Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #31

Recently upgraded to a 4790k system, over my old x58 rig. Clock speed means a lot more to photo stuff then anything else. Not alot of multicore going on, cpu cache also wouldn't impact I dare say.

06-25-2015, 10:24 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i did a custom build PC a couple years ago. it has:

Intel i-7 4770k 3.5GHz
32 GB RAM
Sabertooth Z87 motherboard
NVIDIA GTX650 graphics board
Dual wide screen monitors
256Gb SSD for boot & some programs
5 or 6 reasonably sized hard drives (1-5TB each)

i used a shopping trick to score everything for way less $. pm me for details if interested.

This rig handles my HDR panos with ease and is plenty fast.

and this case which is great:

Last edited by mikeSF; 06-25-2015 at 10:31 PM.
07-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #33

I used to build my own PC for years then gave up about 7 yrs ago and switched to the Mac.

My current rig is the 2013 'Trash Can' Mac Pro with the following:

6 core 3.5GHz Xeon CPUs,
64G RAM
1TB SSD internal drive
Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB RAM each

This is connected to multiple external Thunderbay enclosures from OWC housing a combination of various SSDs and regular HDs for storage.

i've clocked the Apple internal SSD with Speedtools' Quickbench at reading and writing at just about 1GB/sec

The system is super fast but as I'm sure many have discovered, the software struggles to keep up, the bottleneck in my case happens to be the lack of utilization by Adobe, OnOne and other software houses of the excellent hardware that is available now. When I bought my first computer in 1983 (the Commodore 64), the coders wrote tight, utilizing every little bit of RAM and CPU power they could. Now it is bloatware, no need to write for the cutting edge, it seems to be enough to just 'make it work'. I wish they would optimize the software so that it's efficiency improves with additional hardware, else what is the point of all these souped up machines other than for games (which I do not indulge in).

Pradeep
07-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #34

I use an older Mac Pro, 5.1 6 core, 32GB RAM, SSD boot, with OWC external ESATA backup RAID drives. Seems to drive my files OK even with 2GB stitched files. Sure I wait a bit from time to time, but I remember way back when where this type of work would need an IBM mainframe computer.

07-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
I use an older Mac Pro, 5.1 6 core, 32GB RAM, SSD boot, with OWC external ESATA backup RAID drives. Seems to drive my files OK even with 2GB stitched files. Sure I wait a bit from time to time, but I remember way back when where this type of work would need an IBM mainframe computer.
I had exactly the same setup until just over a year ago. And sadly there has not been much improvement in my workflow speed.

Yes, we have indeed come a long way, from my C-64 that had only 16K of RAM and no disk drives. However, the current programs do not really make use of all the hardware that is available. The only software I own that does this is a Blu Ray ripper called DVD Fab which does an amazing job. Otherwise, where photoshop etc are concerned, there is not really that much difference between my Macbook Pro with 8G RAM and my Mac Pro with 64G and all the other hardware in it.

I guess we are spoilt, but when technology is offered and you buy into it, you do expect it to deliver. Without the desire to progress we would still be living on trees.

Pradeep
07-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Primus Quote
Without the desire to progress we would still be living on trees.

Pradeep
Or in caves. Oh wait, my computer room is a man cave.
07-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
Or in caves. Oh wait, my computer room is a man cave.

07-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #38

i5-4690k, 16GB of DDR3-2133 CL9, R9 280 graphics, Dell P2715Q 4K IPS monitor, 256GB SSD+1TB WD Blue for local bulk storage+12TB RAID5 for external storage, with backups on BluRay or Glacier.

With memory faster than DDR3-1600 - don't forget to enable XMP in your BIOS! Most motherboards do not enable it out of the gate for compatibility reasons (some DIMMs don't support it) but the original DDR3 spec only goes up to 1600, so if you want to utilize 1866/2133/2400/etc you need to manually enable the setting.
07-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #39
mee
Veteran Member

Please remember that Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit only supports 16 GB of RAM maximum -- there is a soft lock on the maximum memory. If you want to use more, you will need Windows 7 Professional.

The max ram in Windows 8 Home is well above this (I think 128 GB iirc) so it is only an issue with Windows 7 and below.

I have 24GB of ram in my PC and it literally says "Installed Memory (RAM): 24 GB (16 GB usable)" Because I'm on Win 7 Home...

Most motherboards only support a max of either 16 or 32 GB (depending on the board) unless you go with a more 'server' oriented motherboard...

the modern i core processors (from 2nd generation 2500/2600 onwards) are muchhhh more powerful than the Q6600 or core2duo/core2quad processors from yesteryear. That said, the differences are within 10-15% from 2X00 to 4X00 series. The 5's supposedly give a bit more boost but the real change will be the ones after these -- the 6X00 (Skylake) series. Those use a different pin out (LGA 1151) and likely won't be seen for some time (today Intel announced they are pushing out the releases longer and there will be 3 series at 14nm since they are having trouble with them).

Long story short -- you are probably fine getting a 4X00 series (the 5's mostly give improvement to the onboard video) until the 6x000 series come out likely next year (some say as early as this August, other say next year -- its a month away might want to wait??)... and even then you won't be outdated. (the performance difference from my ancient i5 2500 to a comparable 4x000 processor is around 15%!)

Last edited by mee; 07-15-2015 at 07:37 PM.
07-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #40

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Please remember that Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit only supports 16 GB of RAM maximum -- there is a soft lock on the maximum memory. If you want to use more, you will need Windows 7 Professional.

The max ram in Windows 8 Home is well above this (I think 128 GB iirc) so it is only an issue with Windows 7 and below.

I have 24GB of ram in my PC and it literally says "Installed Memory (RAM): 24 GB (16 GB usable)" Because I'm on Win 7 Home...

Most motherboards only support a max of either 16 or 32 GB (depending on the board) unless you go with a more 'server' oriented motherboard...

the modern i core processors (from 2nd generation 2500/2600 onwards) are muchhhh more powerful than the Q6600 or core2duo/core2quad processors from yesteryear. That said, the differences are within 10-15% from 2X00 to 4X00 series. The 5's supposedly give a bit more boost but the real change will be the ones after these -- the 6X00 (Skylake) series. Those use a different pin out (LGA 1151) and likely won't be seen for some time (today Intel announced they are pushing out the releases longer and there will be 3 series at 14nm since they are having trouble with them).

Long story short -- you are probably fine getting a 4X00 series (the 5's mostly give improvement to the onboard video) until the 6x000 series come out likely next year (some say as early as this August, other say next year -- its a month away might want to wait??)... and even then you won't be outdated. (the performance difference from my ancient i5 2500 to a comparable 4x000 processor is around 15%!)
Can you link where you read about a delay? I have searched all over since you mentioned it and can't find it anywhere. I have been waiting for the release for a while. Sitting on x58 with a i7 920 and really need a rebuild to boost ram. Being an early adopter has left me in a headlock with being able to do anything with ram.
07-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #41
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SininStyle Quote
Can you link where you read about a delay? I have searched all over since you mentioned it and can't find it anywhere. I have been waiting for the release for a while. Sitting on x58 with a i7 920 and really need a rebuild to boost ram. Being an early adopter has left me in a headlock with being able to do anything with ram.

At this point it is pretty much rumor -- Supposedly the initial chip release is on 5th of August at Gamescom. But most don't expect all Skylake to be released then.. they will be tiered over several months.

Intel May Delay Skylake to Q4 - Barron's
Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC) Likely To Push The Launch Of Skylake To Q4 2015
07-18-2015, 07:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Not only that but 14nm has now been confirmed to be used for the next three hardware generations, and Intel is abandoning it usual tick-tock cycle, as it no longer makes sense with computer hardware at a standstill.

Unless a breakthrough in quantum physics comes around tomorrow, we may just be at the point where you can buy a computer without worrying about obsoletion, as any modern CPU today will last you a good 3~4 years, and we won't see any meaningful upgrades until 2020. At best you're looking at +10% performance per improvement in architecture.
07-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #43
mee
Veteran Member

Exactly. I now see there is only around a 10-15% gain over 4000 series processors by going to 6000 even. Very small increments at this stage.. The bigger increases seem to be with onboard GPU performance and power management. Great for smaller devices though. I think now our tic-tock isn't in cpu performance over generations but in performance in form factors. That is to say the tick is desktop CPUs getting a certain performance.. now the slow tock is Tablets and handhelds getting that certain performance. Just a miniaturization of what we already have.

To the point where I'm looking to buy a 4000 series now since I already have most of the components (just need the mobo and cpu) to do a handmedown swap and get ready for Windows 10 (going in 'early'... gulp!). Any of the modern i5 and i7s seem to be up to the task of keeping your camera processing going for many many many years. The bigger differences (outside of the two mentioned above) seem to be in improvements on the motherboard itself (USB versioning, RAM type/speed, Quad SLI, audio chipset, etc).
07-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #44

Intel i-7 4770k 3.5GHz
24 GB RAM (with Win 7 Professional)
ASUS Z97 mobo
Western Digital 10,000 rpm 300 GB Enterprise-grade for the system drive (an SSD drive failed on me after a year of use so I go with enterprise drives for the system drive which have never failed on me in the 20 years I have been using them and placing them in customers' machines).
Four Seagate 4 TB internal drives
Two Seagate 4 TB external drives
NVIDIA GTX770 graphics board 2GB DDR 5

Custom built and purchased in 2014, scheduled for replacement in 2017.
NEC PA322UHD monitor added this year.

Edit: Don't think I need quite this much machine for processing RAW files for still photos and I do not do a lot of batch processing. However, for video rendering, the machine as a whole greatly improved rendering times from the system I had previously had built.

Last edited by rfkiii; 07-18-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Just thought of something
07-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #45
Forum Member

I have two systems.... Portable which is a 2011 MacBook Pro Mid edition i7 w/16gigs of Ram and 480 SSD ... does what I need it to do on the go... for my home PC I use a Dell XPS 18-1810 i7 w/12gigs of ram 512 SSD and 256 mSata... for post work for pictures it does fine... no complaints... no issues with RAW files from my 645D or IQ140 ... both systems run two monitors... if I were to go new... I probably would get Lenovo Horizon 27" the first gen i7 which is upgradeable to 16gb and SSD w/mSata....

I don't do video... and I have crunched photos from an IQ280 with both my machines w/o much issue... the RAM and SSD are the key... Good Luck...