Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #31
Site Supporter

we all have our different likes but for me, if I can't carry the Z - usually because of weight, I carry an Olympus m4/3s set-up. The image quality is good enough for my purposes and the weight reduction, simply heaven. If image quality is that important and in the right place, then its the Z - period, somehow. Sometimes you just don't want to be sticking a Z in somebodies face for that street shot. Or even taking it out of the bag on some streets.

05-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #32

This is maybe not a "system", but I find the Sony RX1 very easy to use. As far as leaving anythiung in the car, from my experience that is just too tempying for most would be thieves.
05-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OP take very nice picture regardless of what camera he uses.... so I say any camera you like.

but in order to reuse lenses from 645, Sony A series and the Pentax FF seem like a good choice.
05-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
we all have our different likes but for me, if I can't carry the Z - usually because of weight, I carry an Olympus m4/3s set-up. The image quality is good enough for my purposes and the weight reduction, simply heaven. If image quality is that important and in the right place, then its the Z - period, somehow. Sometimes you just don't want to be sticking a Z in somebodies face for that street shot. Or even taking it out of the bag on some streets.

I take my 645Z with me everywhere, to work , on a trip to the mother in laws place, camping.. everywhere. And as handy as that is to have such a brilliant setup on call all the time it is much a Burdon at times, and you are right .. sometimes its not ideal to pull that camera out. I have looked at a few of the Olympus OMD's but get confused at what is what. They seem to have a good wrap on line and a few inspiring shooters I know tend to only use the Olympus M4/3s cameras.

---------- Post added 05-15-15 at 09:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
This is maybe not a "system", but I find the Sony RX1 very easy to use. As far as leaving anythiung in the car, from my experience that is just too tempying for most would be thieves.

I guess it depends where you live, I never leave my 645Z in my car, that would be asking for trouble... But this back up camera I may. I live in a regional area.. crime rates are very low where I live... Depends on how much money gets thrown at this Back up system too. I don't want to invest into two whole systems of glass. That's why the Fuji X100t is looking good!

---------- Post added 05-15-15 at 09:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
OP take very nice picture regardless of what camera he uses.... so I say any camera you like.

but in order to reuse lenses from 645, Sony A series and the Pentax FF seem like a good choice.

That's it mate, its easy to get caught up in gear. The end of the day Image quality is important, but so is functionality and feel. I could just use my iphone!

Last edited by Thomasbrowphoto; 05-21-2015 at 04:11 PM.
05-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #35
Site Supporter

and your mother in law doesn't look at you funny when you bring the Z into the house, arm wrapped around it lovingly … I use the OMDs - just picked up an EM5II to go with earlier models. The hi-res mode was interesting - a few more artifacts than I would want but I haven't actually printed anything from it in that mode yet. Nice and extremely quiet, very good AF on slower moving subjects, great stabilization. I can put it and a few lenses in a small bag and be off on a walk. Sometimes, that is a good thing.
05-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #36

I suggested the K3 earlier, but Sony's A7 series is even a better match. The body is small and lightweight, it's a full-frame sensor (means you'll have little crop), and you have a similar tonal range as the Z. Seems like the ideal back-up.

The K-3 retains some electronic connectivity though as far as I remember.
05-17-2015, 06:00 AM   #37

I have an Olympus EM-1, the files just don't put up with much processing, in particular noise reduction when you need to do any, turn to mush in a big hurry. If you want an Olympus m4/3 buy mine!!!
05-18-2015, 06:10 AM   #38
Site Supporter

I have a problem with OMD noise in monochromatic areas. However, that is usually selectable and I am able to deal with it. I am aware of my cameras' limitations.

05-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I ended up getting as new Fuji X100t for a good price second hand. So far so good... I have been spending the last couple days with it, getting familiar with its functions and layout. Whilst it is certainly no replacement to the 645Z it will definitely be a good everyday carry around, and fits in my Jacket Pocket :-)

Thanks for all the input guys.
05-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #40
KGH

Photos: Gallery
I recently bought a k-01 for a backup to my 645d. It also dies great video, which the D does not include. Happy so far.
05-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #41

Upped my game from a K10D to the K3. Batteries are interchangeable, which is nice.