Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2015, 02:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentacon six

Did anybody try some of the old Zeiss pentacon Six lenses on the Pentax 645's? The Zeiss 80/2.8 Biometar comes to my mind. I rather liked that lens on FF.

04-18-2015, 03:58 AM   #2

Have a 500mm, and a sovjet Fisheye. Heavy, not very flare resistant, but OK when stepped down.
Give me a note when You like to try/buy them. I live near to Enschede (at the other side of the border).

-Linus-
04-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the offer Linus, those are not the lenses that interest me so much. More so the 50, 80 and 120 Zeiss lenses how they fare on this sensor. I had the 180 Sonnar for some time but it has a ridiculous size and weight.
09-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have any Pentax A 645 lenses, so I only use Zeiss (2.8/80 and 2.8/180) and Soviet (3.5/65 and 2.8/90) lenses on my film 645. Happy to provide any input, if you are still interested. Old thread, I know...

10-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I don't have any Pentax A 645 lenses, so I only use Zeiss (2.8/80 and 2.8/180) and Soviet (3.5/65 and 2.8/90) lenses on my film 645. Happy to provide any input, if you are still interested. Old thread, I know...
How do you like Sovjet Vega-12 90/2.8 ( I almost pressed the buy button, to try one, a few times.) Does it have comparable rendering as the Biometar?
Could be nice for portraits, I thought.
10-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Two weeks before I would have posted a "+1" . Than an affordable 75mmLS crossed my ways. Before I only used a Zeiss Distgon CF 50 FLE, VEB Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 2.8/80mm, Zeiss Planar CF 3.5/100m, Sonnar CF 4/180 and CZ Jena Sonnar 4/300mm on my 645N. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3786264
10-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used the Biometer 80, the Sonnar 180 and the Flektogon 50/4. All of these were a bit soft with my Pentax 645.

I bought a nice looking Pentacon Six TL, had it cleaned and adjusted, and use the lenses with the camera they were designed for. They produce very sharp photographs now so I it appears that the adapter I was using wasn't quite up to the quality of the lenses themselves.

To be completely honest, though I do love the rendering of the Flektogon, I still prefer the Pentax 645 lenses myself. They are lighter, easier to handle, and provide photographs that are just as nice. Though I have not done any real testing I also believe they are sharper across the entire negative.

The older Zeiss lenses are quite sharp in the center but tend to soften toward the edges, even when stopped down. Of course, some of that is what provides their unique signature. They could probably use a good overhaul and cleaning as well, which is likely part of the problem.
10-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a selection of comparison shots using P6 lenses on a 645Z for anybody interested. There's been minimal editing to keep the effect of the lens as genuine as possible.

Bob Latham | P6 lenses on P645Z camera...nerd photos

Bob

10-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
I've got a selection of comparison shots using P6 lenses on a 645Z for anybody interested. There's been minimal editing to keep the effect of the lens as genuine as possible.

Bob
Those are very good shots Bob. Thank you very much for posting them.

I would like to give mine another try on my 645D but I know that my current adapter is definitely not up to the task. If you don't mind, where did you get your adapter?
10-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptormic Quote
How do you like Sovjet Vega-12 90/2.8 ( I almost pressed the buy button, to try one, a few times.) Does it have comparable rendering as the Biometar?
Could be nice for portraits, I thought.
I like it. To be honest with you, I haven't used either lens long enough to say which one I like more. For my purposes, it works fine. And my purposes do not include pixel peeping to try to see which lens is sharper in the bottom left corner, not that there is anything wrong with doing it. From that point of view, Vega might have slightly nicer bokeh than the Biometar. I haven't tried it for portraits as I have the Sonnar for those...

I remember there was some discussion that the Biometar is actually 85mm, not 80. Bob (who did P6 comparisons) may have an answer, so the Vega might actually be closer to Biometar in focal length, than it would seem. I can post a couple of photos with the Vega. So far I only shot one roll of film with it...

I can post a couple of pictures when I get back in town...
10-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Those are very good shots Bob. Thank you very much for posting them.

I would like to give mine another try on my 645D but I know that my current adapter is definitely not up to the task. If you don't mind, where did you get your adapter?
I have two adapters from different manufacturers and these shots were with the Hartblei version. I suspect a tolerance issue on the second one as results indicate that the lens is not perpendicular to the sensor.

Pentacon 6 / Pentax 645 | Hartblei? Company - tilt / shift lenses and accessories, Soviet and Germany vintage cameras, lenses and accessories

Bob
10-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
I have two adapters from different manufacturers and these shots were with the Hartblei version. I suspect a tolerance issue on the second one as results indicate that the lens is not perpendicular to the sensor.

Pentacon 6 / Pentax 645 | Hartblei? Company - tilt / shift lenses and accessories, Soviet and Germany vintage cameras, lenses and accessories

Bob
Thank you very much. I just put in an order for the Hartblei version and I'll keep my fingers crossed.