Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #1

645Z Questions?

I am an advertising photographer. I owned the 645D. I had some buffer issues and sold it. I am considering 645Z.

1. With the 645D, if I was shooting portraits to SD card high speed, I would often hit the Buffer in the camera if I shot several frames in a row quickly. Has this issue been addressed in the Processing Engine of the new Z camera?

2. I had heard some SD cards do not work with the Z camera. Is there a speed of card rating to ensure the Z writes to card reliably?

3. I tether often. Are people tethering to Lightroom, or to a HotWatched Folder in CaptureOne 8? (Or maybe even the Pentax software?)

4. Has anyone devised a way to mount Contax 645 lens on the Z camera, with an adaptor? I'd love to mount the Contax 80mm f2 lens for wide open shooting.

Thank you for any feedback on this nice camera.

05-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can only speak to question #1...it's MUCH faster than the 645D, at least twice as fast, maybe three times. But still slower than other cameras with smaller files.
05-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/145963-pentax-med...a-adapter.html

Looks like Contax flange distance is shorter than Pentax, therefore adapted lenses would not be able to focus to infinity.
05-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

1. The Z is much faster than the D in every way possible, and I don't think I ever hit the buffer with it yet, but I also don't let off really long bursts.

2. Actually there were problems with the D where using UHS-I SD cards would cause corrupt images randomly, something I myself experienced. As long as you use Sandisk or Lexar cards you'll be fine, I never had a problem yet with the Z.

3. Capture One doesn't work with 645Z files, it will open them if you write them as DNGs, but they will look terrible and the adjustments are all messed up because there's no profile for it. I don't tether, so that's all I can say on the matter.

4. Unfortunately the Pentax mount has one of the longest flange distances of any camera, so the only lenses that can be adapted are Pentax 6x7, Hasselblad V-mount, and Pentacon Six. If you want a really shallow depth of field, you'll have to make do with longer lenses, as currently there are no normal or short teles faster than f/2.8 unless you consider adapting the 105mm f/2.4 - but it has really erratic bokeh that I'm personally not a fan of.

Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 05-02-2015 at 10:13 AM.
05-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out our in depth review for some detailed performance tests:
Pentax 645Z Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all. I appreciate it. I ended up buying the camera yesterday; a great "show special" at Palm Springs Photo Festival. New in box.

I will test all my SD cards. I use only SanDisk and Lexar.

I got the 55AF; will buy the 75 also.

Will learn to tether it, and will report back here. I assume it'll be Lightroom.

Glad they improved the Write Engine. The D was simply too slow for fast shooting.
05-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #7

mtps

Congrats on the purchase. It is a dynamite camera and the 55 is suburb. FYI, I just saw a guy post a video of his entire setup for tethering the Z via LR. It is here on this site somewhere. It works for him.
05-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
Forum Member

Make sure you upgrade your camera to the latest firmware. You'll need to purchase the Pentax tethering software, "Image Transmitter 2" and then upgrade that to the latest version, as well. I have your same setup: the 55mm & 75mm. I'm looking to grab the 150mm for portraits.

I think there's a buy on the Buy and Sell forum on this site who's selling the tethering software for about $135. Not sure if it's sold or not.

05-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/145963-pentax-med...a-adapter.html

Looks like Contax flange distance is shorter than Pentax, therefore adapted lenses would not be able to focus to infinity.
What if you only wanted to shoot tight portraits with one of these other brand lenses? Think it would work at all? If you did not need Infinity? Thanks.
05-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #10

Original Poster
I paid full price for version one of the D transmitter software on CD. $299. Do you think they'd upgrade me for the Z?

QuoteOriginally posted by dShelly Quote
Make sure you upgrade your camera to the latest firmware. You'll need to purchase the Pentax tethering software, "Image Transmitter 2" and then upgrade that to the latest version, as well. I have your same setup: the 55mm & 75mm. I'm looking to grab the 150mm for portraits.

I think there's a buy on the Buy and Sell forum on this site who's selling the tethering software for about $135. Not sure if it's sold or not.
05-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtps Quote
I paid full price for version one of the D transmitter software on CD. $299. Do you think they'd upgrade me for the Z?
Doubtful but worth a shot in my opinion. I would e-mail RIAC directly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #12

In the US there is an extended warranty offered for the Z (out to 3 years) and it includes the Transmitter 2 software in the package deal. Got mine for US$750.
05-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian

What if you only wanted to shoot tight portraits with one of these other brand lenses? Think it would work at all? If you did not need Infinity?
Good question, and I don't have an answer. I don't know why not provided you can actually mount the lens.
05-31-2015, 11:33 PM   #14

I can only comment on SD cards, but I have used a bunch of different Sandisc, Integral and Transcend and no issues, but make sure you format the cards first. I had an issue with one card that I forgot to format while in a blind rush and it threw me an error after 100 files or so. All files were fine though, so after a format, I went on my merry way.
06-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am an advertising photographer. I owned the 645D. I had some buffer issues and sold it. I am considering 645Z.

1. With the 645D, if I was shooting portraits to SD card high speed, I would often hit the Buffer in the camera if I shot several frames in a row quickly. Has this issue been addressed in the Processing Engine of the new Z camera?

2. I had heard some SD cards do not work with the Z camera. Is there a speed of card rating to ensure the Z writes to card reliably?

3. I tether often. Are people tethering to Lightroom, or to a HotWatched Folder in CaptureOne 8? (Or maybe even the Pentax software?)

4. Has anyone devised a way to mount Contax 645 lens on the Z camera, with an adaptor? I'd love to mount the Contax 80mm f2 lens for wide open shooting.

Thank you for any feedback on this nice camera.
buffer - I find it's fast enough to shoot weddings with as long as I use 95mb/s cards. With slower cards it's painful. I still keep my slr's for real speed, but the 645z is very adequate.

Regarding contax I'd love to mount that 80/2 as well but from what I understand it's a bit too much hassle. The blad 110/2 is your next best bet.

cheers