Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2015, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #1

Fotodiox Pro Adapter Hasselblad V to Pentax 645 (Pro HB-PT645) -A short review-

Fotodiox Pro Adapter Hasselblad V to Pentax 645 (Pro HB-PT645) -A short review-

Yesterday my Fotodiox adapter Hasselblad V lenses to Pentax 645 mount arrived *.
It was delivered in a neutral paper box printed with “Fotodiox lens mount adapter , Fotodiox Inc. , 3805 Hawthorn Ct Waukegan , Il 60087”. (no EAN ,no made in , no part No). The adapter was wrapped into a cellophane bag, a small velvet pouch was added. The adapter itself is also printed with a mark “ Fotodiox Pro HB-PT645” on his black painted surface. It weights 26.8 grams.
The lens release lever is simply made from punched and chromed sheet metal, screwed by one point on the adapter. The lens release lever overtops the adapter for 6mm- a solution which might be solved better (eg. like Novoflex adapters with a button which is not overtopping so high) .
The adapter is made mostly by aluminum which is black painted, some parts (some screws, lever) are made from chromed iron sheet material. The build quality is OK, on my sample I couldn´t find any scratching grooves etc., but I won´t name it well done or excellent. Measuring with an micrometer I could also not find differences in material thickness, but a micrometer is a coarse instrument .
The flange distance with with all my adapted Hasselblad lenses seems to be right. With focus confirmation and by eye view all my lenses could be focused to infinity** .
The adapter works on my 50mm CF IF, 100 CF, 180 CF, 350 FE . But a Vivitar [Kenko] MC converter 2x for Hasselblad [which is usable with "E" lenses] was not adaptable with this adapter. So I asked a friend to lend me a Komura Teleplus MC6 2x converter for Hasselblad [which you never should use with "E" lenses !] - this one works. Unfortunately I don´t know anybody who owns an original Zeiss Mutar 2x or Hasselblad XE 2x for renting it for a short test - it would be interesting if these converter would fit. For the future I have to live not using my converter - also without a 700mm/8.0 .
Adapted with the Fotodiox my Carl Zeiss CF and FE lenses for Hasselblad V are fitting tight but not tough, without any play on my Pentax 645N. With the adapter on the camera, Hasselblad lenses on a Pentax 645 camera can be used like on a Hasselblad F-camera. I have not to mention that there is no electronic connection between lens and camera, you have metering stop down, and in the display and in the (printed/electronic) metadata you´ll miss the f-stop.
Another negative point is the black surface painting, after "testing" the adapter for a few hours yesterday evening - the black surface paint was scratched off on some points. IMHO for the flanges chromed brass is the better material than black painted aluminum. In an analogue system it may be acceptable- but with a digital D or Z the paint flitters are a permanent "danger" for the sensor. For about 80€ and a "pro" named version these parts should be produced in brass or at least in eloxated aluminum - painting is IMHO a no go in this area. Its a chinese avarice which overtops scottish or swabian thriftiness. Even my old GDR made mounts for my former P6 system were made from eloxated material.

my Conclusion:
For 80 € I got an adapter which works and is spreading my lens resources on the Pentax 645N . But I cannot agree with offering this adapter as a "pro" version . For a pro version the lens release lever and the flanges to lens and camera should be modified. If Novoflex would offer these type of adapter (Hasselblad V to Pentax645) I would prefer the Novoflex build quality. If I may use in future a digital system, I would look for a bavarian alternative - the saving of time for cleaning a sensor will certainly overtop the addition expenses

* Background for my order is the “last order” offer for the 645D cameras in Germany. My Ricoh/Pentax dealer (which is also my Hasselblad dealer ) offered me a price for the package 645D+55mm which may be worth to be thought. And if I don´t take the offer, the spectrum of lenses for my 645N is spread up from 35 (Pentax A 645 35 mm /3.5) to 350mm (Tessar FE 350mm/4.0)

** using my analogue camera (Ptx645N) I can give the last confirmation after developing the test film. If I´ll notice some remarkable - I´ll add it here.

06-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I acquired one recently as well. It works well enough but the (relatively) flimsy quality worries me long term.

I only have one hasselblad lens so I've just left the adapter permanently mounted to it - hopefully this will minimise wear on the adapter
06-18-2015, 12:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks gavincato, "flimsy" this was the word which I looked for (as a non native speaker). Despite the painting problematic, I also doubt the single screwed lens release lever will work for a long time. I have a Novoflex Adapter Hasselblad to Nikon SLR which is build excellent - but it was 30 buck more expensive. For a "pro" labed item I expect this build quality. Even my east european adapter P6->Ptx 645 seems for me more reliable .
06-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might get a 2nd adapter and leave it in the bag as a brand new unopened item for the day my current one breaks.

06-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #5

That "pro" adapter sells for US$80 at B&H so for that amount I could figure it is not "pro" and your comments confirm as such.