Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
645Z Manual Focus Issue - Is It Just My Camera?

Has anybody else noticed that, with a manual focus lens, or an auto-focus lens in manual mode, that the camera can be fired even if focus has not been obtained? This, even with C-3, #15, AF.S Setting is set to Focus-Priority in the menus, and on page R-40 it says "The shutter is not released until the subject is in focus."

05-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I might be wrong, but I believe that this setting only apply for AF.
What I think you are looking for is called "catch in focus" on K-mount camera, and would most likely be called tge same 645z.
But I do not know if CIF is available on 645z.
05-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I might be wrong, but I believe that this setting only apply for AF.
What I think you are looking for is called "catch in focus" on K-mount camera, and would most likely be called tge same 645z.
But I do not know if CIF is available on 645z.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, CIF is what I'm trying to achieve. I believe CIF was a menu item added to the menus starting with the K20D, but it is not a menu item on the 645Z. My K10D and *istD do not have a CIF menu item, yet, they each do not fire the shutter when a manual focus lens is used and focus has not been obtained. I am trying to determine if this behavior is the same on all 645Zs, or just mine (which would imply I need to send it in for repair).
05-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My K7 fires the shot immediately, no matter how focus is set in AF-S with a manual focus lens. With CIF enabled t only fires if in focus.

05-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
My K7 fires the shot immediately, no matter how focus is set in AF-S with a manual focus lens. With CIF enabled t only fires if in focus.
While not on topic, your statement indicates your K-7 is operating as it, and many other Pentax camera models, normally operate. Indeed, my K10D has no CIF option either, and will not fire until focus is achieved with a manual focus lens, in AF.S mode.

So, does anyone out there with a 645Z know if their camera fires in manual focus mode when the scene is out of focus, in AF.S mode?
05-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

Yep, mine fires. My menu setting for C-3, #15, AF.S Setting is set to Focus-Priority and I was on manual focus set to out of focus on my FA lens.

I have the latest firmware.
05-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by the_ether Quote
Yep, mine fires. My menu setting for C-3, #15, AF.S Setting is set to Focus-Priority and I was on manual focus set to out of focus on my FA lens.

I have the latest firmware.
Thank you for the confirmation. Glad my camera isn't unique. Now, I wish they would fix that in a firmware update.

05-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

all my cameras fire when not in focus when af is turned off.