Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax used in Nikon v Canon comparison

Better than no media mentions at all, I guess.

Comparing Photos from the Canon 1D X, Nikon D810, and Pentax 645z

06-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This article is a harmless bit of fluff, and very amateurish.

The content on PetaPixel have been getting very thin recently. They will seemingly publish anything nowadays.
06-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

"Yeah, the Pentax's not used in the DR comparison, nope! too good it was... "
06-26-2015, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
"Yeah, the Pentax's not used in the DR comparison, nope! too good it was... "
Yoda did the comparison?

06-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Yoda did the comparison?
Would Master Yoda be a Pentaxian? He probably won't even shoot digital, let alone take pictures...
06-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yoda is deceptively good with tech. Jedi are supposed to hand craft their own light sabers. Maybe he just lived in the swamp because he was filming Duck Dynasty.
06-26-2015, 06:55 PM - 3 Likes   #7

guys, this was me. and to make it clear, this was a practice run (writing wise) at a proper 645z wedding review I'm currently writing for petapixel. I didn't expect them to run this one.

The amount of flaming in the facebook comments is astounding. I truly can't understand why people act the way they do over the internet. Of course it's a silly comparison, thats the point of it. I had some gear here and we said "hey lets try them at the same time".

06-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

As he admits, the comparison is not worth much.
06-27-2015, 02:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
guys, this was me. and to make it clear, this was a practice run (writing wise) at a proper 645z wedding review I'm currently writing for petapixel. I didn't expect them to run this one.
I knew it was you as soon as I saw that teddy bear
QuoteQuote:
The amount of flaming in the facebook comments is astounding. I truly can't understand why people act the way they do over the internet. Of course it's a silly comparison, thats the point of it. I had some gear here and we said "hey lets try them at the same time".
I thought it was a fun comparison, but to be fair the majority of people who actually write commentary on photography sites are "internet experts" who pour over charts all day long and don't actually have works of their own, but still have the balls to bang on actual photographers. Good thing this article wasn't posted on DPReview then! I can only imagine the things people would say there... I rather wouldn't actually. In any case, you should always ignore all of what people say outside of forums, and ignore about 50% of what people do say on forums, the amount of "truth" out there is getting out of hand.

Just a question, but which color profile did you use for the 645Z? or was it a custom one? The Adobe Standard profile in Lightroom is pretty terrible as far as skin tones are concerned.
06-27-2015, 03:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Yoda is deceptively good with tech. Jedi are supposed to hand craft their own light sabers. Maybe he just lived in the swamp because he was filming Duck Dynasty.
Yeah but "All the things with me always are, in the Force they flow; with the Force see them I can!"
So why take a picture in the first place?
06-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
I knew it was you as soon as I saw that teddy bear
I thought it was a fun comparison, but to be fair the majority of people who actually write commentary on photography sites are "internet experts" who pour over charts all day long and don't actually have works of their own, but still have the balls to bang on actual photographers. Good thing this article wasn't posted on DPReview then! I can only imagine the things people would say there... I rather wouldn't actually. In any case, you should always ignore all of what people say outside of forums, and ignore about 50% of what people do say on forums, the amount of "truth" out there is getting out of hand.

Just a question, but which color profile did you use for the 645Z? or was it a custom one? The Adobe Standard profile in Lightroom is pretty terrible as far as skin tones are concerned.
embedded profile (which i have LR set to default to on 645z files).
06-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote

Thanks for sharing it.

I have learned too often about the dangers of posting comparison photos on the internet. People are very quick to attack slight differences in focus, framing or anything else. At the same time, in my opinion, not everyone is going to use a test lab to shoot comparisons and you can still see differences in camera output without that.
06-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

I have learned too often about the dangers of posting comparison photos on the internet. People are very quick to attack slight differences in focus, framing or anything else.
Well, especially if those photos are used by the author to justify some sort of conclusion! ☺
06-27-2015, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Gavin,

I don't understand the flaming at all. It was 3 cameras that you had in hand, a comparative image review using real world images. How is that any different from the sh!t that Steve Huff puts on his site, or Luminous Landscape or others that people always give the highest fluffiest praise to?

Other than actual tripod shots of a set up test doll scene like Diglloyd does, what do people want? You took a few images and put them up.

I think the review was ok as it compares them well. How cares that one is 18mp, one 36 and one 50, not me. Plenty of pros who read that would have 1Dx's and would value a direct comparison.

People need to get over it, and most probably even don't own any of the 2 SLRs, let alone the Z.

Edit: I was not saying that LL posts crap images, or Huffs site, more a reference to the fact that if people are flaming this review or inaccuracy, then the shots on Huffs and others could also be seen in the same light, heck LL doesn't even put up full size crops on most occasions. But LL has other good qualities to their writing and many years of experience that provides a trusted opinion.
06-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd read that article previously, and I thought it was a fair contribution, even though it was hardly a scientific comparison, to which the author readily admitted. The real advantage of the 645, or medium format in general, came through pretty clearly, as I read it.

If you want to read biased diatribes, there's always Ken Rockwell.