Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! Can't wait to get it. I should have the 110mm on monday and have organised a 90mm for the wednesday. shoot out to follow

06-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #47
Inactive Account

I have the 90 Macro and it is a wonderful lens. I have my first engagement shoot with this lens and the 28-45 zoom coming up next weekend.I'll have the Cannon stuff as backup.
06-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good luck Stan! I'm sure it'll be beautiful. I'll post some samples this wednesday when I play with one.
06-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got the 110mm. First impressions are very positive. Second impressions are "damn this is hard to use". The DoF is so razor thin at f2 it's hard to focus in live view let alone handheld but I'll get the hang of it eventually. How they used it in film days without a way to check focus is beyond me.

The camera has no idea of what aperture the lens is on but using live view it's pretty easy to dial in a good exposure.

First shot is f2 second shot is f8

I'll take some proper shots with it over the next week

06-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #50

Marvelous. The F2, of course. I just love that look. Everything about it. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It's much less convenient to use than the autofocus lenses, of course. In fact, you can fine focus at portrait distances by moving your body back and forth.

And you are correct - only a fraction of your shots will hit the mark, but it's digital, isn't it? I used that lens already during film years.

You can cheat a little bit by stopping down to F2.8 or somewhere in between F2 and F2.8. It's not for your everyday routine, of course. But it does the trick for the special portrait. At least for me.
06-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hey guys

I haven't had a chance to get into the city to try the 90mm yet & the blad hasn't been given a real workout as I'm in a bit of a winter gap between weddings at the moment.

Here are some snapshots of my kids though with the 110mm. I'm at the stage now where I'm pretty confident manually focussing it - the first few days my out of focus percentage was ridiculous.

The only annoying thing is there is a switch on the lens that toggles between aperture being set by the camera or the lens. On the 645z i need it set as the lens for it to work & meter on the 645z, but the switch is very easy to bump and has caught me out a few times. I'm seriously thinking of taping it tight even though it'd look a bit silly.

The first shot is f4 the rest are f2

06-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #52

Hi, Gavin, Great photos! The first one f4 is amazing. I just started to search hasselblad 110mm on ebay.com ....
06-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #53

... there you are. Even at F4 it's still awsome. The other three are nice, too, and would have had struggled with any other lens.

For me, this lens is one of the reasons I still keep my Rolleiflex Hy6 system. This and the 180 and the 300 and the Curtagon and the 150mm Apo-Symmar. And the leaf shutter lenses. The 180mm/F2.8 Tele-Xenar is equally nice for protraits, not for tight spaces, obviously, but otherwise. I am right now trying to hack one on my Pentax, but it's not the real thing, obviously.

Anyway, the 110mm/F2 Planar is one of the all-time greats for portrait photography, and I'd have a hard time replacing mine with anything modern.

Thank you for listening.

Tom

06-26-2015, 02:35 AM   #54
Site Supporter

Original Poster
used it on my first real shoot today. A wedding engagement shoot.

To say I'm happy with the lens is an understatement. Can't wait to use it at a wedding.

07-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #55

Awsome. Great shot. I am sure your clients love it! And great choice of B&W. In fact one of the nicest portraits I have seen on this site!
07-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hey Tom if you look here this is that same couple ;

Erin & Sam’s wedding at Oatlands House

Pretty much every shot after the ceremony until the start of reception was with the 110mm. Loving it.
07-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #57

Glad you do, Gavin. Your images are all poetry. It is so difficult to capture that special feeling of that moment, and yet you did.

You don't get all keepers with this lens, but that's also not what it is about. You can do that with 35mm. This lens captures special moments in a way that's hard to mimic. As I said, it's great for those couple portraits as they fill the frame and don't force you to go to close. I especially like your shots against the light - that little flar adds to the dreaminess of the atmosphere.

Tom
07-13-2015, 04:24 AM   #58
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Tom I'm working my butt off at the moment to become one of the better guys in Australia. There is still some stiff competition