Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 02:32 AM   #1

Is the 645 usable with FA lenses?

There is an affordable used 645 available, which might be worth getting if I could use my FA lenses on it while I save the pennies for dedicated medium format lenses.

Can this be done and would the images be up to much?

I currently have a K7 which is on its second circuit board and will continue to get regular use until it can't be repaired any more. looked at doing a big print from an ISO 800 shot of a dusk scene the other day and the IQ wasn't there in the shadows. I mostly do nature (and mostly birds) with some portrait and performance shots but I'm very interested in the possibilities of medium format.

06-13-2015, 02:40 AM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FA lenses are designed for FF coverage. If an adapter was available, they would produce substantial vignetting on 645 format.
06-13-2015, 02:50 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
There is an affordable used 645 available, which might be worth getting if I could use my FA lenses on it while I save the pennies for dedicated medium format lenses.

Can this be done and would the images be up to much?

I currently have a K7 which is on its second circuit board and will continue to get regular use until it can't be repaired any more. looked at doing a big print from an ISO 800 shot of a dusk scene the other day and the IQ wasn't there in the shadows. I mostly do nature (and mostly birds) with some portrait and performance shots but I'm very interested in the possibilities of medium format.
Simple: no you can't.

For clarification for those who find this thread through a search, the 645 can be used with FA 645 lenses (in manual focus mode), but not K-mount FA lenses since those don't cover the medium format image circle.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-13-2015, 02:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
I thought there would be vignetting but was wondering if you could crop for a decent image.

Sounds like i'm waiting for the FF and maybe cutting loose on the K3ii in the meantime.

06-13-2015, 05:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
At best it would only be possible to focus on something very close putting a K-mount lens on a 645 camera.
645-mount use much longer register distance (distance between sensor and lens mount) so using a K-mount lens on a 645 camera would be like using a extension tube for the K-mount lens which make you loose ability to focus on longer focus distances.
06-13-2015, 06:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The manual focus A lenses for the 645 are inexpensive. Start with the 75mm or 100mm.