   #15

Original Poster
So, the last I heard about my camera was that it was on its way back from Japan, which was interesting as less than a week before they were still talking about sending it there. Either that was one very quick repair or the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.