Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #1

issues with generic 645z DNG profiles

I had a strange issue today. Although all files look great in Lightroom, Bridge and Photoshop they behaved unexpected after loading them into a client's database. They were showing up as TIF files after ingestion even though they all have dng file extensions. My client was also noticing that the Pentax DNGs are also not holding correct image rotation when ingested. Portait files showed up as landscape...
Files from Canon cr.2 exported toDNGs were all displayed correct.

Converting the Pentax DNG files with the Adobe DNG converter solved this issue (tG) I opened the Adobe DNG and Pentax DNG with a text editor and found out that they have a totally different header. Bummer!

06-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps you need to update your version of Camera RAW?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I read your question over several times and am a little confused as to the nature of your problem. Are you saying that your client is having trouble with files generated by Lightroom as the product of export to DNG? If so, it is a Lightroom problem and not related to anything Pentax. Exported DNG are wholly generated by Lightroom and represent the raw data as parsed by ACR along with the processing metadata to allow other Adobe products to reproduce your PP actions. The camera profile should not affect this. If Adobe is able to do the import, the exported DNG should be valid regardless of the original camera type.

Steve
06-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I read your question over several times and am a little confused as to the nature of your problem. Are you saying that your client is having trouble with files generated by Lightroom as the product of export to DNG? If so, it is a Lightroom problem and not related to anything Pentax. Exported DNG are wholly generated by Lightroom and represent the raw data as parsed by ACR along with the processing metadata to allow other Adobe products to reproduce your PP actions. The camera profile should not affect this. If Adobe is able to do the import, the exported DNG should be valid regardless of the original camera type.

Steve
thanks all for your reply. 1st of all I forgot to mention that I run the latest version of LR CC, PS CC and AC 9.0. I assumed that to be given.

All files created by Adobe applications are fine in the client's database. The issues occur only with Pentax' genuine DNG files. Obviously the database expects some information in metadata which is embedded in DNG files created by Adobe but is not contained in DNG files out of camera.
Converting the Pentax DNG files with Adobe DNG converter solved the problem but it's a little bit strange to convert a DNG file to DNG again.

06-17-2015, 04:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clermond Quote
thanks all for your reply. 1st of all I forgot to mention that I run the latest version of LR CC, PS CC and AC 9.0. I assumed that to be given.

All files created by Adobe applications are fine in the client's database. The issues occur only with Pentax' genuine DNG files. Obviously the database expects some information in metadata which is embedded in DNG files created by Adobe but is not contained in DNG files out of camera.
Converting the Pentax DNG files with Adobe DNG converter solved the problem but it's a little bit strange to convert a DNG file to DNG again.
PSCC issued an upgrade to PSCC2015 yesterday with ACR 9.1....
06-18-2015, 03:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
PSCC issued an upgrade to PSCC2015 yesterday with ACR 9.1....
it has nothing to do with ACR version. It's the Pentax which writes different header into the files than Adobe. In my opinion Adobe should be standard

see this comparison of the same Pentax DNG file

06-18-2015, 05:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Well I'm using the same camera same DNG and not having the same problem. You could perhaps try being a little less blunt perhaps

Plus if you're not using CC2015 and ACR 9.1 you aren't using latest PSCC.
06-18-2015, 06:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
it was not my intention to be blunt. Funnily enough it's the same impression I have about your posting ;-)
Please accept my apologies maybe caused by being no native english.

I think there was a misreading in my concerns. There is no issue in Adobe applications. The issue occurred when a third party application as my client's database was referring to Adobe standard metadata.

Last edited by Clermond; 06-18-2015 at 06:33 AM.
06-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clermond Quote
it was not my intention to be blunt. Funnily enough it's the same impression I have about your posting ;-)
Please accept my apologies maybe caused by being no native english.

I think there was a misreading in my concerns. There is no issue in Adobe applications. The issue occurred when a third party application as my client's database was referring to Adobe standard metadata.

Fair enough apology accepted and mine offered also.