Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #1

Pentax 645 film advance problem

Super excited because my Pentax 645 (original) arrived today but having a little problem though. I load the camera and click the shutter button, it says it advances to 1 but the motor keeps winding and it looks like the film isn't advancing at all. The motor doesn't stop for like 30 secs or unless I turn it off. Once I turn it back on, the motor continues to wind. When I dry-fire, it clicks like normal but when I put the film back in, it'll click and then the motor will start winding again. Did I install the film wrong or do you think it's something else? TIA!

04-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
Forum Member

It's been awhile since I had a 645, but did you load the film properly? You have to ensure you put the film on the feed side, fed it with the black side out, and that the tongue is engaged in the slot, and that you wound to the arrow. You might have to waste a roll to check.
If the film is loaded correctly, then I'd say you have a problem.
04-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canuck_west Quote
It's been awhile since I had a 645, but did you load the film properly? You have to ensure you put the film on the feed side, fed it with the black side out, and that the tongue is engaged in the slot, and that you wound to the arrow. You might have to waste a roll to check.
If the film is loaded correctly, then I'd say you have a problem.
Thanks for your help. Yes I believe I have the film in properly but it looks like the camera back seems to have trouble advancing the film. It almost was if the gears on the camera/film back were not reaching the gears of the camera body. When I attach the film back to the body of the camera with a roll of film threaded on it, the camera would try to engage the camera back to advance the film with no luck.
04-28-2015, 11:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Do you have the plastic back that can be used to dry fire? If so, does it seem to work with that?

Before the first shot, the 645 winds the film for 5 to 10 seconds the first time you press the shutter button with a new film. That's normal. But if it really is 30 seconds then something is wrong.

Early 80s electronics can be temperamental, so it's possible there's a problem there.