Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

645Z and off Camera Flash

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but has anyone found a way to achieve HSS with off camera flash?

I have a number of Quantum flash heads as well as TTL triggers from PocketWizard but they are unfortunately for my Nikons, so I'm wondering if there is something similar that can do HSS with off camera flash, preferably the Quantums but I can live with multiple 540FGZ II's.

Thanks!

Zee

04-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #2

In the best tradition of helpful answers - yes and no!

The only way that I have found is with two 540FGZ II, one on camera. No combination of pocket wizards, Cactus V6 or even 540FGZ II with Cactus flash works for me.

Good luck.

Ed
04-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fotonow Quote
Sorry if this has already been addressed, but has anyone found a way to achieve HSS with off camera flash?

I have a number of Quantum flash heads as well as TTL triggers from PocketWizard but they are unfortunately for my Nikons, so I'm wondering if there is something similar that can do HSS with off camera flash, preferably the Quantums but I can live with multiple 540FGZ II's.

Thanks!

Zee
Why would you want to use HSS with off camera flash. HSS is primarily used for fill flash on camera, When using off camera flash, there are so many other ways of getting a proper exposer other that HSS.
04-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #4

Mike

I can answer why I need it. My interest is macro and I do a lot with in field insect photography. Here you need highly diffused lighting ( ring flash is not great) and fast speeds to freeze action. I like to work with one or two off camera flashes with soft boxes. The Canon 5dr is looking increasingly attractive.

Ed

04-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #5

For an ugly wired solution, try the hot shoe adapter F with a special cable.
04-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As above, HSS with the Z is currently only possible with the 540 FGZ II. I wish I had one....With the Cactus V6 you've got pass through capabilities with the transceiver unit mounted on the camera----but also as stated above there is that 9 foot cable available, which ought to be fine for your purposes, if not the shorter coiled one. But you will also need the shoe adapter with the 5-pin plug.
04-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by constable Quote
In the best tradition of helpful answers - yes and no!

The only way that I have found is with two 540FGZ II, one on camera. No combination of pocket wizards, Cactus V6 or even 540FGZ II with Cactus flash works for me.

Good luck.

Ed
Interesting, so you use the Cactus on camera and the flashes remote, or do you have to have a flash on camera as well?

04-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Why would you want to use HSS with off camera flash. HSS is primarily used for fill flash on camera, When using off camera flash, there are so many other ways of getting a proper exposer other that HSS.
I do outdoor portraits and with larger groups I use more than one fill flash.... hence the need. Plus I do a lot of "play" shots with macro....
04-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #9

I have been reading this thread and scraching my head. What is the big deal with say just using off camera studio flashes, even outdoors with a battery pack? So today I decided to get out one Einstein flash and two of my Pocket Wizards III (PW3) that I first bought in 2014 for my Canon 5D3 setup which has now been sold.

1. Put 645Z on X (1/125 for flash) and dial in any f stop needed.
2. Put PW3 on 645Z flash hot shoe and turn on making sure channel is same for all PW3.
3. Put PW3 on Einstein and plug sync cord into Einstein and make sure channel is same as camera PW3.
4. Power on 645Z and power on Einstein.
5. Hit 645Z shutter button and 645Z fires flash remotely.

That's all there is to it. The flash basically exposes the image so by keeping the power low, say Ό or ⅛ power my flash duration is ⅙000 to ⅛000 / second. So as long as it is a shorter duration that 1/125 second I am fine.

Last edited by algrove; 04-26-2015 at 09:36 AM.
04-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
I have been reading this thread and scraching my head. What is the big deal with say just using off camera studio flashes, even outdoors with a battery pack? So today I decided to get out one Einstein flash and two of my Pocket Wizards III (PW3) that I first bought in 2014 for my Canon 5D3 setup which has now been sold.

1. Put 645Z on X (1/125 for flash) and dial in any f stop needed.
2. Put PW3 on 645Z flash hot shoe and turn on making sure channel is same for all PW3.
3. Put PW3 on Einstein and plug sync cord into Einstein and make sure channel is same as camera PW3.
4. Power on 645Z and power on Einstein.
5. Hit 645Z shutter button and 645Z fires flash remotely.

That's all there is to it. The flash basically exposes the image so by keeping the power low, say Ό or ⅛ power my flash duration is ⅙000 to ⅛000 / second. So as long as it is a shorter duration that 1/125 second I am fine.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you.... if I'm outdoors and my exposure is f16, 1/800s @ iso100 how is setting the camera to the X setting going to let me sync my strobes at the 1/800s assuming I'm not willing or able to stop down anymore?
04-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #11

Interesting, so you use the Cactus on camera and the flashes remote, or do you have to have a flash on camera as well?
What I use most often is a Cactus V6 between the 645z and Pentax Ring Flash and Cactus Wireless Flash RF60 with soft box or beauty dish off camera. Still limited to 1/125.
04-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #12

I'm not sure I'm understanding you.... if I'm outdoors and my exposure is f16, 1/800s @ iso100 how is setting the camera to the X setting going to let me sync my strobes at the 1/800s assuming I'm not willing or able to stop down anymore?
This could be like the Classic day at the beach flash issue ..

The 645Z camera will not synch at faster than 1/125 …….at F16 ……and ISO 100……..you probably can't get the background dark enough .

1. Always start with the ambient light first …... what is required to produce the background exposure you want ....starting with 1/125 as your top shutter speed .

2. You will need an ND filter of about 3 stops in order to cut the ambient light down to what you want, i.e., going from ⅛00 to 1/125.

3. The flash exposure is secondary ….its whatever you need to get F16 using ISO 100 …..again assuming you want a perfect flash exposure of the subject requires the use of either a flash meter or TTL Or you can do that by trial and error based on experience.

4, You have two ways to alter the flash exposure …(1) the power setting and (2) the distance between the subject and the flash .

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited by algrove; 04-28-2015 at 02:58 PM.
04-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
This could be like the Classic day at the beach flash issue ..

The 645Z camera will not synch at faster than 1/125 …….at F16 (probably the smallest aperture you determine you can use without massive diffraction issues ……and ISO 100……..you probably can't get the background dark enough .
No problems with the rest of your post, but this bit needs attention: not seeing "massive" diffraction issues at f22. There's an active thread talking about this in its later stages, the one on hyperfocal distances. Just sayin. I'm certainly not seeing it. And diffraction problems can be somewhat ameliorated with something like Focus Magic.
04-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #14

Good point so I just removed it to keep the discusion focused on off camera flash techniques. Thanks.