Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2015, 02:08 AM   #1

Pentax 645 33-55 lens wobble

I just purchased a used 645 FA 33-55 lens and although everything appears okay, there is a significant wobble in the lens. Looking back to front, the lens appears to move slightly as if in two pieces: the wobble moves all the front glass apart from the rear glass. It moves about 1mm. I'm going to test the lens at home tonight.

I don't have any other lenses which do this; should I be concerned?

06-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes the pentax lens wobble rears its head again! I had a P67 90-180 that did that quite a bit , it was about 140 bucks to fix at lens repair shop. I also had a 645 35mm A that did it. I just left it that way. Prime lens on a tripod most of the time.
If i had an FA lens that did that i would get rid of it or repair it.
06-30-2015, 05:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. Did you send in your lens for repair to a business or was it local?
06-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had mine repaired in Los Angeles at shop that fixes large format and other pro gear. But I heard a rumor that Ricoh is going to open a USA service center soonish. Which would be great! The current third party outfit is a total joke and thats being kind. But not that many years ago I used to send my 67 gear to pentax denver for great repair service, so lets hope Ricoh brings that level of service back to the USA.

06-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1mm wobble is normal for this lens. Mine had it from brand new and also after it was returned from repair in japan after a drop accident.
Nothing to worry about.
06-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have found a few lense samples to have slight movement in them.. generally, If its only minor I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited by Thomasbrowphoto; 06-30-2015 at 06:40 PM.
07-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

I have an FA 45-85mm that has developed a bit of wobble between the front & back segments. It's not significant so far, and isn't affecting optical performance as far as I can tell. But since the lens used to be tight and I use & rely on my gear pretty heavily, at some point I'll send it for repair just to make sure something isn't progressively coming apart.
07-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Royce Howland Quote
I have an FA 45-85mm that has developed a bit of wobble between the front & back segments. It's not significant so far, and isn't affecting optical performance as far as I can tell. But since the lens used to be tight and I use & rely on my gear pretty heavily, at some point I'll send it for repair just to make sure something isn't progressively coming apart.
Same here, my FA45-85 has developped a slight wobble too, no affect on performace thus far.