Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Seems like you already have what you need in Canon glass for handheld portrait work. Are the 24-70, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, and 200/2 not cutting it for your work? You certainly won't be able to improve upon that for portability, AF, or shallow DOF by going the 645Z route. (Which you would of course know).

Not challenging your premise or your prerogative to do what you please, it just seems from your description up top that you already have a dream portrait setup and I'm curious what's prompting the potential change.

05-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #17

I'd agree with filoxophy.

If you were after enhanced tonal depth the 645z would indeed be the reason though. Or you could get a Nikon . I certainly wouldn't opt for the super-sharp 90, but rather for the much less expensive and much more portable 75, which is beautifully soft wide open.
05-15-2015, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hey guys

I was never intending on using the 645z for more than just location shots at weddings, but I just love the files from it so much and I think it will give me a real point of difference over my competition, who are all using pretty typical portrait orientated canon & nikon rigs.

So when I got the 645z it was really just as a 3rd body for the odd shot. Now that I've had a chance to use it, honestly my idea is to trim down my canon setup, and increase the 645z setup. But I do need that close up indoor portrait lens.

I'm still not decided on the gear thing but at the moment I'm thinking that adding a 2nd 645z, and then ending up with a gear of 1 x 1Dx for fast stuff (i.e. ceremonies, bride walking down aisle, dancing etc) and 2 x 645z's for everything else.

The files from the 645 are just so nice that it's really making my canon files look a bit flat in comparison. Nothing wrong with the canon gear obviously - the 1dx and canon lenses are beautiful - just the 645 is a step up in the right direction.
05-16-2015, 01:14 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
I generally tend to use the z for group shots and the couples portraits. I'd use it more but it's not quick enough for me. Great files and all but a great file is useless if the shot is missed. I love the 150 portrait lens but still, fall back and use the 85L at 1.8 as it still is a lens and look apart and a signature lens. Carrying two systems is impractical which is why I save the z for dedicated use.

I have all the z lenses other than the pricey zoom and macro which are lala land expensive imho and mainly use just the 35mm fa, 150mm fa and sometimes the 75mm fa too.

05-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Giles Quote
I have all the z lenses other than the pricey zoom and macro which are lala land expensive imho and mainly use just the 35mm fa, 150mm fa and sometimes the 75mm fa too.
I would say that it's just that the legacy glass that is really cheap due to the system effectively being dead for a long while, compare lens prices to any other medium format system and they are very competitive, even the 28-45mm and 90mm.

What is absurdly overpriced are the Leica S lenses - with a calculated average of $7000 per lens!
05-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Giles Quote
I generally tend to use the z for group shots and the couples portraits. I'd use it more but it's not quick enough for me. Great files and all but a great file is useless if the shot is missed. I love the 150 portrait lens but still, fall back and use the 85L at 1.8 as it still is a lens and look apart and a signature lens. Carrying two systems is impractical which is why I save the z for dedicated use.

Each to their own. I don't see a issue with having 2 systems - the canon system would probably only have 2 lenses.

I think the 645z is fast enough for general work, but for anything faster I have a 1Dx. I've used it at 2 weddings so far and found it plenty fast enough for things that I wouldn't want the fast slr. I've shot over 800 weddings so can read the day pretty well by now
05-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #22

The Z is as close to a perfect digital medium format camera as it gets. Having said that though, the Z is not what the 645, 645n, and nII were in film days. They really had the robustness and longevity to serve as mainstream bodies for wedding photography. The Z has very occasional but catastrophic failures, making it advisable to carry a second body, e.g. a D, another Z, a 35mm, or even a m43.

I have found that the tonal range of the Z is very pleasing for me as a photographer. However, not all brides will appreciate the acuity of the system's sharper lenses. e.g. the 90, the 120, or the 28-45. In this respect I admire the designer(s) of the 150mm or the 75mm for that matter, who either weren't able to design sharper lenses at wide apertures or knowingly accepted just a little bit of softness as long as the diaphragm was open wide, and the lenses were perfectly sharp at F/11. BTW - I forgot to mention the 120mm Imagon and the 120mm P67 Soft as possible additional alternatives to use for weddings. These are very soft when used at full softness settings, and acceptable somewhere in the middle. They have the 120mm focal length, which is very nice to use indoors. The Pentax opens at F/3.5, which may be just enough considering the extreme range of sensitivity of the Z.

I must warn you of the 90. I got one, and have used it occasionally with great success, but it is a highly specialized lens and so sharp that most of the people you'll photograph at weddings will not like it, even though you may be very pleased with the image... It is also huge, more so than what you want to carry along at a wedding.

As I said, I agree with filoxophie on his/her remark that 35mm digital systems may be better tools for the mainstay of wedding photography. I must confess I just got a D810 because of the wide dynamic range and the possibility of using long telephoto lenses in autofocus. I thought Canon would never catch up and develop better sensors. Well, looks like they finally are catching up and the next 1D might have one of these wide dynamic range sensors. As commonly agreed upon, Canon provides a broader range in some key focal lengths, and I can hardly imagine a better lens for bridal photography than the 85mm F/1.2. Perhaps with the exception of the 110mm F/2 Planar that I am using on my Hy6.

Finally, as much as I admire the 645Z body, I am greatly at odds with Ricoh's lens development strategy. It almost feels like it has been written by engineers and not by photographers. In opposite to the Z. Well, I can understand that they wanted to have a zoom range. The 28-45 still makes somewhat sense as it covers a broad range of usable wide angle focal lengths, but it is also huge. Unfortunately, they discontinued the 25, which I thought was one of the marvels of the new system, and came up with the 90, which I have little use for except when I need the resolution. IMHO Leica has done better. They have fairly compact and extremely sharp primes in all the right focal lengths. In fact, I also liked the lens range of the film Pentax 645 system. It would be nice if Ricoh could learn from them and offer some similar lenses at a slightly reduced price.

Last edited by Lacunapratum; 05-16-2015 at 08:01 PM.
05-17-2015, 01:38 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Lacunapratum Quote
The Z is as close to a perfect digital medium format camera as it gets. The Z has very occasional but catastrophic failures, making it advisable to carry a second body, e.g. a D, another Z, a 35mm, or even a m43.
I experience this also. The main issue I have right now is that the af lenses stop autofocusing and this is corrected by wiggling the lens in the mount. As if it's not making a sound contact to the pins.

The slower af in low light and noisier shutter means I can't use it as much as I'd like to at weddings. If you want to use a zoom you're going to be hindering the af with a maximum aperture of 4.5 - Whilst still very good as a camera in the pragmatic sense these issues mean I lean back towards my 35mm setup (1dx and 5d3)

In addition to this, the buffer lock out and response time all collectively pull the system down.

Yet couple shoots and portrait sessions I'm 100% 645z

Last edited by Chris Giles; 05-17-2015 at 07:56 AM.
05-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #24

Like others said before, the 105 (never owned one myself though) and/or the 75 (for torso portraits) are gavincato's best options. The 45mm 645 has a similar rendering fashion, possibly an option for small groups. You keep on using the nice sensor of the Z while those lenses don't have the biting sharpness of some of the newer options when used wide open.
05-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hey guys

thanks, i really appreciate everyone trying to help & give advice

A few things. I've no doubt the 75/2.8 is a nice lens but it's pretty close to my existing 55. The 90 does seem to be a nice fit right in the middle of my 55 and 150. Yeah it's a lot of money, and is overly sharp but I don't mind if the pic is too sharp.

For example I currently routinely use the canon 100mm macro for real closeup bridal shots and that lens is just staggeringly sharp. No problem, lightroom is great & very quick at skin smoothing. A great effect is smoothing the skin and leaving the eyes & lashes alone, it's quite a striking look. I think I have sold myself on the 90.

Regarding using a 645z for weddings. I think I need to clarify a bit - I never meant to imply that I would use it for anything that actually moves, but I intend to use it as much as I can. The quality this thing produces is just too good to leave in the bag. I have a pair of 1Dx's for anything such as candids, ceremony, walking up down aisle etc. - they are great cameras and I can use them blindfolded but they don't hold a candle to the 645z IQ wise. I can imagine the 645z being used for all the detail shots, all the bridal portrait/group shots, some ceremony shots, near all the location shoot and probably put in the bag at the reception.

Regarding 645z reliability, that's why I'll get 2. I can't imagine both dying in one day and if they do, well I have the canon setup.

The 90mm macro is heavy & expensive but I'm not one of those wedding shooters who goes light. I use a huge thinktank logistics manager bag with 2-3 bodies and 6-7 lenses at a typical wedding. I regularly use a 200 f2 and have even experimented with a 300/2.8 before I'm a bit crazy with gear. It is obviously overkill for weddings but booking 60'ish weddings a year I'm doing something right

I do agree that the pentax lens selection is a bit strange. Coming from Canon, you pretty much have access to every focal length you want. In pentax land you have to think about it a bit more carefully. I think ending up with a 645z kit with a 35/3.5, 55/2.8, 90/2.8, 120/4 and 150/2.8 will be pretty comprehensive. The 120/4 would hardly ever get used - just for closeup detail shots. Great lens but I have the old MF one so I wouldn't use it for much else.

35mm might be the main stay of wedding photography, and thats exactly why I want to get MF for it. To be a bit different to the crowd. The bride might not know specifically I'm using medium format, but I would hope she'll see a higher level of pic quality from me when comparing me to other photogs.

cheers

Gav
05-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #26

Well - there we are. Square one. And we already thought he wanted our thoughts. Bloody fools we were .
05-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lacunapratum Quote
Well - there we are. Square one. And we already thought he wanted our thoughts. Bloody fools we were .
sorry
05-18-2015, 01:58 AM   #28

I can't speak of the 90mm Macro but faced between the 120mm Pentax Macro and the Canon 100mm 2.8 one I default to the Canon every time. It's so speedy!
I would LOVE to try out the 90mm just to see what the fuss is about.
05-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll order one in about a fortnight. I'll post some shots when i do. cheers
05-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #30

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.