Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2015, 04:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax 645 used lens prices

Scanning e-bay and is surprised at the low prices for older Pentax 645 system lenses. Sure, the body is expensive but a set of quality lenses can still be had for very little money; eg 120 Macro for $200; the 150mm for little over $100 and $800 for the 150-300 zoom lens. I had expected used lens prices to soar now that the 645z is out and successful.
Will this continue?

05-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Scanning e-bay and is surprised at the low prices for older Pentax 645 system lenses. Sure, the body is expensive but a set of quality lenses can still be had for very little money; eg 120 Macro for $200; the 150mm for little over $100 and $800 for the 150-300 zoom lens. I had expected used lens prices to soar now that the 645z is out and successful.
Will this continue?
Judging by the prices you listed, those are the starting auction prices... for the manual A versions. The FA120 macro and FA150 f/2.8 are both around ~$800 each, which still a fairly good price even compared quality lenses for 35mm systems.
05-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't expect old lens prices to go up by that much, even for K mount lenses when the FF comes out. Old Pentax lenses have always been desirable and they will continue being so, but I doubt they would ever exceed the price of a modern counterpart except in very rare circumstances.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The low prices for these older lenses was what made my purchase of a Z possible--even my 3 FA's were cheap. All are performing beautifully. I would have had to pass on the camera, and been very neurotic about it, if I had not already had several 645 lenses from my 645N and the ability to score some unbelievable deals on lenses. I have the most full complement of lenses I've ever had with any system, going back to my start in the '70's.

05-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #5

Will this continue?
They are much higher now, now that the Z is out. When I bought the 645D, you could buy tons of lens at any quality rating at KEH for little to nothing. A few hundred apiece. Not the case now.
05-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Will this continue?
I was quite late to the P645 and acquired 2 645 bodies, 8 lenses, and many accessories just in the last couple of years for film purposes. I accelerated buying into the system after the 645Z was announced because I thought used lenses would naturally be sought after and prices would increase due to the usual Pentax backwards compatibility we all love. Another motive has been that since I personally don`t see much need for autofocus in that format, the manual lenses would also remain in use when the Z drops in price as a future clearance or used item and I can eventually buy one. I remain a little surprised at reasonable and lower prices remaining for most lenses except A35 f/3.5.
05-03-2015, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I don't have a "D" or a "Z" but I got a film 645 a few years ago and I love it. Luckily, I got my three-prime setup (55mm, 75mm, 150mm) before the Z came out. I don't think the D drove up prices too much as it wasn't very popular, but the Z is much more desireable and I think it's had a much greater effect on lens prices. However, as with any other system, manual focus is still something that only a few people are interested in, so the price rises have been mostly in AF lenses.
05-04-2015, 02:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I don't have a "D" or a "Z" but I got a film 645 a few years ago and I love it. Luckily, I got my three-prime setup (55mm, 75mm, 150mm) before the Z came out. I don't think the D drove up prices too much as it wasn't very popular, but the Z is much more desireable and I think it's had a much greater effect on lens prices. However, as with any other system, manual focus is still something that only a few people are interested in, so the price rises have been mostly in AF lenses.
You are right, it is really only the manual focus lenses I`m interested in that have the best prices. FA lenses don`t seem to be much of a deal at all. If and when I can acquire a Z I still see myself using mostly manual focus especially for that format. I really don`t use autofocus much on my K20D now, mostly using K and M lenses.

05-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i too do not believe there will be any significant change in going rate of these older lenses, but they could be a little harder to find. How great that a complete bag of excellent A lenses can be had for $1,000 or less.
05-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I started buying mine from KEH in 2010, the prices are still good but, they have fewer in stock now.
05-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Scanning e-bay and is surprised at the low prices for older Pentax 645 system lenses. ...eg 120 Macro for $200...
i paid $325 for that lens, so if you are quoting a final auction price, that is very good indeed!
05-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter

With a little patience and looking around locally you can still find good deals. I bought the FA 45-85, FA 85-160 and the A 35/3.5 for € 1100,-- in Belgium. And I just bought the A 150/3.5 for € 175,- here in The Netherland which doesn't sound so good compared to the Japanese sellars. But if you count up mailing costs, Tax and Import dutys it is good and the lens will be here in a day. I bought the FA 55/2.8, like new from Australia for € 620,-- No import dutys! And I bought a perfect A 75/2.8 Leaf Shutter lens in France for € 175,-- The only problem is to rattle up the amount for the PentaxZ :-) Bit more patience.....
05-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #13

I bought all of my used lenses from Japan (to the US) and there seems to be no duty assessed here even on the new DFA 645 90 macro at the 35% off US prices for a brand new lens.

All others were A or FA lenses and they came as decsribed or even better in some cases. Most prices fell between $400 to $800 with FA lenses. That included the FA 300/5.6. I wanted the FA 150/2.8 for portraiture, etc, but my A 35 is terrific for even street shooting. Set the zone focus and go for it.

I found most of the Japanese sellers set their prices on a Buy it Now basis.