Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now is the time to buy Pentax 645d

Having 2 645N2 with a good collection of lenses I have been thinking since quite some time for a 645D but the price was way too high (and difficult to convince my wife).

I love film but sometimes I think the 645D can add something more when lots of details are needed or when I do not want to limit myself to 16 views on an afternoon.

So today after reading everything available over and over again in the last week I made the move and ordered a 645D with the 55mm lens for 3.999euros in Germany.
Quite a bunch of money but brand new and with a 2 year warranty I found that this was a better deal than a second hand from eBay from outside Europe.

Sure the Z is better but the price for a Z is just too much.
(And as a film shooter less interested in live view or high ISO or the speed to display the image).

I think that below 4000euros for a medium format (with the 55mm lens) is a pretty good deal and not sure the price will go much lower as I imagine that production will stop in the near future.

Thanks for your thoughts on this (took me some effort to place the order lol).

Anyway will arrive just on time to exercise with the 645D before my trip to Porto (Portugal) early september where it should feel at home with that colourful city (and intend to bring the 645Nii with me also).

08-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #2

I must admit that I can't imagine Pentax clearing out the remaining 645D's at under $300 (like the K-50's). Still, it will be interesting to see how low the MF body on the way out goes and if it starts a trend.
08-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well it recently dropped by another $300 to $3999...I think it might drop lower but it'll still cost a couple thousand regardless.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think the sony A7rII is a better deal if you don't mind the crop factor. The sensor will be significantly better in all performance characteristics. Plus there is 4k video and sensor IS.

08-03-2015, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
I think the sony A7rII is a better deal if you don't mind the crop factor. The sensor will be significantly better in all performance characteristics. Plus there is 4k video and sensor IS.
Crop factor is one of the big reasons to go medium-format. Other big reasons include control of DOF, aspect ratio, and higher quality, modern lenses. I admire and respect Sony for what they have done, but the reason I didn't purchase them in the past is that they have big holes in their system which they still haven't plugged. When you combine Pentax's current lens line-up for the cropped 645 with their support for earlier 645 and 67 lenses, you have a very versatile system.

Now, those A7 series cameras would be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME if Sony could figure out how to make a decent line-up of pancake lenses . . .
08-04-2015, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

If you are shooting low iso or predominantly landscape or studio any high iso advantage to the Sony becomes moot.

Also, quite a lot of the legacy A and FA Pentax 645 lenses are not that expensive. Compare that to the price of Sony Zeiss lenses and Pentax seems a bargain.

Also, remember there is a unique look to medium format that the fullframe Sony cannot replicate.
08-04-2015, 02:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Even if the sensor of the 645D is from a older generation, I don't think a A7rII can be compared to a 645D. Don't be fooled by dxo figures. Just compare images from a D7000 to a D700 for a bokeh panorama. Even if the sensor of the D7000 exhibit better relative perf per pixel level, a bokeh panorama done with a D7000 + 50 1.4 would not compare to the same bokeh panarama made with a D700 + 85 1.4
08-04-2015, 02:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think if you own a set of 645 lenses, it certainly makes a lot of sense. For low iso work, the 645D is really nice and certainly for the price, it will get you some really nice results.

08-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yes I have a few.

Fa 35, 75, 150, 200, 300(5.6)
FA 45-85 and 80-160 as well as A120.

Will allow me when I go for a photo (trip) to take my 645NII and 645D with me knowing that they share the same lenses.
08-05-2015, 01:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spotreunion Quote
Yes I have a few. Fa 35, 75, 150, 200, 300(5.6) FA 45-85 and 80-160 as well as A120.
you've got your reason ^^
and maybe "trying before buying" ^^
08-05-2015, 02:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Crop factor is one of the big reasons to go medium-format. Other big reasons include control of DOF, aspect ratio, and higher quality, modern lenses. I admire and respect Sony for what they have done, but the reason I didn't purchase them in the past is that they have big holes in their system which they still haven't plugged. When you combine Pentax's current lens line-up for the cropped 645 with their support for earlier 645 and 67 lenses, you have a very versatile system.

Now, those A7 series cameras would be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME if Sony could figure out how to make a decent line-up of pancake lenses . . .
To get quality high enough to be resolved on a 42mp sensor with a small flat lens (oh and you'd want it to be f/4 at least) would be quite a physical challenge and a challenge of physics. Canon Olympus Panasonic and Sony themselves have done it with their cropped sensors, but to do it for FF high resolution at the highest quality would be expensive I suspect. To do it with loss of quality would be to invite someone to stab them in the back.
08-06-2015, 10:59 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
To get quality high enough to be resolved on a 42mp sensor with a small flat lens (oh and you'd want it to be f/4 at least) would be quite a physical challenge and a challenge of physics. Canon Olympus Panasonic and Sony themselves have done it with their cropped sensors, but to do it for FF high resolution at the highest quality would be expensive I suspect. To do it with loss of quality would be to invite someone to stab them in the back.
Don't care. I just want a FF camera with lens that I can stick in a jacket pocket. Of course, that's why I like Pentax -- not that they'll fit in a jacket pocket, but that the Limiteds are awesomely small.
08-12-2015, 12:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
If you are shooting low iso or predominantly landscape or studio any high iso advantage to the Sony becomes moot.

Also, quite a lot of the legacy A and FA Pentax 645 lenses are not that expensive. Compare that to the price of Sony Zeiss lenses and Pentax seems a bargain.

Also, remember there is a unique look to medium format that the fullframe Sony cannot replicate.
I'm with you in the last point in particular. I have an A7R and love its versatility, however I often prefer the look I get from my CCD Leica M9, despite the known relative weaknesses of CCD to CMOS.

I sold my Canon 5D Mk 3 that sat virtually unused after buying the M9 (used) and A7R (new). I traded a couple of Leica M and Leica R lenses, and a relatively small amount of cash, for a 645D with a mere 200 shots on it. Even after paying import duty (charged only on the cash component luckily although I submitted full details in my invoice) I scored an absolute bargain in $ terms. I already had a P645N and really liked the results and scans I could get with Velvia. My lenses were the older A75, A200 and A45.

It's taken a while to get used again to a big camera but I do love the output from the 645D and I really love the low cost of P645 and P67 lenses! I have managed to score a couple of real bargains with the FA 45-85 and the P67 55/4 lenses.

The handling of the camera is actually pretty good and the viewfinder and interface/menus are excellent. I'm just a self-indulgent and lucky amateur, however my initial thoughts of a short trial of the 645D followed by a likely sale have been most probably curtailed by the results I'm getting.
08-13-2015, 12:59 AM   #14

Original Poster
I got my brand new 645D delivered.
As I am already used to the 645NII the weight/size is not a real issue.
Up to ISO1000 is OK for me as I am used to shoot film and never go beyond 400.
For everything that is sports (mainly surfing) I have the K3 which is perfect for this and if I need a really small device I have the GR.

Have done some test shots and like the color and the way the images are rendered (without talking of the huge details that are taken with this 40M sensor).
As said in many reviews this is a camera made for photographers.

Anyway for me at least the most achievable dream camera and although 4000euros (body + 50mm lens) is quite some money I think it is really worth it.
08-13-2015, 01:15 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spotreunion Quote
Have done some test shots and like the color and the way the images are rendered (without talking of the huge details that are taken with this 40M sensor). As said in many reviews this is a camera made for photographers.
share some photos with us when you have the time really appreciate !!