Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

First 645Z story shot at night- many images over 12k iso

Tripod was stolen mid shoot so much of this was shot handheld with streetlight and a small LED- and I was using old manual focus 75mm and 120mm wide open for this- hence all that blurriness- luckily it fit with the grit and feel of the story- albeit a bit painful to see (for me at least).

This would not have been possible with medium format not long ago.

Of course the black and white studio were strobed, taken before we took off to go to the location.

I am very very happy with the 645Z, although it is a totally different beast than 35mm. Just really impressive.

Exclusive: Nick Ayler in 'The Silk Road' by Richard Gerst

Last edited by rgerst; 07-03-2015 at 04:28 PM.
07-04-2015, 01:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is it wrong if I like the 12,800 shots the most? 645Z noise totally looks like film grain with smooth random distribution that's also monochromatic, all of which makes it visually pleasing.

My Canon 5D2 used to turn into a hot digital mess past ISO3200 that was visible on web jpegs, the fact that this is doable by any camera is impressive, not just MF.

Sorry about the tripod, I hope it wasn't too big of a loss?
07-04-2015, 04:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
Is it wrong if I like the 12,800 shots the most? 645Z noise totally looks like film grain with smooth random distribution that's also monochromatic, all of which makes it visually pleasing.

My Canon 5D2 used to turn into a hot digital mess past ISO3200 that was visible on web jpegs, the fact that this is doable by any camera is impressive, not just MF.

Sorry about the tripod, I hope it wasn't too big of a loss?
Yes I agree there is something "even" about the noise that does not bother me and can look almost pleasing.
I will say the noise on the Canon 1DX/1DC is even a bit more organic lookiing/filmic but it is also larger and more varied.

The tripod luckily was not a big loss- I had taken a less expensive Monfrotto (actually their mono that has the 3 extendable feet to turn it into a more stable tool- I use it in the city when I am running and gunning as it draws less attention) and therefore was not too sad- the assistant was quite upset though, but I just reminded him these things happen.