Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2015, 01:51 AM   #1

645z Nonstop Cleaning After Shutdown

I've been in Nepal for the past week venturing into the hills where it can get very muddy and wet especially during monsoon season. I came back to my hotel yesterday and realized that after I shut off my 645z the sensor cleaning (at least the squeaky sound) keeps going infinitely and the battery indicator on the top LCD blinks continuously. I opened it up and couldn't see any dirt on the mirror. The only way for me to stop it is to take the battery out. The camera did get soaked in the rain and some mud and dirt did get onto the camera but my understanding was that this is a weatherproof camera and should easily be able to handle such things. I've used it in the rain plenty before and had no issue. Another thing is dirt got in the focus ring of my 55 f2.8, and though I was mostly able to get it out by rotating the ring round-and-round, I thought weatherproofing was supposed to prevent dirt from getting in there, right?

07-21-2015, 02:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As a stop-gap solution, remove battery, open all doors, remove lens, put in bag with abundant dry rice or silica gel packets in order to dry it thoroughly.
Don't attemp to power on until it's completely dry.
Then see what happens.

Other with more experience than me regarding soaking cameras and the 645Z in particular will probably chime in soon
07-21-2015, 03:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man, I'd love to see some of the photos you took on this trip..!
About the problem.. did any mud or anything get stuck on the on/off switch? Or maybe right at the lens mount? I think the post above started in the right direction. Clean it, dry it, recharge the battery, backup your photos
07-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #4

I do not believe the weatherproof words. Weather sealed does not mean weatherproof. It's electronics and as such take care. I use bad weather protectors just in case.

07-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My guess would be some dit underground the on/off switch. Maybe try and clean it.
07-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Oh yeah, and I assume you already disable the "auto sensor clean on shutdown", right? that might be a temporary solution, along with removing the battery every time you power down the camera
07-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by algrove Quote
I do not believe the weatherproof words. Weather sealed does not mean weatherproof. It's electronics and as such take care. I use bad weather protectors just in case.
It's probably as a result of that YouTube video where a guy at the beach tosses the camera into sand, and then washed it off under the showers. People say it has comparable weather sealing to the Leica S, and that camera was tested in a dishwasher.
07-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by chomsky Quote
I thought weatherproofing was supposed to prevent dirt from getting in there, right?
Weather sealing certainly helps in most cases, but it doesn't make the camera immune to dust or moisture ingress, especially if the water is under high pressure or if the rings on the lens are turned excessively. It's a best practice to be cautious with the camera while out in the elements. Regardless, if your camera is still malfunctioning, it should be covered under warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
PDL
Pentaxian

Did you use a WR lens or an old Pentax 645 lens.

Sealing is only as good as the weakest link,

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
07-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter

viewfinder

and dont forget to check the viewfinder for moisture after such an adventure. i have already had to take mine apart and dry it after a waterfall in the rain shoot. turns out the viewfinder on a Z has no weathersealing. no rubber O ring. the good news was that the prism is sealed from the viewfinder.