Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Many used Pentax 645 lenses sells for less than 1/10 of new price. I'll call that cheap. It is indeed remarkable, and can only mean that the demand for these lenses is very low, possibly reflecting the interest (or lack thereof) of the digital 645 system.
In contrast, many K-mount lenses keep their value very well. Particularly the expensive ones. The FA* 200/4 macro, that sold new for $1200 - incidentally much cheaper than most Pentax 645 lenses, have sold for as much as $5200!

07-13-2017, 11:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The original Pentax 645 camera seems to be sold used far less commonly, and yet at lower prices, than many similar cameras from Mamiya or Bronica. That suggests either that it's owners hold on to them or that it's much less popular. It certainly lacks that old-school mechanical look and feel that many crave (myself included) and I suspect that lowers it's price significantly. The lenses seem to sell for more than equivalents from other brands though, possibly due to the continued existence of Pentax 645 in digital form.
07-14-2017, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fantastic 645 lens values and results

My buys:

645 A lenses: 45-85 for $189; 120 macro from Keh for $126; 75mm for $49.99 (by buying 645 & lens then reselling the 645 all on eBay); 45mm for $119; 150mm for $125. All are in great condition so that's five great 645-A lenses for only $608 plus maybe littleless than $100 freight.
--I have 645 and 645N film cameras, but so far have used these new arrivals only on K-1 and K-3. The 120 macro has become sticky on K-1 for handheld flower photography. The 150mm is a brilliant lens, sharp with fine rendering, good for tight portraiture and landscape; and 45-85 offers fantastic sharpness for a zoom. However, the 120 macro alone is worth the $608 that I paid for all of these lenses combined. All these lenses work great on the K-1 in aperture priority mode, so once you use A ring to set aperture the camera sets the shutter speed, and you can use the little wheel on top right to set exposure compensation as required. I had flare problems on all these lenses at first, but now have mastered it by a combination of after-market screw-in hoods and by spraying black matte paint on inside of adapter to stop reflections caused by original shiny black interior. (When all else fails, my big black cavalry hat and some homemade black construction paper hoods carry the day.)

645 FA lenses: 300mm f 4.0 for $199.99.
--Waiting for arrival, sells new for $3-4,000, hope mine works because if it works, this has got to be the lens steal of the year! I do not really need this FL, but for the price it will be handy to have if I go crazy in my old age and start chasing birds!

67 lenses: 75mm for $37; 135mm for $55.
-- untested, still waiting for 67-to-K-mount adapter to try on my K-1.
07-14-2017, 04:10 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
$126 for the 120 Macro lens is certainly a scoop! A terriffic lens.
Incidentally, one of the reason people sit on their 645 film cameras (and lenses as well) may be because they don't get paid for them!

07-14-2017, 06:50 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
$126 for the 120 Macro lens is certainly a scoop! A terriffic lens.
Incidentally, one of the reason people sit on their 645 film cameras (and lenses as well) may be because they don't get paid for them!
Yes, I love the 120mm macro which came from Keh. You can't trust their descriptions of lens condition. :>) They had it listed as BGN, but the lens is immaculate and was only missing the front and back caps.
07-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

At this point I'll chime in. I, like Ivanvernon, have a very nice group of Pentax lenses for my Z, some holdovers from my 645N, and most that I bought subsequently at great prices here at this site, at KEH, and randomly here and there: A 35, a 45 I sold, A rare Hartblei 45 shift I got here, the FA 45-85, the DFA 55 purchased used, the standard FA 75 and the 75 LS, the FA 80-160, the A120, the 135LS, the FA 150, FA 200, and just now the A* 300, plus the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters, the 645-K adapter. Used to have one of the 67 lenses and an adapter. Probably all of it I got for under $4K. To me, that's remarkable, and it's also what made getting the Z feasible----no other medium format option in digital was going to be this comprehensive and "affordable". Since I got my Z body new for $5,500.00 after trade-ins, this whole setup has set me back under $10K. Just incredible. And now with my K-1 as alternate camera and the adapter, the setup is multiplied. Some of these things I purchased less because I had anabsolute need at the time, but because they were so cheap it was foolish not to.

So, then we get to some reasons why these lenses (especially) are so cheap. I don't think it is because the system wasn't popular here in the U.S. at least and Japan (seemingly always Pentax's principal market, either financially or otherwise). I do think that the film bodies' lack of interchangeable backs kept the system from being a leader in the film era, but they weren't necessarily far distant, and IIRC the lenses were always reasonable---this was true of the ones for 35mm, back in the first, pre-ebay, golden era of used camera gear in the latter '70's through the 80's. Pentax was always considered great value.

So, I think it's a combo of factors that put us where we are today. I'll add that there are seemingly a lot of Pentax lenses available, and they do seem to sell---I have missed opportunities by waiting. This suggests a lot were manufactured.
07-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update on lens acquisition

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
At this point I'll chime in. I, like Ivanvernon, have a very nice group of Pentax lenses for my Z, some holdovers from my 645N, and most that I bought subsequently at great prices here at this site, at KEH, and randomly here and there: A 35, a 45 I sold, A rare Hartblei 45 shift I got here, the FA 45-85, the DFA 55 purchased used, the standard FA 75 and the 75 LS, the FA 80-160, the A120, the 135LS, the FA 150, FA 200, and just now the A* 300, plus the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters, the 645-K adapter. Used to have one of the 67 lenses and an adapter. Probably all of it I got for under $4K. To me, that's remarkable, and it's also what made getting the Z feasible----no other medium format option in digital was going to be this comprehensive and "affordable". Since I got my Z body new for $5,500.00 after trade-ins, this whole setup has set me back under $10K. Just incredible. And now with my K-1 as alternate camera and the adapter, the setup is multiplied. Some of these things I purchased less because I had anabsolute need at the time, but because they were so cheap it was foolish not to.

So, then we get to some reasons why these lenses (especially) are so cheap. I don't think it is because the system wasn't popular here in the U.S. at least and Japan (seemingly always Pentax's principal market, either financially or otherwise). I do think that the film bodies' lack of interchangeable backs kept the system from being a leader in the film era, but they weren't necessarily far distant, and IIRC the lenses were always reasonable---this was true of the ones for 35mm, back in the first, pre-ebay, golden era of used camera gear in the latter '70's through the 80's. Pentax was always considered great value.

So, I think it's a combo of factors that put us where we are today. I'll add that there are seemingly a lot of Pentax lenses available, and they do seem to sell---I have missed opportunities by waiting. This suggests a lot were manufactured.
-------------------------
When I got home today and fired up the computer, I found that my offer has been accepted for a like-new Pentax 645D (384 shutter snaps) plus four FA lenses (45, 75, 120 macro, and 80-160 zoom). I also have A versions for those four lenses, so after checking out both A and FA versions of each lens, some may be going up for sale. With the FA 645 300mm f 4.0 also en route, I should be pretty well set for glass.
08-01-2017, 02:30 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found a used Hartblei t/s 45mm with Pentax 645 mount (plus Canon adapter!)....not the sharpest 'knife-in-the-box' at the edges , but still does a good job for stitched panos, and off-centre 'toy-town' style images......also found a 67 165LS with 645 Photodiox adapter , which is an astonishingly good lens.....both fully manual of course, and need to be stopped down to F11-16 for the best results, but at ISO 800 or 1600 on the Z, still produce very good images.

08-01-2017, 05:42 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking for reasonably priced 645 35mm

Looks like $400 is pretty well the minimum for the 35mm/A, but then I spotted a 35mm/FA for only a couple hundred dollars more. I am continuing to watch for a nice A version since I almost always focus manually, but could be tempted by a reasonably priced FA. Any thoughts?
08-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree the 645 system is currently a bargain. I recently picked up a (well) used 645Z with DFA35/3.5, DFA55/2.8, FA75/2.8, A120/4.0 macro and FA150/2.8. The package was a very good deal indeed to my eyes; even if the Z might be nearing the end of its shutter longevity, I basically paid the value of the lenses.
08-01-2017, 06:23 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I agree the 645 system is currently a bargain. I recently picked up a (well) used 645Z with DFA35/3.5, DFA55/2.8, FA75/2.8, A120/4.0 macro and FA150/2.8. The package was a very good deal indeed to my eyes; even if the Z might be nearing the end of its shutter longevity, I basically paid the value of the lenses.
Totally agree. My 645D only had 674 clicks, and included FA 45, FA75, FA 120, and FA 80-160--the entire kit including lenses for about the usual price of the lenses. By selling the FA lenses at current used prices the 645D price residual would be only around $500-1,000 U.S. Buying the right D or Z kit with lenses for the right price looks like a winning stagegy. You can potentially upgrade your lens collection and sell off newly acquired or newly replaced lenses to help finance the camera purchase. Once I have the 645D/medium format system learning curve underway, I am sure I will be looking for a Z deal like the one you got. However, I want to learn and savor the 645D's CCD image quality and rendering magic for a while before I let myself become overwhelmed by all the 645Z CMOS features!