Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2015, 01:00 AM   #1

Exposure Bracketing on 645Z

Hi

Is there a way to get the camera to use shutter speed instead of aperture when choosing exposure bracketing in manual mode?

Lasse

06-26-2015, 01:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No, you switch to aperture priority mode.

Since Av works based on the camera's metering, you have to set exposure with EV compensation.
06-26-2015, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lasse74 Quote
Hi

Is there a way to get the camera to use shutter speed instead of aperture when choosing exposure bracketing in manual mode?

Lasse
I believe it depends on how you set the function for the green button. (P Line, Av-shift or Tv-shift)
So if you want shutter speed bracketing you set the green button for Tv-shift.
Attached Images

06-26-2015, 06:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I believe it depends on how you set the function for the green button. (P Line, Av-shift or Tv-shift)
That's not what it's for... let's say you're photographing outdoors in the shade and have the camera set to f/4.5, 1/250th and ISO100, and then you go out into a sunlit area and suddenly f/4.5 is too bright. Now, you could look at the meter and adjust the aperture to match, but it's potentially much faster to hit the green button, that if set to Av shift, will automatically set the aperture to a value the meter thinks would be appropriate. For instance, if it gave you +1.7EV at f/4.5, then hitting the green button will give you f/8 and show 0.0EV because it's now at the correct exposure value, according to the meter. Same thing goes for Tv shift - it's basically a one-press Av or Tv mode when you need it.

06-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
That's not what it's for... let's say you're photographing outdoors in the shade and have the camera set to f/4.5, 1/250th and ISO100, and then you go out into a sunlit area and suddenly f/4.5 is too bright. Now, you could look at the meter and adjust the aperture to match, but it's potentially much faster to hit the green button, that if set to Av shift, will automatically set the aperture to a value the meter thinks would be appropriate. For instance, if it gave you +1.7EV at f/4.5, then hitting the green button will give you f/8 and show 0.0EV because it's now at the correct exposure value, according to the meter. Same thing goes for Tv shift - it's basically a one-press Av or Tv mode when you need it.
Yes I know, but it also affect what setting will be bracketed in manual mode. At least on k-mount cameras.
Pentax K5 Aperture in Manual Bracketing | A Viewfinder Darkly
06-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes I know, but it also affect what setting will be bracketed in manual mode. At least on k-mount cameras.
Pentax K5 Aperture in Manual Bracketing | A Viewfinder Darkly
Hmm, last few times I've bracketed shots in manual mode it ended up changing both values, I'll have to do some testing to see if changing the setting does anything.
06-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

I ran into this issue a while back and NO, there is no way to do it in manual mode.
Sucks.
I can't/don't want to use AV or any other auto mode.
Other manufacturers have got this right, come on Pentax its your turn to write some new firmware.

R
06-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #8

Thanks for posting this! You would not believe how long I have searched for a way to make my Pentax 645's do Tv-shift-only auto-bracketing in manual mode, when used with lenses lacking a manual aperture ring. I have never encountered the advice to change the green button function, but you're exactly right -- setting it to Tv-shift now has my cameras (both 645D and 645Z) working the way I've wanted them to with auto-aperture lenses, for the past 4.5 years. Post of the year vote for me.

Once again, a big THANK YOU!

Last edited by Royce Howland; 06-27-2015 at 11:36 AM.
06-28-2015, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Huh... well screw me sideways, it does work if you switch the green button to Tv priority, talk about cryptic functionality!

Edit: I don't think that this is going to affect me too much though, with the Z's dynamic range there are few shots I can't get in one shot, but the more you know...

Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 06-28-2015 at 02:42 AM.
07-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #10

Well I am impressed, could not figure this one out and never would have. Thank you Fogel70!
08-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #11

Ditto from me. A while back I had posted the same question elsewhere in the forum, with no resolution. Thanks Fogel70!

Pentax programmers please don't be so cryptic!!