Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Back up System to your 645D/Z whats every one using?

Hi all,

Im at that stage where i'm looking for a small light weight back up camera to have on me rather than lugging the 645Z around clocking up shutter actuations on potentially whatever type shots.

The Sony A7 and A7r is definitely tempting. I like the idea of the size of these mirror-less cameras and the files they produce. Im not really looking at getting into a dslr kit again. Although a D750 and that 14-24mm would be nice!

Ideally I shoot landscapes and street photography, and the ability to go wider than the DA25mm (19mm) would be a bonus.

let me know what you guys are using for your every day carry around / back up camera.

Many Thanks, Tom

05-10-2015, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
my K5 rig for routine stuff and long tele and astro shooting. I have my eye on replacing that with the K3 II now.
05-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm using the A7R and it's a good alternative as the files behave not too dissimilar to the files from the Z
05-11-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
my K5 rig for routine stuff and long tele and astro shooting. I have my eye on replacing that with the K3 II now.

Nice one mike, yeah the K3 11 looks like a great camera.

---------- Post added 05-11-15 at 06:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I'm using the A7R and it's a good alternative as the files behave not too dissimilar to the files from the Z
Do you adapt any Pentax 645 glass to the sony? Im seriously considering the A7r just so I can throw a 14mm on it, and potentially use my Manual 645 lenses for everything else via an adaptor.
Thanks, Tom

05-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A7R for me also. It was not intended to be a backup cam---I had no idea the 645Z was coming when i got it. I also have a Rhinocam for Pentax mount, so I can use my 645 lenses on it with my A7R, although I haven't tried it yet.
05-11-2015, 04:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Seriously though, what lenses are you going to get for the K3 that are really up to standard in the wide angle view.

There is nothing, at least not anything good. Sure you can get a Samyang 10mm f2.8, but if going down that path there are plenty of other options.

I have thought tirelessly about getting a K3 and I just haven't been able to do it due to the lenses.

At this point I am looking towards the next A99 replacement and the new 16-35mm SSM II lens or the A7ii with FE16-35.
05-11-2015, 04:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Seriously though, what lenses are you going to get for the K3 that are really up to standard in the wide angle view.

There is nothing, at least not anything good. Sure you can get a Samyang 10mm f2.8, but if going down that path there are plenty of other options.

I have thought tirelessly about getting a K3 and I just haven't been able to do it due to the lenses.

At this point I am looking towards the next A99 replacement and the new 16-35mm SSM II lens or the A7ii with FE16-35.

Exactly my thoughts on the k3. I like the idea of keeping it all pentax (inc batteries), and no doubt its a great camera.. but at this stage the Sony's are more appealing to me even the sony a6000 crop camera looks good. Maybe the pentax FF 35mm will offer up something more appealing?

05-11-2015, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I'm just starting to use my A7R in anger. I have an inexpensive Nikon G adaptor. It gets difficult at low light or with big stoppers, but I found focussing and then putting the camera into MF did the trick. this is one of the images I took with it yesterday.

05-11-2015, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
Hi all,

Im at that stage where i'm looking for a small light weight back up camera to have on me rather than lugging the 645Z around clocking up shutter actuations on potentially whatever type shots.

The Sony A7 and A7r is definitely tempting. I like the idea of the size of these mirror-less cameras and the files they produce. Im not really looking at getting into a dslr kit again. Although a D750 and that 14-24mm would be nice!

Ideally I shoot landscapes and street photography, and the ability to go wider than the DA25mm (19mm) would be a bonus.

let me know what you guys are using for your every day carry around / back up camera.

Many Thanks, Tom

Sort of a hard decision. If you want something with you "all the time" you might want to consider an A7 or A6000. With the Sony f1.8 35MM oss lens is a good camera, and you can use the camera in vertical pano mode to get a wider shot without having to buy more glass. That would be less than $1000. I have that as a back up to the K3. While the camera fits all my old pentax glass, I do miss the autofocus, so the Sony glass ends up on there most of the time. It's a very compact set up, almost but not quite pocketable.

The other alternative would be the K3ii, with something like a 16-50mm. However, if you are going to go that big (size wise), I might wait for the FF and add a FA 20-35mm where you won't be compromising quality. The Sony FF is a good alternative, but I love my Pentax glass, so will wait for the Full Frame if it's not too expensive. With the K3 size camera, I can put all the 3 FA limiteds in a small bag I can carry most of the time.

Like I say, not an easy decision when you are hooked on the quality of the 645Z. Understand that.
05-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #10

Any true back up system, though too expensive for me, is the same sensor in a second 645Z. Let's see if Sony comes out with an A7X with a sensor in the 45-55 MP range. If so, then we have a less expensive backup. For the time being it seems that Sony processes images taken with A7 series cameras too much, Hope they get with it and offer an uncompressed DNG option on a new model.
05-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
CDW
Site Supporter

I usually only go out with my 645z on pre-planned shoots. With or without it, I carry a Panasonic GH4 because I shoot video as well as stills and arguably, the GH4 video capability is superior to just about anything short of a dedicated, expensive pro cam corder. It also records 4K internally whereas the SONY A7s requires an external recorder.
With adapters I can use my Pentax K and 645 lenses, and many others, with the GH4.
05-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
Any true back up system, though too expensive for me, is the same sensor in a second 645Z. Let's see if Sony comes out with an A7X with a sensor in the 45-55 MP range. If so, then we have a less expensive backup. For the time being it seems that Sony processes images taken with A7 series cameras too much, Hope they get with it and offer an uncompressed DNG option on a new model.
Yes I agree, but I can't justified me owning two of these glorious camera's. Im more talking small body/small camera back up options. I have heard that the sony files are not "raw"... either way people seem to make them work very well. The a7r has been out for a good while now... its updated version surely must be due to drop soon.

Tom

---------- Post added 05-12-15 at 08:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I usually only go out with my 645z on pre-planned shoots. With or without it, I carry a Panasonic GH4 because I shoot video as well as stills and arguably, the GH4 video capability is superior to just about anything short of a dedicated, expensive pro cam corder. It also records 4K internally whereas the SONY A7s requires an external recorder.
With adapters I can use my Pentax K and 645 lenses, and many others, with the GH4.
Thats what I want to be doing, I sold my whole dslr kit to fund my 645 Pentax kit, I love using it, but feel it deserves to be only taken out on pre planned shoots and things of importance. I make TV commercials for a living, and that GH4 is a brilliant video/stills camera. an option I haven't really explored.. but ill have a look into it. Thanks
05-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
Any true back up system, though too expensive for me, is the same sensor in a second 645Z.
or at least a 645D Tom. The price on a solid NOS or used D is right and you already have all the glass you'd need.

---------- Post added 05-11-2015 at 10:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
what's wrong with the lenses at the wide end? DA21, DA15, DA12-24, DA10-17, Sigma 10-20, Roki/Samy, etc?? I'm not finding the limitations there?
05-11-2015, 10:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 645Nii is my backup. Still a very, very capable camera and it uses the same lenses.
05-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
or at least a 645D Tom. The price on a solid NOS or used D is right and you already have all the glass you'd need.

---------- Post added 05-11-2015 at 10:45 PM ----------

what's wrong with the lenses at the wide end? DA21, DA15, DA12-24, DA10-17, Sigma 10-20, Roki/Samy, etc?? I'm not finding the limitations there?

The D would be a great camera/ any 645 would be a great back up, but I'm more looking for something smaller/less noticeable but still capable, something I can even leave in my car kind of camera.