Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I'd read that article previously, and I thought it was a fair contribution, even though it was hardly a scientific comparison, to which the author readily admitted. The real advantage of the 645, or medium format in general, came through pretty clearly, as I read it.

If you want to read biased diatribes, there's always Ken Rockwell.
Which reminds me that yesterday I've read (by sheer chance) him decrying the packaging of Pentax cameras, comparing them to chinese iphone clones... way to avoid talking about the fact that the construction of the cameras is among the sturdiest for that price range... but real photographers oph course shoot philm...

06-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #17

cheers for the feedback guys. I've had about 25 emails by people saying thanks. I have chosen not to read the comments on peta now

my web stats are through the roof! pity they aren't clients!

The 645z wedding review I'm writing will go around like wildfire though I'm sure. I'm putting some effort into that one.

If you were going to buy some used 645 lenses, I'd go and buy them now
06-28-2015, 12:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
cheers for the feedback guys. I've had about 25 emails by people saying thanks. I have chosen not to read the comments on peta now

my web stats are through the roof! pity they aren't clients!

The 645z wedding review I'm writing will go around like wildfire though I'm sure. I'm putting some effort into that one.

Looking forward to read it!
06-28-2015, 02:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

A local store is selling a used FA 80-160 for $450, but somehow I feel like I shouldn't be dropping money on it just yet, because I really want to wait for the new stabilized version, even if it ends up at 4~5x the price...
They also have a 300 & 400mm, but those aren't focal lengths I'm interested in.

06-28-2015, 02:52 AM   #20

The flack you encountered was pretty predicable. Doing anything Canon vs Nikon is bad enough but comparing an 18mp one to a 36 mp one is bound to incite riots by the faithful. And then you add an interloper that nearly doubles the resolution again. There are too many gassers out there for whom acquiring the 'best' is not mere passion, its a question of ego. You can't be surprised at strong reactions when you name names and use the same sort of methodology that serious comparisons use, i.e. shooting the same scene, altering iso, looking at noise. Waves all kinds of red flags that simply can't be ignored by those sad souls whose self-identity is defined by the gear they use.

I think you would have fared far better and achieved more the result you desired had you approached this without any equipment names.... i.e the article could have been entitled something along the lines of, 'Comparing photos from three random cameras by three manufacturers with three different resolutions... lets have some fun'. 97.467% of their energy would have spent on trying to guess what was being used, rather neatly deflecting any potential ire away from the author. All the discussion would have been around guessing what equipment was in play.
06-28-2015, 03:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

guys, this was me.
Into the lions den

+1 for bravery.
07-07-2015, 01:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

guys, this was me. and to make it clear, this was a practice run (writing wise) at a proper 645z wedding review I'm currently writing for petapixel. I didn't expect them to run this one.

The amount of flaming in the facebook comments is astounding. I truly can't understand why people act the way they do over the internet. Of course it's a silly comparison, thats the point of it. I had some gear here and we said "hey lets try them at the same time".
It's because everyone's an armchair expert these days Gav. The degree of nasty is scary. I've seen reviews which claim the 645z trounces the D810 for shadow detail and noise and yet others say the D810 wins.

I've got a d810 and the amp glow kills almost any shadow lifting beyond a couple of stops anyway. My k-5 has about zero amp glow and I was hoping the d810 could match that standard after my experience of the D800e.

Anyway, I'm considering selling off most of my Nikon kit and keeping the D810 and a core of lenses in favour of a 645Z and three decent lenses. Not being able to actually test one though, makes the process all the more difficult.

Any review is always welcome in light of the fact Dx0Mark have no intention of reviewing the camera.

Cheers
Steve

07-07-2015, 05:32 AM   #23

hey steve. I actually have a d810 here at the moment from a friend. I would pick a 645z any day over it if you didn't need the speed of a dslr. Give me these MF files any day.
07-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

hey steve. I actually have a d810 here at the moment from a friend. I would pick a 645z any day over it if you didn't need the speed of a dslr. Give me these MF files any day.
The type of photography I do these days is more related to a MF workflow anyway. The faster I shoot the worse I get.