Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Sensor Gel Stick for 645z

Time to clean the sensor on this big baby. Does anybody use the Sensor Gel sticks from Eyelead? I have a Sony version for my A7R, is that the one I should be using? Or the other 'regular' one for non-Sony sensors. Any tips on how to get deep into the bowels of the beast?

Pradeep

05-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Primus Quote
Time to clean the sensor on this big baby. Does anybody use the Sensor Gel sticks from Eyelead? I have a Sony version for my A7R, is that the one I should be using? Or the other 'regular' one for non-Sony sensors. Any tips on how to get deep into the bowels of the beast?

Pradeep
I use the eyelead on my Sony A7 and Pentax K5 K-x I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work or cause problems

---------- Post added 05-16-15 at 05:34 PM ----------

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 05-16-2015 at 02:34 PM.
05-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I use the eyelead on my Sony A7 and Pentax K5 K-x I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work or cause problems

---------- Post added 05-16-15 at 05:34 PM ----------

What about the Pentax stick? Cleaning kit for sensor O-ICK1 - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.
05-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
hes got the eyelead they do the same thing so stick with eyelead

05-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
hes got the eyelead they do the same thing so stick with eyelead
Actually the problem is that I have two versions of the Eyelead stick, one for the Canon/Nikon/other sensors and the second which is specifically designed for Sony sensors like in the A7R. It is orange in color (as opposed to the blue one for the Canon) and on their website they say that Sony sensors have a 'different coating' which is why the stick is designed differently.

I don't know if the sensor in the 645z (which is also a Sony) is similar in coating to the one in the A7R, i.e if all Sony sensors are the same for the purpose of cleaning. Don't want to cause any damage. of course I can always use a 'wet cleaning' method, but I love the sensor gel process.

Pradeep

---------- Post added 05-17-15 at 08:18 AM ----------

I think I found my answer. The link to the Ricoh site shows the gel stick to be the orange one. It does say 'for all DSLR cameras', I am assuming it includes the 645Z. Do the K-series have a similar sensor?

It would have been nice to hear how others clean the sensors on the 645z though.

Pradeep
05-17-2015, 06:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Primus Quote
Actually the problem is that I have two versions of the Eyelead stick, one for the Canon/Nikon/other sensors and the second which is specifically designed for Sony sensors like in the A7R. It is orange in color (as opposed to the blue one for the Canon) and on their website they say that Sony sensors have a 'different coating' which is why the stick is designed differently.

I don't know if the sensor in the 645z (which is also a Sony) is similar in coating to the one in the A7R, i.e if all Sony sensors are the same for the purpose of cleaning. Don't want to cause any damage. of course I can always use a 'wet cleaning' method, but I love the sensor gel process.

Pradeep

---------- Post added 05-17-15 at 08:18 AM ----------

I think I found my answer. The link to the Ricoh site shows the gel stick to be the orange one. It does say 'for all DSLR cameras', I am assuming it includes the 645Z. Do the K-series have a similar sensor?

It would have been nice to hear how others clean the sensors on the 645z though.

Pradeep
I didn't realize that the Sony needs a special one. I guess it kind of makes sense, the one I have seems a bit more tacky when used on Sony.
05-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I used a air duster in selected positions....It worked well.

I was hesitant to use any physical contact to the sensor and opted for air. Interested to hear about the brushes.
05-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomasbrowphoto Quote
I used a air duster in selected positions....It worked well.

I was hesitant to use any physical contact to the sensor and opted for air. Interested to hear about the brushes.
sony has a very thick filter..pretty robust

05-22-2015, 03:56 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I use the normal blue one and it works fine on my 645z.
05-22-2015, 06:04 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've used the orange pentax one on my 645z as recommended on the paperwork that came with my camera (The offer of a free cleaning of it's sensor and a K3's if you have one said to use the pentax gel stick as an interim approach) . Seems to have worked very well so far.