Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by aeros Quote
I'm relatively new to C1 and although for me it's a steep learning curve, I have no experience with LR and so offer no opinions. I have watched a user in France do some amazing things in LR, that said, I just happened to land on the C1 square. I am very pleased with it even though its very deep, comprehensive and challenging. At the end of the day I'm just more pleased with the look of my 645Z files RAW edited in C1.. I'm very pleased to be able to continue to work with my DNG files as C1 will not even look at PEF.

I know this for a fact....I have never cognitively chosen to save files as PEF or burn them to disc. Logic alone would dictate that they didn't get in my archive as PEF by themselves, so I'm at a loss to understand it and what mistakes were made. Lastly, my thanks for all the help I got here.
You are probably referring to Serge Ramelli. His work is pretty intense, very saturated and contrasty, but I confess I like some of it.

I have used Aperture for many years until Apple dropped all support for it. I've also used C1 a lot, since it came with my Phase system. I found it's DAM capabilities limited (even in version 8) and roundtripping from PS is tedious. It is probably great for tethered shooting and perhaps the only RAW developer that allows for layers. They also claim their conversions are sharper than others but I suspect that is because in the default mode they are applying some sharpening, if you set everything to 'as shot', their version is no sharper than Photoshop or Aperture or LR. I also found it incompatible with OnOne software files and that was a big problem for me, since I often use filters like Nik, OnOne and MacPhun.

So, reluctantly, I moved to Lightroom and it is not that bad, the DAM options are still not as good as Aperture, but the developer is quite good with lots of flexibility. I hate the 'modular' approach of Lightroom (you have to keep jumping back and forth between various modules to get your job done). Having said that, it IS compatible with all the filters and allows easy roundtripping.

I think you will find that C1 is limited in many ways and not being the most popular, development and compatibility will always be an issue. It will not read Pentax .pef files, but will accept DNG conversions of the same, which is a huge limitation IMHO.

As said above, if you go into the 645z menu, you can enable saving the files in 'true' RAW format, i.e. PEF but remember, the files size increases by as much as 50%. I still prefer PEF though.

Pradeep

05-16-2015, 01:56 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
I would use pef, but default to dog (edit - stupid ipad) so I get the embedded profile appear in Lightroom. I hear the argument for editing but surely there are some differences in the file when it's a genuine dng raw vs a tiff converted to dng? I.e. White balance and the ability to reset to the original settings.

Last edited by Chris Giles; 05-16-2015 at 03:45 AM.
05-16-2015, 02:50 AM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Giles Quote
I would use pef, but default to dog so I get the embedded profile appear in Lightroom.
Dog? Surely the IQ would look a little "ruff"?!

Sorry, couldn't resist that

---------- Post added 05-16-2015 at 10:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Primus Quote
As said above, if you go into the 645z menu, you can enable saving the files in 'true' RAW format, i.e. PEF but remember, the files size increases by as much as 50%. I still prefer PEF though.

Pradeep
Most interesting... I didn't know that PEF files could be so much larger than DNG. I also thought that an in-camera DNG file was true RAW... Why are PEFs so (potentialy) large?