Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #1

Pentax 645 with 55mm F2.8 Lens

I just bought this beautiful 645 camera on E bay. Have aDolica Proline GX600B200 Tri Pod rated @ 24LBS. I am worried that It may not be suitable for the 645 with lens. Any suggestions?

07-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm going to assume you got the 645D, in which case you're going to want a pretty solid tripod, but anything would be better than what you have now. Look at various brands such as Manfrotto, Gitzo, Oben, Induro, Sirui, etc. Also figure out what your budget is, decent tripods start at $300, and that's not counting the head.

My first tripod was a $380 Manfrotto aluminum tripod with a pan/tilt head, and it was pretty decent, now I use a Gitzo with geared head that amount to $1400, so the money you can spend is quite variable.
07-26-2015, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
I'm going to assume you got the 645D, in which case you're going to want a pretty solid tripod, but anything would be better than what you have now. Look at various brands such as Manfrotto, Gitzo, Oben, Induro, Sirui, etc. Also figure out what your budget is, decent tripods start at $300, and that's not counting the head.

My first tripod was a $380 Manfrotto aluminum tripod with a pan/tilt head, and it was pretty decent, now I use a Gitzo with geared head that amount to $1400, so the money you can spend is quite variable.
Thanks for your helpful Information. The Pentax I have is a 645 original camera in mint condition with a F2.8 lens 55mm I want to do landscape photography. I have been in love with photography since high school can;t shake the bug now I am 71 yrs old!
07-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by tyrainman1965 Quote
Thanks for your helpful Information. The Pentax I have is a 645 original camera in mint condition with a F2.8 lens 55mm I want to do landscape photography. I have been in love with photography since high school can;t shake the bug now I am 71 yrs old!
Welcome to the forums tyrainman1965!

I think you will love the new camera. Is this your first medium format camera? From what i read your tripod is rated at 15lbs actually, and it will probably work in a pinch for that body and lens, you may want to use use a bungee cord and your camera bag to anchor the center column on the longer exposures (and eventually shutter release cord).

Kolor-Pikker was right though, you may want to invest in a better tripod and head for your camera at some point. Usually when purchasing a medium format or a DSLR its time to invest in a more professional tripod leg and head setup, also both pieces have their own weight ratings.

The big thing to take note is that different companies rate tripods and heads differently, so take that rating with a grain of salt. Many people look at their heaviest camera & lens and follow a 3x rule when selecting a tripod and head to be sure its sturdy enough. You'll probably want to shop around for a good carbon fiber set of legs to carry around on location, they are a lot lighter than aluminum. I personally have the previously mentioned Induro legs, the CT-214 set to be specific. Most people prefer a nice professional ball head, but i never really found the need to upgrade past my trusty old Manfroto 3047 pan/tilt head I use with my Gitzo 410 legs.

07-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't just rate the tripod but also the tripod-head. Make sure you get one that can handle double the weight that it claims on the specs.
07-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the information I ordered A SLIK Pro 700 DX tripod from B&H Photo and have read good reviews also I have a Giotto ball head MH 1001.